Work ideas?

Old May 31st 2015, 5:41 pm
Forum Regular

worklifebalance is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Work ideas?

Originally Posted by Tirytory
I don't really want to focus on me.. More from others who have had to change career paths on immigration to Canada....

Anybody had to do it and what did you change to? Did you go back to school? Open your own business?
I knew before I came here that salary was way lower than I was used to in IT and was prepared for that. What I didn't expect was to get fired from my first 2 jobs because I wouldn't work between 80 and 108 hours a week every week. I got further job offers but the minimum expectation especially from US companies was 80 hours and no overtime pay. Canada actually promotes itself to other countries on the fact it can make IT workers work relentless hours and without pay so with that I consider I had to make the change. Wonder why that was only told to companies relocating here not people??

Now its fingers in all pies. We have renovated our own basement to cater for homestay students and this generates more than enough to pay all bills and other day to day stuff. We have kept our apartment in China where we both worked as an investment and let that out. I now provide some remote IT consultancy to UK and Chinese companies - at UK/Chinese rates which are much higher than Canada's. A little over a year since landing and instead of being stuck to a desk for up to 108 hours a week on a salary not that special we now put in average 40 hours a week and generate more.
Old May 31st 2015, 6:46 pm
Forum Regular

Roberto1980 has a reputation beyond reputeRoberto1980 has a reputation beyond reputeRoberto1980 has a reputation beyond reputeRoberto1980 has a reputation beyond reputeRoberto1980 has a reputation beyond reputeRoberto1980 has a reputation beyond reputeRoberto1980 has a reputation beyond reputeRoberto1980 has a reputation beyond reputeRoberto1980 has a reputation beyond reputeRoberto1980 has a reputation beyond reputeRoberto1980 has a reputation beyond repute

The local country hospital is only advertising for RN and my application with CNO is only for RPN because I was only Diploma trained.

Do you think then that having the degree would enhance employment chances?
Old May 31st 2015, 6:52 pm
Muskoka, Ontario

Tirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Roberto1980
Do you think then that having the degree would enhance employment chances?
I honestly don't know sorry... Until I'm out there looking I guess I won't know. I've been here nearly 18 months and no nearer to finding out than when I arrived. From the point of any country, I think having a degree helps and I would certainly have completed it if I had stayed in the UK. It was needed there for job promotion, evidence of further education but the UK doesn't have the two tier nursing strata that Canada does anymore.

Last edited by Tirytory; May 31st 2015 at 6:55 pm.
Old May 31st 2015, 8:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

tee1 has a reputation beyond reputetee1 has a reputation beyond reputetee1 has a reputation beyond reputetee1 has a reputation beyond reputetee1 has a reputation beyond reputetee1 has a reputation beyond reputetee1 has a reputation beyond reputetee1 has a reputation beyond reputetee1 has a reputation beyond reputetee1 has a reputation beyond reputetee1 has a reputation beyond repute

What do you enjoy doing would be the first question? Any hobbies you could turn into work?
I'm changing career myself and one thing I'll say is that if you want to stick with nursing then 1 or 2 years of jumping through hoops is nothing. Apprenticeships are 4 year so are Canadian degrees. I find the education system here quite ridged and It's frustrating to not have experience and qualifications recognized but it's the way it is and you just have acknowledge that and get on with things.

I've had to move half way across the province( BC) and I'm having to take grade 12 math as I only have GCSE math and Science A levels but the jobs I'm looking at specifically ask for grade 12.
I found it hard to even find a place that would offer 12 math on its own as its normally part of the high school diploma package. I find it extremely frustration to be treated like I have no education due to no grades 12 math and grade 12 English even though I have A levels but its the way it is.

Have a think about what you really enjoy and go for it if you actually want to make a career change or if you want to stick with nursing.

I'm doing a trades introduction course myself to try and decide what trade I'd like to go into.
I'm female so the government is throwing money at me as they see an untapped labor pool and a large shortfall of skilled trades workers in the near future. My course is comply funded as is the foundation course after along with grants rather than loans and tool grants.
I've always enjoyed fixing things and more hands on work. I wish I'd considered trades sooner.

Good luck with what ever you decide

Last edited by tee1; May 31st 2015 at 8:11 pm.
Old May 31st 2015, 8:11 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Residence doesn't help with nursing since I have an open temp work permit anyway. PR app is in process. I do drive but with three young children I can't travel too far for work. The local country hospital is only advertising for RN and my application with CNO is only for RPN because I was only Diploma trained. Whilst I could apply to be assessed for RN now I would have to go through NNAS which can take up to a year, then the CNO then the OSCE assessment then the NCLEX exam that's too much for me I think.. I was or am a hospital nurse and that's where I want to be... Although I don't have the heart for it now. Even PSW have a specific certificate behind their name, and with childcare to think about I need to earn a certain amount for it to be worth while for me to work. It's frustrating.

Two hours away from Toronto... Further to Missisauga/ Brampton. Cottage country is where wealthy Toronto folks and Americans come to summer... Beautiful, lots of lakes and lacking in any real jobs or industry. Not a place to be poor that's for sure. May 24 weekend has signalled the flash cars to come out and about.
Pretty much everything in the medical world in Canada has a specific course that is needed, even in admin stuff like unit clerks.

I am going back to try Mental health worker, personal support worker for mental health folks, apparently personal support worker is not enough so they brought in a new program.
Old May 31st 2015, 9:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

izzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond repute

I worked in forensics as a fingerprint examiner back in Scotland. I knew that wasn't going to be an option when we got here (need to be a police officer and so on, far too convoluted a process plus I wasn't *that* interested in continuing in the profession) so when we got to Canada I became a partner in my OH's fitness business which he started up here, and I've also set up my own online craft supplies business which is growing slowly but steadily (if I could just work out marketing... ). I did some lecturing in forensics at a uni in Halifax but I don't think that's going to turn into very much. I've also just branched out into some web designing for local businesses, and also hope to make a little money with some crafting of some kind - what kind varies week to week at present; could be woodwork, could be sewing, could be jewellery, who knows lol.

When we got here I knew I didn't want the standard 9-5 office job, and I'd had enough bureaucracy in my previous job. So I decided I'd be happiest being in charge of my own career and doing a variey of things. Should one of them become very profitable I'd scale back the others, but I don't think I could ever go back to 'employment', I've been out of it too long!
Old May 31st 2015, 9:56 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
Pretty much everything in the medical world in Canada has a specific course that is needed, even in admin stuff like unit clerks.

I am going back to try Mental health worker, personal support worker for mental health folks, apparently personal support worker is not enough so they brought in a new program.
I'm afraid that increasing credentialism has become the practice in all western societies, especially in the professional sphere.
Old May 31st 2015, 10:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

caleo has a reputation beyond reputecaleo has a reputation beyond reputecaleo has a reputation beyond reputecaleo has a reputation beyond reputecaleo has a reputation beyond reputecaleo has a reputation beyond reputecaleo has a reputation beyond reputecaleo has a reputation beyond reputecaleo has a reputation beyond reputecaleo has a reputation beyond reputecaleo has a reputation beyond repute

As a UK RN (diploma and degree) with almost 25 years experience waiting for CNO assessment, I was unable to work in hospital or long term care without a PSW certificate! I managed to find a job as a PSW for an agency that did not pay mileage or travel time, I decided after three months of paying out of pocket for the opportunity to work (after childcare and gas) that it was not worth it.

I applied for so many jobs while waiting for registration - obviously only ones where I had transferable skills - but not one interview. I assume that they get so many resumes from people with the exact skills, employers can't be bothered to delve into the resume to see the skills.
Old Jun 1st 2015, 1:48 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oink
I'm afraid that increasing credentialism has become the practice in all western societies, especially in the professional sphere.
Its even happening in the hotel world with stupid hospitality certificates that schools offer, while smaller independent hotels don't really care as they pay poor, have a high turn over and so on, the larger hotels where you can potentially have a career can be nearly impossible to land a job at without some sort of certificate, its annoying, not sure what a 6-7 months certificate program will teach me about hotels that working in them for a decade hasn't.

I am going to try my luck with mental health community worker, if that doesn't lead to a better job and wage, I am going to throw to toss in the towel and just stay in a hotel.....

I don't have the time or money resources to go take multiple programs to get degrees and all that jazz.
Old Jun 1st 2015, 2:30 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

Ah you're good I can't believe they're so big here...

JS... I loved my job but I can't even contemplate retraining for it. I have heard that RN's aren't actually as good as back home as much as the province believes their training is superior. I don't know though really.

About the agency Zoe I live in a small town run on tourism... It does limit my job market and opportunities somewhat..

Bats... What could I do with that?
Clinic manager, government, VON manager retirement home manager etx
Old Jun 1st 2015, 5:09 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Its even happening in the hotel world with stupid hospitality certificates that schools offer, while smaller independent hotels don't really care as they pay poor, have a high turn over and so on, the larger hotels where you can potentially have a career can be nearly impossible to land a job at without some sort of certificate, its annoying, not sure what a 6-7 months certificate program will teach me about hotels that working in them for a decade hasn't.

I am going to try my luck with mental health community worker, if that doesn't lead to a better job and wage, I am going to throw to toss in the towel and just stay in a hotel.....

I don't have the time or money resources to go take multiple programs to get degrees and all that jazz.
I think that's a grand idea. Money aside, working to help people is probably very rewarding, especially as you will bring a unique understanding and empathy to the work.
Old Jun 1st 2015, 6:49 pm
Proudly Scarberian

Pizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond repute

I'd be tempted to look at childcare/ nannying but suspect that's only a cashcow closer to Toronto.

I've just undergone a slight change in career path- within the same company- because I can't get that pesky PEng stamp. I don't think it will have any major impact on my life but it's somewhat annoying.
Old Jun 1st 2015, 8:10 pm
Muskoka, Ontario

Tirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pizzawheel
I'd be tempted to look at childcare/ nannying but suspect that's only a cashcow closer to Toronto.

I've just undergone a slight change in career path- within the same company- because I can't get that pesky PEng stamp. I don't think it will have any major impact on my life but it's somewhat annoying.
Having children means I'm 10 times less likely to want to look after other people's children
Old Jun 1st 2015, 8:19 pm

Having children means I'm 10 times less likely to want to look after other people's children
What about attending nursing college to get the required provincial qualifications?

I just remembered that I once taught a course in political science at a nursing college. That was quite an experience.

Last edited by Oink; Jun 1st 2015 at 8:22 pm.
Old Jun 1st 2015, 9:02 pm
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

Dog Walking

Dog Grooming

Dog Sitting

Hot Dog Stand

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.