Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Bird Flu in UK = Emigration hold up?

Bird Flu in UK = Emigration hold up?

Old Oct 21st 2005, 3:46 pm
Living It!

saund_cp has a brilliant futuresaund_cp has a brilliant futuresaund_cp has a brilliant futuresaund_cp has a brilliant futuresaund_cp has a brilliant futuresaund_cp has a brilliant future
Default Bird Flu in UK = Emigration hold up?

I'm just airing my thoughts and I guess looking for debate (or more likely perhaps, re-assurance), but I have been thinking about the bird flu recently and was wondering if it could affect emigrating to Canada? If it arrives and every 'expert' seems to agree it will, how will this affect free movement between the UK & Canada? I have been reading that plans are being considered to halt all travel to and from affected areas.
Will it, at the least mean it is one of the things we will have to be checked for when we get the medical call up?

What do you think?
Old Oct 21st 2005, 3:53 pm
dbd
Forum Regular

dbd has a spectacular aura aboutdbd has a spectacular aura aboutdbd has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Bird Flu in UK = Emigration hold up?

Originally Posted by saund_cp
I'm just airing my thoughts and I guess looking for debate (or more likely perhaps, re-assurance), but I have been thinking about the bird flu recently and was wondering if it could affect emigrating to Canada? If it arrives and every 'expert' seems to agree it will, how will this affect free movement between the UK & Canada? I have been reading that plans are being considered to halt all travel to and from affected areas.
Will it, at the least mean it is one of the things we will have to be checked for when we get the medical call up?

What do you think?
It depends on the definition of "affected areas". When there was SARS in Toronto I was commuting to a job in the UK. The health and safety people wouldn't allow anyone from Toronto into the office so I drove to Montreal and flew from there. I expect something similar would work in reverse, if London has Bird Flu and that's an issue for the Candians, you could take a train to Paris and arrive from there.
Old Oct 21st 2005, 4:01 pm
Loving it here!

ClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to behold

We had avian flu in the Fraser Valley (Greater Vancouver) and it was not a problem. but that was affecting birds - not people.

I do understand what your concern. The SARS outbreak delayed the adoption of my friend's daughter by a couple of months (as they could not travel to China...) it was a desparate wait for them

Hm, a situation like the Spanish Flu' has not come our way for nearly a centuary, fingers crossed it will not.

If it does delay your emigration by a few months will that drastically alter your plans?

Clare
Old Oct 21st 2005, 4:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

MarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond repute

If it starts going from human to human, we'll have a lot more to worry about than emigration delays. And if it doesn't, then there's no real reason to have any effect on emigration: unless, maybe, you work with poultry.
Old Oct 21st 2005, 4:17 pm
Living It!

saund_cp has a brilliant futuresaund_cp has a brilliant futuresaund_cp has a brilliant futuresaund_cp has a brilliant futuresaund_cp has a brilliant futuresaund_cp has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by ClareBC
We had avian flu in the Fraser Valley (Greater Vancouver) and it was not a problem. but that was affecting birds - not people.

I do understand what your concern. The SARS outbreak delayed the adoption of my friend's daughter by a couple of months (as they could not travel to China...) it was a desparate wait for them

Hm, a situation like the Spanish Flu' has not come our way for nearly a centuary, fingers crossed it will not.

If it does delay your emigration by a few months will that drastically alter your plans?

Clare
I guess if the human to human form breaks out then emigrating would be a minor issue to that of self survival. Let's hope that the experts/scientists can get this sorted ASAP. Could be a good time to buy shares in ROCHE the drugs company. No, delaying won't de-rail our plans, but how long will it take to re-solve?
Old Oct 21st 2005, 4:20 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Biiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond repute

I had no idea people in the UK were phoning in reports of sick pigeons!

http://www.spiked-online.com/Articles/0000000CADBF.htm
Old Oct 21st 2005, 7:48 pm
Lotus-eater

Rich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MarkG
If it starts going from human to human, we'll have a lot more to worry about than emigration delays.
And GWBush would enforce immediate closure of the US-Canada border, as reported recently. That'll keep those pesky terrorists from coming over the line as well. Handy

The Commander-in-Chief (great job title for a Texan) has already taken over control of the National Guard (which was previously a role for the State Governor) just in case of the bird flu pandemic/apocalypse

When're they invading, eh ?

Rich.