Work ideas?

Old Jun 6th 2015, 11:38 am
BE Enthusiast

caleo has a reputation beyond reputecaleo has a reputation beyond reputecaleo has a reputation beyond reputecaleo has a reputation beyond reputecaleo has a reputation beyond reputecaleo has a reputation beyond reputecaleo has a reputation beyond reputecaleo has a reputation beyond reputecaleo has a reputation beyond reputecaleo has a reputation beyond reputecaleo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Work ideas?

Originally Posted by Siouxie

Soooo getting back to Tirytory's post... anyone else got any ideas for work?
nothing in IT

My friend in Alberta has just completed an online course in medical transcription and got work remotely from home straight away. I will check with her how long the course took - but she was working at the time as well.

Check out Centric health - they have one in Bracebridge - we have one clinic that just does endoscopy - they are always advertising for casual RPNs here and I am tempted, but I don't want to completely quit my current job. I am pretty sure they would jump at the opportunity to have you in a clerical role with all your endoscopy experience. I know Centric covers many things though, so not sure how common it is to have an endoscopy clinic.
Old Jun 6th 2015, 12:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

Yorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond repute

If you were in Wales, not working in healthcare, what would you be doing? Answer that question and you have the solution to this thread

Why do you think that employment opportunities are that different to Wales?
Old Jun 6th 2015, 1:00 pm
Muskoka, Ontario

Tirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by caleo
nothing in IT

My friend in Alberta has just completed an online course in medical transcription and got work remotely from home straight away. I will check with her how long the course took - but she was working at the time as well.

Check out Centric health - they have one in Bracebridge - we have one clinic that just does endoscopy - they are always advertising for casual RPNs here and I am tempted, but I don't want to completely quit my current job. I am pretty sure they would jump at the opportunity to have you in a clerical role with all your endoscopy experience. I know Centric covers many things though, so not sure how common it is to have an endoscopy clinic.

Originally Posted by Yorkiechef
If you were in Wales, not working in healthcare, what would you be doing? Answer that question and you have the solution to this thread

Why do you think that employment opportunities are that different to Wales?
Err because I lived in a CITY with numerous employers and industry, now I live in a town of 15,000 people which relies on summer tourism. A lot of businesses shut for the winter as there is not enough money to make it worth their while opening... thats why employment opportunities are different. I think there's enough anecdotal evidence to suggest that it's not just me who struggles with an option to move on..
Old Jun 6th 2015, 1:13 pm
Muskoka, Ontario

Tirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shard
From your posts it does come accross that you love your job and the healthcare field. Once you are decided on whether you're in Canada for the long haul or not, perhaps it would be worthwhile totally re qualifying. Whether that is an RN, completing degrees or whatever. Perhaps you could retrain in psychology or another healthcare field if the idea of re-taking nursing is hard? The point is you're "youngish", you're able to survive on a single income, and you want an actual career. My two cents.
I think the problem is and this is one that applies to the stay at home parent so certainly not unique to me. I have two in school and one at home so any future work decisions have to be based on my ability to get them from school, pay for childcare, and be flexible around the very long school holidays here. Now back home, I had the best employer who let me work what I needed, plus obviously there were employment laws for parents with children under 6. I had friends and family around to help out occasionally. My husband got more annual leave and so could take some of the responsibility. Here, with the way nursing works:- minimal annual leave until some years in service, and last to choose it with seniority makes it difficult for me to commit to a permanent position so I'm left with casual work which ultimately suits my life situation well, but it does mean that the idea of going back to university to just work casually at the end of it all is not appealing or really works out in a cost/benefit/time scenario. The university is an hour travel time a day, and I would sink a substantial amount of money into it which wouldn't be returned for probably about 10-15 yrs....

I guess that was part of the trade off of moving here.... I remember someone saying (Millie F) that if the whole of something suited everyone it was worth the trade off of individual members losing out a little...
Old Jun 6th 2015, 1:17 pm
Muskoka, Ontario

nothing in IT

Caleo....they have a job for me in Endoscopy (RPN) trouble is it's in London

On second thoughts...there is a larger problem than area, namely that I'm nowhere near being qualified as an RPN yet

Last edited by Tirytory; Jun 6th 2015 at 1:36 pm.
Old Jun 6th 2015, 1:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

Yorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond repute

Seems to me you know the problem and the solution, if you had moved from Cardiff to Dolgellau, you would have had the same problem except you could have continued to work as a nurse. You either have to move again to get greater options in other fields, or invest in the education that will permit you to continue as a nurse. Even if this means you have to move provinces to do so. This thread is so similar to the j smith thread that it is uncanny. You either accept your lot, or, move and get educated. No body is going to hand it to you on a plate. I like snowdonia 😃
Old Jun 6th 2015, 2:08 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tirytory
I think the problem is and this is one that applies to the stay at home parent so certainly not unique to me. I have two in school and one at home so any future work decisions have to be based on my ability to get them from school, pay for childcare, and be flexible around the very long school holidays here. Now back home, I had the best employer who let me work what I needed, plus obviously there were employment laws for parents with children under 6. I had friends and family around to help out occasionally. My husband got more annual leave and so could take some of the responsibility. Here, with the way nursing works:- minimal annual leave until some years in service, and last to choose it with seniority makes it difficult for me to commit to a permanent position so I'm left with casual work which ultimately suits my life situation well, but it does mean that the idea of going back to university to just work casually at the end of it all is not appealing or really works out in a cost/benefit/time scenario. The university is an hour travel time a day, and I would sink a substantial amount of money into it which wouldn't be returned for probably about 10-15 yrs....

I guess that was part of the trade off of moving here.... I remember someone saying (Millie F) that if the whole of something suited everyone it was worth the trade off of individual members losing out a little...
Makes sense. Nevertheless, not a bad idea to think a decade ahead, what will you want to be doing when the little one is more independent (or can be looked after by the elder ones). Seems a good time for some re-training. Distance learning over several years, perhaps. For example, after her first child, one friend re-trained over e number of years to become a lawyer. Not necessarily suggesting that, but just saying the long view might be different than the short view.

I hadn't seen Millie's quote before. Interesting one. Thinking about it.
Old Jun 6th 2015, 2:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

caleo has a reputation beyond reputecaleo has a reputation beyond reputecaleo has a reputation beyond reputecaleo has a reputation beyond reputecaleo has a reputation beyond reputecaleo has a reputation beyond reputecaleo has a reputation beyond reputecaleo has a reputation beyond reputecaleo has a reputation beyond reputecaleo has a reputation beyond reputecaleo has a reputation beyond repute

Caleo....they have a job for me in Endoscopy (RPN) trouble is it's in London

On second thoughts...there is a larger problem than area, namely that I'm nowhere near being qualified as an RPN yet
Haha - that's the one I keep looking at - you could always move out this way - we are in desperate need of good family doctors 😂😂
Old Jun 6th 2015, 2:39 pm
Muskoka, Ontario

Originally Posted by Yorkiechef
Seems to me you know the problem and the solution, if you had moved from Cardiff to Dolgellau, you would have had the same problem except you could have continued to work as a nurse. You either have to move again to get greater options in other fields, or invest in the education that will permit you to continue as a nurse. Even if this means you have to move provinces to do so. This thread is so similar to the j smith thread that it is uncanny. You either accept your lot, or, move and get educated. No body is going to hand it to you on a plate. I like snowdonia � ����
What on earth are you on about?

And by the way do you actually live in Canada now or are you talking with theoretical knowledge?

The thread was actually about change in career paths..just curious in other people's experiences.
Old Jun 6th 2015, 2:45 pm
Muskoka, Ontario

Haha - that's the one I keep looking at - you could always move out this way - we are in desperate need of good family doctors 😂😂
Probably should have moved to London in the first place, but have invested too much here mentally. The only place I would move now is home.

You could go for it on a shift here and there basis, see if you like it? I would definitely go for it obviously...although it's probably lacking the spice of the emergency GI bleeds/foreign bodies side of it... I sort of assumed it was that private out patient type of work anyway.
Old Jun 6th 2015, 8:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

Probably should have moved to London in the first place, but have invested too much here mentally. The only place I would move now is home.

You could go for it on a shift here and there basis, see if you like it? I would definitely go for it obviously...although it's probably lacking the spice of the emergency GI bleeds/foreign bodies side of it... I sort of assumed it was that private out patient type of work anyway.
Definitely more sedate than a regular hospital endoscopy unit! I was sent here for mine.
I would join up for casual - but they are only open weekdays 7-4 and I work all week.
I just thought if your centric up there had something similar they may have a "non registered" job you could do while you wait
Old Jun 7th 2015, 12:56 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shard
Makes sense. Nevertheless, not a bad idea to think a decade ahead, what will you want to be doing when the little one is more independent (or can be looked after by the elder ones). Seems a good time for some re-training. Distance learning over several years, perhaps.
I have a good friend here who was a high school teacher in the UK. Had been for several years. Upon moving to Canada, she was asked to do another 30 credits to prove equal eligibility to be able to teach here. That was about 10 courses, at a cost of many thousands of dollars, which would likely take her several years to complete. She was distinctly unimpressed, put out, and just a little bit insulted.

Fast forward 7 years, which has gone in the blink of an eye, and she is now 9 credits into her requisite courses to become a teacher here. She bit the bullet, swallowed a little pride and gave up her 'bit' job and is now studying like a demon while her kids are in school. The realization that her own kids would be finished school themselves in a couple of years identified that she really wanted to get back into her field.

Just another anecdote to add to the mix.

All I'm thinking is that if Canada is likely a longish term home, and you truly loved your profession, find a way to do it again - even if it takes a few years. Your own kids will be in high school before you know it. You are in an enviable financial position where you can just do stuff along the way to fit in around your busy life.

On the other hand, while I really enjoyed my old job in the UK (cop), there was no way I would or could do it here - so while I have remained in a loosely public service and customer service role (which suits me deep down), I am now in a completely different field than I would ever have thought (HR and benefits). And that's OK. I have different priorities and perspectives from when I was training as a 25 year old. It's OK to move on. It's just hard to figure out what. I get it.
Old Jun 7th 2015, 1:47 am
Muskoka, Ontario

Originally Posted by ann m
I have a good friend here who was a high school teacher in the UK. Had been for several years. Upon moving to Canada, she was asked to do another 30 credits to prove equal eligibility to be able to teach here. That was about 10 courses, at a cost of many thousands of dollars, which would likely take her several years to complete. She was distinctly unimpressed, put out, and just a little bit insulted.

Fast forward 7 years, which has gone in the blink of an eye, and she is now 9 credits into her requisite courses to become a teacher here. She bit the bullet, swallowed a little pride and gave up her 'bit' job and is now studying like a demon while her kids are in school. The realization that her own kids would be finished school themselves in a couple of years identified that she really wanted to get back into her field.

Just another anecdote to add to the mix.

All I'm thinking is that if Canada is likely a longish term home, and you truly loved your profession, find a way to do it again - even if it takes a few years. Your own kids will be in high school before you know it. You are in an enviable financial position where you can just do stuff along the way to fit in around your busy life.

On the other hand, while I really enjoyed my old job in the UK (cop), there was no way I would or could do it here - so while I have remained in a loosely public service and customer service role (which suits me deep down), I am now in a completely different field than I would ever have thought (HR and benefits). And that's OK. I have different priorities and perspectives from when I was training as a 25 year old. It's OK to move on. It's just hard to figure out what. I get it.
Nice post

I know I am lucky to be in a good position, and in truth I will try to get to the same position in nursing. However I guess I was just curious about other people's stories like yourself who didn't carry on with a specific job and did something else instead..

I don't see why I shouldn't like doing something else too if I could hit upon the right thing..
Old Jun 7th 2015, 2:27 am
BE Enthusiast

Juggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond repute

OK I had another idea hope your not offended but if you like pets would you enjoy working for a vet ?
Like an assistant and that's all year round and if your in a more rural location ?
You wouldn't need to be shown how to inject etc ?
Just a thought I had, actually Doctor pol just came on TV lol
Old Jun 7th 2015, 3:12 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Juggernaut1064
OK I had another idea hope your not offended but if you like pets would you enjoy working for a vet ?
Like an assistant and that's all year round and if your in a more rural location ?
You wouldn't need to be shown how to inject etc ?
Just a thought I had, actually Doctor pol just came on TV lol
Vet Tech is as shitty a job as anyone can imagine. Reasonably dangerous, dirty, unrespected and paid peanuts; you really need to love animals to take it on and, if you do, you'll be sickened by the humans you bave to deal with.

I'd think farrier would be a better bet, reasonably dangerous, dirty, likely to do your back in over the long term but respected and well paid; if you have the right clients.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.