Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

work on drilling rigs, onshore or offshore

work on drilling rigs, onshore or offshore

Old May 17th 2012, 8:14 pm
Forum Regular

clay is a name known to allclay is a name known to allclay is a name known to allclay is a name known to allclay is a name known to allclay is a name known to allclay is a name known to allclay is a name known to allclay is a name known to allclay is a name known to allclay is a name known to all
Default Re: work on drilling rigs, onshore or offshore

Originally Posted by Jingsamichty
I have managed drilling programs... I know what it's like to work on these rigs, and I can assure you, it is dangerous. Especially if you are green, or have a green hand on the rig.

How do you "know" it's not dangerous?
Well.. if you read my earlier post.... I have worked offshore for 10 years... think that gives me a decent idea about how dangerous it is.... depends how you " manage " your " programmes " apart from Piper Alpha, how many deaths have their been in the North sea over the last 20 years ?? not too many mate.... Obviously these " green " hands your on about have to be closely supervised until they get used to the platform, but apart from that in the UK anyway its a safe job.... but it will be a lot more dangerous than sat on your arse in an office ( not refering to you there Jings )
Old May 17th 2012, 8:39 pm
Lowering the tone

Jingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by clay
Well.. if you read my earlier post.... I have worked offshore for 10 years... think that gives me a decent idea about how dangerous it is.... depends how you " manage " your " programmes " apart from Piper Alpha, how many deaths have their been in the North sea over the last 20 years ?? not too many mate.... Obviously these " green " hands your on about have to be closely supervised until they get used to the platform, but apart from that in the UK anyway its a safe job.... but it will be a lot more dangerous than sat on your arse in an office ( not refering to you there Jings )
You're talking about the North Sea. I'm talking about Alberta - as is the OP - which has no big offshore production platforms, only mobile land rigs. No comfy hi-tech drillers chair in a big multi-million dollar drilling module. It's mostly mobile truck mounted rigs with a 4-5 man crew, under big pressure to rig-up, drill and rig-down in a couple of days.

The drilling industry in Alberta is mostly seasonal, done in the winter when the ground is frozen. So you can add working outside in -30/-40C to that mix, with seasonal crews who were deckhands on Newfoundland fishing boats the week before...
Old May 18th 2012, 4:06 am
BE Forum Addict

nldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by simon dearn
Clay- do you work on the North Sea? U know I need to do my BOSIET and Offshore med, and ideally my MIST. I've contacted many agencies in Aberdeen and they are saying they can't get the entry level workers out there that are already on their books.

Nldfc- from what I have found, there is a big shortage for greenhand workers in CA?
I'm not too sure where you are getting that information from to be honest mate - I could hire 10 greenhands tomorrow without even advertising , never mind having to go out for lmo
Old May 18th 2012, 8:39 am
Just Joined

simon dearn is an unknown quantity at this point

Nldfc - I seriously don't know what to do now. Do you know if its possible for a foreigner to get sponsered at greenhand level? I can only go off what I find online and I know I can't take it as fact until I actually speak to people in the know.

I've just got off the phone to an agency in Aberdeen called Atlantic Resourcing, they have over 1600 people registered who are trying to get their first trip to the North Sea, also an agency called Intersevices, they have the same problem.

It's difficult from the UK to literally call up company's in Canada, I've emailed about 20 and not even had a reply.

Pretty stuck to be fair having now spoke to some people on here.
Old May 18th 2012, 10:47 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

It's difficult from the UK to literally call up company's in Canada, I've emailed about 20 and not even had a reply.
Why is it difficult? It really is the only way to do it - if you've read the Job Hunting section of the Wiki then you'll understand that emails just won't get replied to!
Old May 18th 2012, 12:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

nldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond repute

Nldfc - I seriously don't know what to do now. Do you know if its possible for a foreigner to get sponsered at greenhand level? I can only go off what I find online and I know I can't take it as fact until I actually speak to people in the know.

I've just got off the phone to an agency in Aberdeen called Atlantic Resourcing, they have over 1600 people registered who are trying to get their first trip to the North Sea, also an agency called Intersevices, they have the same problem.

Pretty stuck to be fair having now spoke to some people on here.
I am not trying to burst your bubble here but rather than save you some cash - no-one will sponsor you at greenhand level , its an extra step that companies will go to in order to get suitably qualified people in at higher levels eg drillers and above or at least supervisor with the service companies, you really need to look at other avenues to get in .
Are you under 30 ?

In the uk maybe looking at the service companies will stand you a better chance of getting your foot in the door .
Old May 18th 2012, 1:03 pm
Just Joined

No you're not bursting my bubble at all, I need to get advice from people like you and its really appreciated.
Yes, I'm 29 at the end of this month.
I suppose I could start looking at how my previous heating & ventilation experience may help. I did it for 6 years, installing warm air heaters, flu systems and pipework. Unfortunately I got made redundant before I passed my corgi and acs.

I will start looking towards the service side, it won't hurt.

Thanks again mate.

@christmasoompa, I don't have a landline phone, and I don't fancy calling Canada off my mobile phone.
Old May 18th 2012, 1:08 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

@christmasoompa, I don't have a landline phone, and I don't fancy calling Canada off my mobile phone.
Surely you have a friend or relative with a phone you can use though? Failing that, calling card and a payphone!

As you've discovered, sending emails is next to useless, you might as well try a carrier pigeon. Re-read the Job Hunting section of the Wiki to understand how vital phoning or seeing people in person is in Canada.

When are you 30 btw? You may be able to get an IEC visa when the program opens in Jan 2013, but if you're 31 during 2013 then you won't be eligible to get a 2nd year under the program, whereas if you've only just turned 29 then you could get the full 2 years, which may make you much more employable.

Old May 18th 2012, 3:08 pm
Forum Regular

clay is a name known to allclay is a name known to allclay is a name known to allclay is a name known to allclay is a name known to allclay is a name known to allclay is a name known to allclay is a name known to allclay is a name known to allclay is a name known to allclay is a name known to all

mate.. I offered to advice you over the phone and you haven't even made contact. How do you expect to get on in this enviroment if you are turning this sort of advice away ?? Good luck but you will struggle with your present mindset.. get off your arse and do something about it.
Old May 18th 2012, 3:29 pm
Just Joined

Clay, where have you made that offer?
Old May 18th 2012, 4:01 pm
Forum Regular

I pm'd you... but you now replied back asking when ?? you should be asking " can I call you for advice " I would do that anyway mate... sorry if you didn't get the message, but you have to get your arse in gear mate or you will get nowhere fast in this game...
Old May 18th 2012, 4:04 pm
Just Joined

Ok, I haven't received it. Can you resend it and ill call you?
Old May 18th 2012, 4:20 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by clay
My neighbour works up in Alberta and earns pretty good money doing what he does.

Where do you work, Clay?
Old May 18th 2012, 6:43 pm
Banned

Beaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to behold

Ok, I haven't received it. Can you resend it and ill call you?
have you thought of designing a website to advertise your services on offer, then post the link to the relevant companies out there
Old May 18th 2012, 8:04 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by el_richo
My neighbour works up in Alberta and earns pretty good money doing what he does.

Where do you work, Clay?
I work in a steelworks now mate, worked offshore before that...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.