Work permit

Old Oct 21st 2005, 3:38 pm
Forum Regular

toyer1 is on a distinguished road
Default Work permit

Hi all

Will be moving to Calgary when the HRSDC do there thing.

Just a couple of questions. Does the bank draft for $150 have to be drawn from a Canadian bank, or will an english bank be ok. And will the wife be able to apply for jobs and then get the work permit afterwards, and if so does anyone know how long it takes.

And one more question, Do my children need student visas(they are 6 and 3) or can they just be enrolled in the local school/kindergarten.

Thanks in anticipation.
Old Oct 21st 2005, 3:47 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Work permit

Cant help on the study permits,(there seems to be some inconsistency on that) but you should apply for an "open" work permit for your OH when you apply for your specific one.

IIRC any bank will do, they mostly have reciprocal agreements with the "right" bank for any currency. But dont quote me on that!
Old Oct 21st 2005, 4:03 pm
Forum Regular

skigordi has a brilliant futureskigordi has a brilliant futureskigordi has a brilliant futureskigordi has a brilliant futureskigordi has a brilliant futureskigordi has a brilliant future

A UK bank can give you a draft drawn on a Canadian Bank which is acceptable
I agree...it is easier to apply for the spousal work permit at the same time. She will need it before she applies for a job.

The study permits for kids are a good question..London CIC says you need them....Immigration here (certainly in Toronto) say they are not necessary. Personally we got them just in case we come across anyone int he future who wants to be pedantic about it! It seems that as long as you have a work permit..the kids will be enrolled ok (here in Ontario anyway)

Originally Posted by toyer1
Hi all

Will be moving to Calgary when the HRSDC do there thing.

Just a couple of questions. Does the bank draft for $150 have to be drawn from a Canadian bank, or will an english bank be ok. And will the wife be able to apply for jobs and then get the work permit afterwards, and if so does anyone know how long it takes.

And one more question, Do my children need student visas(they are 6 and 3) or can they just be enrolled in the local school/kindergarten.

Thanks in anticipation.
Old Oct 21st 2005, 4:14 pm
Forum Regular

toyer1 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by skigordi
A UK bank can give you a draft drawn on a Canadian Bank which is acceptable
I agree...it is easier to apply for the spousal work permit at the same time. She will need it before she applies for a job.

The study permits for kids are a good question..London CIC says you need them....Immigration here (certainly in Toronto) say they are not necessary. Personally we got them just in case we come across anyone int he future who wants to be pedantic about it! It seems that as long as you have a work permit..the kids will be enrolled ok (here in Ontario anyway)
Thanks for the info. Can the wife apply for the permit once she is in Calgary. Not sure how to apply for an open permit for the wife.
Old Oct 21st 2005, 4:19 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the info. Can the wife apply for the permit once she is in Calgary. Not sure how to apply for an open permit for the wife.
Do it in parallel with your application through london if you can.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/work/worker-4.html

According to the CIC website
"You do not need a Study Permit if you are a minor child already in Canada, and your parents are not “visitors” in Canada." So technically as you are a temporary resident you shouldnt need a study permit for the kids if everyone knows the rules, which is by no means guaranteed.

If they are older kids though they wont be able to work here without a WP of their own, even paperrounds / part time etc.

Last edited by iaink; Oct 21st 2005 at 4:49 pm.
Old Oct 21st 2005, 4:21 pm
Essex hopefuls

4 of a kind is an unknown quantity at this point

We arranged a bank draft through Barclays so no probs there.
I was granted a spousal work permit on the back of hubbys HRDC job offer, of course that means a little more money..... just another form to fill. I downloaded it all of the CIC website.
We applied for kids study permits too. Better to be sure, and in the scheme of things, the cost for the kids and me wasn't too bad.
Old Oct 21st 2005, 4:21 pm
Forum Regular

skigordi has a brilliant futureskigordi has a brilliant futureskigordi has a brilliant futureskigordi has a brilliant futureskigordi has a brilliant futureskigordi has a brilliant future

You can do it from inside...but it isn't any cheaper so you may as well do it all at once

Use the same WP application that you are using and fill in the relevant sections. State that you are applying for a spousal open permit in your cover letter...and make sure you include the money they want for it

Old Oct 21st 2005, 6:56 pm
Forum Regular

pak2 will become famous soon enoughpak2 will become famous soon enough
Smile Re: Work permit

When I came in through immigration we were asked if my wife wanted an open work permit. At the time we said no. Later it turned out that we could do with one so we ended up having to drive to the USA border to get one. It was quick and painless but we did have to drive along way. So if I were you I would either get it by ticking the box on your application, or say yes when they ask you at immigration. Either way is alot easier than the alternative.

I hope this helps.

Phil