Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

work on drilling rigs, onshore or offshore

work on drilling rigs, onshore or offshore

Old May 16th 2012, 11:53 am
Just Joined

simon dearn is an unknown quantity at this point
Default work on drilling rigs, onshore or offshore

Hi , I'm seriously considering coming to Alberta to try and get on an oil/ gas rig. Does anyone have any advice for this specific industry? I will be a greenhand but I will have a H2S alive cert and First Aid cert., is this all that is required?

Thanks!
Old May 16th 2012, 11:54 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: work on drilling rigs, onshore or offshore

Originally Posted by simon dearn
I will be a greenhand but I will have a H2S alive cert and First Aid cert., is this all that is required?
Small matter of a job offer and LMO as well of course!

But hopefully those in the industry will be along shortly to tell you if you'd need anything else qualification/experience wise.
Old May 16th 2012, 12:39 pm
Just Joined

What's an LMO?

I should be coming to Calgary in October, to get a feel for the place, and to see what work I could be elegable for. I've got a City & Guild qualification in Heating and Ventilation, I'm hoping that will be what potential employers will like. I know I'll start at the bottom, and I know how harsh the environment is, but I am fully committed to getting on a rig, hopefully in Canada.

I do need to be confident though. As would be giving up a decent job, and life here. I'm hoping some rig worker can reply to me.

Cheers!
Old May 16th 2012, 12:44 pm
Forum Regular

clay is a name known to allclay is a name known to allclay is a name known to allclay is a name known to allclay is a name known to allclay is a name known to allclay is a name known to allclay is a name known to allclay is a name known to allclay is a name known to allclay is a name known to all

Not sure about canada.. but in the Uk you would work 2 on 2 off.. you need to be experienced and fully qualified in the proffesion you would be seeking work in... also vwery importantly its who you know not what you know.. wages are ok, you clear after tax approx £2,000 for the fortnite, thats for a scaffolder etc.... you would to also hold all offshore survival quals and offshore medical....
Old May 16th 2012, 12:59 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

What's an LMO?

I should be coming to Calgary in October, to get a feel for the place, and to see what work I could be elegable for. I've got a City & Guild qualification in Heating and Ventilation, I'm hoping that will be what potential employers will like. I know I'll start at the bottom, and I know how harsh the environment is, but I am fully committed to getting on a rig, hopefully in Canada.

I do need to be confident though. As would be giving up a decent job, and life here. I'm hoping some rig worker can reply to me.

Cheers!
Nobody here (other than expats) will have a clue what a city and guilds is. If you intend to work in a job that requires certification, you would need to get Canadian qualifications. Look up Red Seal and Industry Training Authorities, there are links to these on the Red Seal website. You may have to challenge an exam if you qualify or have to take additional training.

It is not easy and be prepared for a few knock backs, but perseverance often pays off in the end.
Old May 16th 2012, 2:00 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

Poster Mandymoochops husband runs drilling rigs in AB. I'm sure she'll be along with some advice.

What immigration status do you have/intend to gain in Canada?

And you do know that Alberta doesn't have much in the way of offshore drilling? Well, when I say much in the way, I mean it's umpteen thousand miles from the nearest ocean, so more accurately, has no offshore drilling.
Old May 16th 2012, 3:10 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

What's an LMO?
The piece of paper that gets you a Temporary Work Permit. It's something that your employer has to apply for, and to get it they have to prove that they have advertised the job across Canada and been unable to find a Canadian able to do the job.

More info in the Wiki if you fancy some light reading.

Old May 17th 2012, 6:42 am
Just Joined

I'm calling the Canadian Embassy in London today to find out what the best approach would be. The reason I talk about Alberta is because most of the research I've done tends to mention Alberta as a good place to find drilling work.

My intention is to stay permanent, but if I could only stay for long enough to get up to a derrikman position, that would be fine with me, as it won't be so tough to find work elsewhere.

This 'baby boom' that people keep talking about in Canada is why I'm really keen to get myself over. I can see a good future for me over Canada.

Ok, thanks to you both.
Old May 17th 2012, 6:49 am
Just Joined

On my mobile, just seen the other couple of comments.

I am prepared for knock backs, I know its going to take time and a lot of money. But its something I want so I will persevere with it. I am in the early stages and need to do more research, but I will get myself a drilling job in Canada. I belive I have what it takes to make it.
I'll post an update when I've spoken to the Embassy.
Old May 17th 2012, 9:29 am
SUPER MODERATOR

I'll post an update when I've spoken to the Embassy.
Don't bother, there is no 'information line' or anybody that you can speak to at the CHC I'm afraid.

If you want visa advice, then either post in the immigration section here, where many of our pros will help you for free, or contact an immigration consultant.

Old May 17th 2012, 9:55 am
Just Joined

Ha, I've just found that out!

One question I have is;

If I came over on a holiday visa, could I do a 3 week private course at 'maritime drilling school' in Nova Scotia, then try to get a company to hire me?

A lot of the major drilling company' recruit greenhands from this school. Do you think this could be possible?
I read on the cic website that study less than 6 months doesn't require a student visa.
Old May 17th 2012, 10:26 am
SUPER MODERATOR

If I came over on a holiday visa, could I do a 3 week private course at 'maritime drilling school' in Nova Scotia, then try to get a company to hire me?
Yes, you could.

Old May 17th 2012, 10:27 am
Forum Regular

clay is a name known to allclay is a name known to allclay is a name known to allclay is a name known to allclay is a name known to allclay is a name known to allclay is a name known to allclay is a name known to allclay is a name known to allclay is a name known to allclay is a name known to all

you could come on holiday and do the course, nothing stopping that I suppose...
Old May 17th 2012, 10:47 am
Just Joined

Then I think that is the best way to do it without it pickling my brain

Can anyone recommend the best/cheapest airline to Canada, and are there regular connection flights to Nova Scotia from Halifax or Toronto? (i presume they are the closest international airports).

Old May 17th 2012, 10:49 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Can anyone recommend the best/cheapest airline to Canada, and are there regular connection flights to Nova Scotia from Halifax or Toronto?
Erm............Halifax is in* Nova Scotia!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.