Work Ethic

Old Oct 11th 2008, 6:17 am
Nearly there! Tick, tock!

Erinbrooke is a name known to allErinbrooke is a name known to allErinbrooke is a name known to allErinbrooke is a name known to allErinbrooke is a name known to allErinbrooke is a name known to allErinbrooke is a name known to allErinbrooke is a name known to allErinbrooke is a name known to allErinbrooke is a name known to allErinbrooke is a name known to all
Smile Work Ethic

Can anyone advise me on how Canadians work ?

What I mean is, are they 'grafters' or 'steady away'? There is an expectation in the UK construction industry that you must stop 3 times a day for a cup of tea and your dinner !!!!!
Old Oct 11th 2008, 6:30 am
Just Joined

jonnytest is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Work Ethic

This is a good one... The statement you use is something that we talk about everyday.. WORK ETHIC does not exist in alot of Canadian Trades People or Construction workers. If I had to, I could get statements from at least every European I know in Vancouver that will agree that our opinion is that Canadian work ethics do not exist. It is difficult to even get someone that will show up for work. A big problem in trades and construction in Vancouver is to get people that can be relied on......Definetly not grafters...
Originally Posted by Erinbrooke

What I mean is, are they 'grafters' or 'steady away'? There is an expectation in the UK construction industry that you must stop 3 times a day for a cup of tea and your dinner !!!!!
Old Oct 11th 2008, 6:38 am
Now on Vancouver Island

Judy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond repute

I see from your profile that you're heading for Nova Scotia. I've never been to Nova Scotia, so I can't comment on it.

When I lived in Calgary (and that was until the middle of September 2008), I was astonished at how hard people in the construction industry worked. In the summer time, when it was light until late, I saw carpenters and the like doing renovations on the houses on either side of us till 9.00 p.m. and later.

I've only been on Vancouver Island for a short time, and haven't seen enough to be able to comment on the situation here.
x
Old Oct 11th 2008, 8:55 am
Éireann go Brách

Londonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond repute

In Vancouver it was very chilled. I miss that side of it a lot. In summer when work would dry up, I used to go down to Spanish Banks and fall asleep lying on the beach. I'd go back to work and nobody would ever notice i had been missing! Great stuff.
Old Oct 11th 2008, 12:14 pm
Nearly there! Tick, tock!

Erinbrooke is a name known to allErinbrooke is a name known to allErinbrooke is a name known to allErinbrooke is a name known to allErinbrooke is a name known to allErinbrooke is a name known to allErinbrooke is a name known to allErinbrooke is a name known to allErinbrooke is a name known to allErinbrooke is a name known to allErinbrooke is a name known to all
Smile Re: Work Ethic

I think the angle I am coming at here is that a good friend of ours in Truro(NS) has told me that you can be very successful in Canada if you are willing to work hard.

Well hard work is definately something I am not at all afraid of, but would find it difficult if the people around me were constantly horizontal !!

I suppose I will find out soon enough once we are there.

Definetly not grafters...
But if this is true, then an honest hard worker should stand out from the crowd and that can surely only work in my favour.
Old Oct 11th 2008, 1:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

deanjp32 is just really nicedeanjp32 is just really nicedeanjp32 is just really nicedeanjp32 is just really nicedeanjp32 is just really nicedeanjp32 is just really nicedeanjp32 is just really nicedeanjp32 is just really nice

It surely could!!!

I have heard the same from some Canadians we know however that is the same wherever you go in the world not just in Canada. Look at how many dont want to work period in the UK.

Truro is a great place and i am sure you will love it. We go into Truro on a regular basis.

Good luck
Old Oct 11th 2008, 1:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

montreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond repute

There is an expectation in the UK construction industry that you must stop 3 times a day for a cup of tea and your dinner !!!!!
sounds familiar to those who remember this film as I do

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/I%27m_All_Right_Jack
Old Oct 11th 2008, 2:03 pm
Account Closed

fledermaus is an unknown quantity at this point

I think it depends on how you get paid and how much you are paid. If you are on piece work, or hourly rates then you are might work harder to get more money, you are more likely to have to work long hours if you are paid a low hourly rate. Its not uncommon in this city for people to have two jobs. Also part time employees are often employed on a casual basis, ie no guaranteed work, so you work whatever you can when asked.

I work in a hospital and the work ethic there seems no different to hospitals I worked at in England. The only difference is that there is no afternoon coffee break, and lunch is 30 minutes. Which I prefer, as I would rather go home 30 mins earlier. For me the shift times are much earlier and later, starting at 7.30 to 3.30, 3.30 to 11.30, 11.30 to 7.30. In the UK it most shifts were 8 hours between 8 and 6 with much longer shifts to cover evenings, nights and weekends.

I think many people have to work harder here (Ontario) as there is little choice for them, employment law isnt as good as in the UK, so workers are put upon.
Old Oct 11th 2008, 2:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

montreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond repute

I also think the general level of job security plays a role.

Some in the government employ who need to only show up for work and stay awake do not need a work ethic. Also those who are unionized with seniority are in the sane boat unless the company is in danger of going belly up or requiring layoffs.
Old Oct 11th 2008, 2:22 pm
Account Closed

fledermaus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by montreal mike
I also think the general level of job security plays a role.

Some in the government employ who need to only show up for work and stay awake do not need a work ethic. Also those who are unionized with seniority are in the sane boat unless the company is in danger of going belly up or requiring layoffs.
Yes, that seems to fit with what I have seen. A govt job is the way to go if you can.

Its almost impossible to break into a unionized workplace though.
Old Oct 11th 2008, 2:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by fledermaus
Yes, that seems to fit with what I have seen. A govt job is the way to go if you can.
Many moons ago I was out of a job, thank GOD it only lasted a few weeks. I remember the attitude of this woman who was not easy to deal with, even condescending. Not exactly what one would expect when applying for so called benefits. I told this dame that if it weren't for people like me she would be out of a job too. I noticed a remarkable change in attitude.

Last edited by montreal mike; Oct 11th 2008 at 2:40 pm.
Old Oct 11th 2008, 2:56 pm
Just Joined

jonnytest is an unknown quantity at this point

Hard Work will definetely be recognised here. One thing about Canadians is that everybody gets an opportunity. I have been at meetings where everyones opinion was listened to from the top managers to the garbage man. Everybody speaks up. A hard worker will be recognised and rewarded.
I think the angle I am coming at here is that a good friend of ours in Truro(NS) has told me that you can be very successful in Canada if you are willing to work hard.

Well hard work is definately something I am not at all afraid of, but would find it difficult if the people around me were constantly horizontal !!

I suppose I will find out soon enough once we are there.

But if this is true, then an honest hard worker should stand out from the crowd and that can surely only work in my favour.
Old Oct 11th 2008, 3:15 pm
Tea Drinker

Danny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond repute

I work for a crown corporation (Provincial Gov't) and the work ethic is slow, slow, slow. If it aint broke, don't fix it and no one is held accountable.

I work Mon - Fri, 8am - 4pm, with a half hour lunch. My boss had a word with me because he thought I wasn't having an equal work life balance as I had come in two Saturday mornings on the row

It's tough man
Old Oct 11th 2008, 3:47 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

I think it depends on whereabouts in Canada you are. I've heard it said that in Toronto the talk over coffee on Mondays and Tuesdays is of how much extra work you did over the weekend. In BC it tends to be about how much mountain biking, skiing, hiking etc you did at the weekend.

In BC people work to live, definitely not live to work. People work 40 hours a week. It is very hard to get them to work more, even at premium rates.

I agree with the comments about government and unionized (often the same thing) jobs. It can be a gravy train once you are in, but you have to pay your dues (non monetary) to get in. Many people with get up and go would find the work environment in these type of jobs stifling, if easy.

You can prosper in private industry if you have a good work ethic.
Old Oct 11th 2008, 4:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by JonboyE
I think it depends on whereabouts in Canada you are. I've heard it said that in Toronto the talk over coffee on Mondays and Tuesdays is of how much extra work you did over the weekend.
I have heard that too:

That in BC people are more laid back, really no different than QC which supposedly doesn't have such a strong work ethic.

(Thankfully i have never had to live or work in the centre of Canada's universe so I really can't judge).

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.