Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

unpaid leave???

unpaid leave???

Old Oct 21st 2005, 6:09 pm
millymolly

mandyrawlinson is an unknown quantity at this point
Default unpaid leave???

i have read about the poor holiday entitlement in canada, will employers let you take a further 2 weeks unpaid??
what about paid sick days, do you get any, or is it like blighty were only the girlie type jobs(office workers) get that benefit.

bank holidays, i think you get 2 more than us dont you, its Trafalgar 200 day here, no bloody bank holiday for it though.

whats the average English family do at the weekend there, summer and winter????

cheers
leadman
p.s I'm starting to feel like one of the crowd already.
Old Oct 21st 2005, 6:19 pm
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: unpaid leave???

Its unusual to be allowed unpaid leave in normal day to day circumstances in lower level jobs as it still costs the employer to arrange cover for your absence (overtimes, temps etc) and creates a headache when others want to do the same thing.

Ive had sick pay before, if you didnt take it they paid it out as a bonus which was OK.

Weekends...there plenty to do, too much to write down anyway. Unless you are my wife in which case you write down all the things Ive got to do at the weekend
Old Oct 21st 2005, 6:21 pm

NewCalgarian is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by [email protected]
i have read about the poor holiday entitlement in canada, will employers let you take a further 2 weeks unpaid??

That will depend very much on the employer, but judging from experience and many people I know, employers like you to "do your time" before you ask for unpaid leave like that. Some people land jobs with leave as good as in the UK, but there only seems to be a lucky few here in Alberta.

what about paid sick days, do you get any, or is it like blighty were only the girlie type jobs(office workers) get that benefit.

I have to bank overtime to use when I am sick, or make the hours up.

bank holidays, i think you get 2 more than us dont you, its Trafalgar 200 day here, no bloody bank holiday for it though.

Yes that sounds about right - no Easter Monday though
whats the average English family do at the weekend there, summer and winter????

Depends very much on you!
cheers
leadman
p.s I'm starting to feel like one of the crowd already.
Cheers
Old Oct 21st 2005, 7:43 pm
Lotus-eater

Rich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by [email protected]
girlie type jobs(office workers).
Eh, WTF

Rich