Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Wish to Emigrate to Canada? Heed this Warning!

Wish to Emigrate to Canada? Heed this Warning!

Old May 6th 2004, 5:58 am
Forum Regular

Spongebob has a spectacular aura aboutSpongebob has a spectacular aura aboutSpongebob has a spectacular aura about

Originally posted by dingbat
I am - next year - yippee!

Good for you. Hopefully you will not find the same incompetent, poorly educated, travelled, politically ignorant boring people that you found in BC. Im sure your neighbours will sadly miss you.
Old May 6th 2004, 6:57 am
Just Joined

tondra is an unknown quantity at this point

So, is my response coming from ignorance and idealism? I don't plan to be an employee, but an entrepreneur. I hope to be very diversified in my offerings--massage therapy, steam sauna, bed & breakfast and coffee house on the tourist route which runs to Annapolis Royal (about 10 minutes). The property I am considering is on the tourist route, viewing the Annapolis Basin with 4.5 acres and 5 bedrooms with two kitchens (asking price of $92,000 CAD). I plan to live on the premises. Do those of you who live in the area feel this is a potential going concern or a fairy tale?

Tondra
Old May 6th 2004, 8:23 am
BE Enthusiast

CDNReturner has a reputation beyond reputeCDNReturner has a reputation beyond reputeCDNReturner has a reputation beyond reputeCDNReturner has a reputation beyond reputeCDNReturner has a reputation beyond reputeCDNReturner has a reputation beyond reputeCDNReturner has a reputation beyond reputeCDNReturner has a reputation beyond reputeCDNReturner has a reputation beyond reputeCDNReturner has a reputation beyond reputeCDNReturner has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by dingbat
6/10 eh? I wonder what the return-home statistics are for Canadians that move to the UK?

Cheers, Iain
I know several Canadians who moved to the UK and stayed. Without exception they agree that Canada is behind the times and lives off the great wilderness reputation. Great place to holiday, but I would never move a family here unless you are leaving abject poverty and rented accommodation in the UK. [/QUOTE]

As one of those Canadians in the UK, currently in the process of going back I guess I need to make a few comments here. However, I have been here for 24 years and I do believe I did much better over here than I would have done if I had stayed in Canada.

I also believe that Canada is behind the times. For one I want to start a business in Canada. On the internet over here I can find all sorts of suppliers to get my business going. So far my searches for Canadian internet sites have been fruitless. Look at cookers, fridges, kettles. The british ones are all so cute and tidy. In Canada/US they are all such ugly monstrosities. And like Alexandra I abhor the drug culture scene in Canada and to be honest it was one of the main reasons I left 24 years ago. In Canada there was no way of avoiding it. In Uk it's rare that I have ever come across it.

In selling my mothers house in Scarborough last year I too experienced a number of incompetencies. The house was up for sale when a leak was found in the basement. The insurance company refused my claim.....however, they wouldn't tell me this until the person dealing with it came back from holiday. Service I do think is bad. In the shops look at the way clothes are laid out. They put them on the hangers and everything is creased and looks terrible.

However, I'm going back for family reasons. I realize after all this time on my own over here, I need my family and I think they need me too. I love the UK but at the end of the day I need to be where my family is.
Old May 6th 2004, 1:39 pm
mickj

The cookers (stove ), fridges, and kettles that we have, are quite nice, and i can personally say that its a lot better compared to what came built-in, in my flat in London.

You can now get cooktops built into your kitchen, or you can go for the traditional slide-in types, i guess it depends on what you are looking for, and how much you want to spend.

Am a big MAYTAG fan, and that goes for their washers and dryers with the digital LCD screens, the prices are reasonable too.
Attached Thumbnails Wish to Emigrate to Canada? Heed this Warning!-jp389bdbb.jpg  

Old May 6th 2004, 4:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

Gezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of light

Originally posted by stepnek
I'm not dismissing them Alexandra but those kind of stories are anecdotal, personal and mirror the experiences of many people not just those that choose to live in Canada. People get bad service all of the time in the UK just as much as they get good service. There are serious issues to consider for those moving to Canada but I doubt the quality of plumbing, lawyers of even Dental hygenists are top of the list. Do you truly believe that you won't ever encounter incompetence again when you return to the UK? That's not to say that I don't completely respect the decisions of Gezza and yourself to return to the UK because that's where you want to be

Here's another anecdotal story. I got a call from my daughter the other day when I was at work. The police had knocked on the door looking for someone who had given our address as theirs apparently. I had to leave work to go and sort it out. When I got home and spoke to them they realised they should have been in the next road on the estate. Goodness knows what would have happened if it had been a police raid! Totally incompetent but that doesn't make the UK a bad place.
You are right it is worrying when even Police have the above problem. Perhaps someone will write them all down and publish them. Still you can not beat having to explain at a Car Insurance
Customer Service desk the difference between Third Party and Fully Comp. Or educating the Tyre Fitter blowing your wheels up into oblivion that different wheels and vehicles in the world take different pressure levels and that PSI rate the car needs is on the drivers door sticker in every car in Canada.
Old May 6th 2004, 4:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

Gezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of light

Originally posted by CDNReturner
I know several Canadians who moved to the UK and stayed. Without exception they agree that Canada is behind the times and lives off the great wilderness reputation. Great place to holiday, but I would never move a family here unless you are leaving abject poverty and rented accommodation in the UK.
As one of those Canadians in the UK, currently in the process of going back I guess I need to make a few comments here. However, I have been here for 24 years and I do believe I did much better over here than I would have done if I had stayed in Canada.

I also believe that Canada is behind the times. For one I want to start a business in Canada. On the internet over here I can find all sorts of suppliers to get my business going. So far my searches for Canadian internet sites have been fruitless. Look at cookers, fridges, kettles. The british ones are all so cute and tidy. In Canada/US they are all such ugly monstrosities. And like Alexandra I abhor the drug culture scene in Canada and to be honest it was one of the main reasons I left 24 years ago. In Canada there was no way of avoiding it. In Uk it's rare that I have ever come across it.

In selling my mothers house in Scarborough last year I too experienced a number of incompetencies. The house was up for sale when a leak was found in the basement. The insurance company refused my claim.....however, they wouldn't tell me this until the person dealing with it came back from holiday. Service I do think is bad. In the shops look at the way clothes are laid out. They put them on the hangers and everything is creased and looks terrible.

However, I'm going back for family reasons. I realize after all this time on my own over here, I need my family and I think they need me too. I love the UK but at the end of the day I need to be where my family is. [/QUOTE]
Old May 6th 2004, 4:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally posted by CDNReturner
I know several Canadians who moved to the UK and stayed. Without exception they agree that Canada is behind the times and lives off the great wilderness reputation. Great place to holiday, but I would never move a family here unless you are leaving abject poverty and rented accommodation in the UK.

However, I'm going back for family reasons. I realize after all this time on my own over here, I need my family and I think they need me too. I love the UK but at the end of the day I need to be where my family is. [/QUOTE]

Canada is about 3-5 years behind in development in areas involving any office processes, e.g. accountancy Telphone systems. And the fault is really round the managemnet more than the people. There is very little on the job training I found. because managers are allowed to be either absent or not trained in the particular field. So if you spend 4 years there and then return to U.K. you may find your skills hard..er to sell.

My other half took great comfort from the fact that GAP shop was
present in Canada for lack of Marks and Spencer/ But we discovered that the same items purchased in U.K. and Canada
wre different quality. Canadian Gap clothes often had poor stiching quality cotton was worse grade and colours faded faster.

Do not get me wrong Canadians were all smashing people and I miss a few guys from my office quite a bit. But things like
image and qulaity of anything simply do not exist.

Making an extra effort in anything you do simply to save the firm money or excell in your job will only make you look stupid and foreign.

Most of the English folks are not really in their elements like in England at all. I think it may be to do with being next to a country with a very powerfull image and selfesteem (USA) that makes Cnadians kind of complaisant and unambitious, perhaps.
Old May 6th 2004, 4:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally posted by Alexandra
Another anecdote: as I am leaving my job now (obviously!), the job has been advertised. Guzzillions of resumes, some of them very promising. Who gets the job? Incompetent, untrained internal candidate. In the first team meeting he asked whether he'll get my desk. Hearing the negative answer, he exclaimed: 'but I don't want to stay at my desk next to Dave, he farts all the time!' Hysterical. And this is a on a good day. For the record: I work for respected, 'leader of the industry' type of thing company. I can't even imagine this happening in any of the companies I worked for in London.

Spot on!
Old May 6th 2004, 4:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally posted by tondra
So, is my response coming from ignorance and idealism? I don't plan to be an employee, but an entrepreneur. I hope to be very diversified in my offerings--massage therapy, steam sauna, bed & breakfast and coffee house on the tourist route which runs to Annapolis Royal (about 10 minutes). The property I am considering is on the tourist route, viewing the Annapolis Basin with 4.5 acres and 5 bedrooms with two kitchens (asking price of $92,000 CAD). I plan to live on the premises. Do those of you who live in the area feel this is a potential going concern or a fairy tale?

Tondra
I recon you will do well. Here is my effort to redress my opinion balance:
Candian B&B are great! Far better than the English!

I am talking about Calgary. I stayed in a place called Tuxedo House. What a treat it was! Very plush and not that dear. I got a discount!
Old May 6th 2004, 6:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

Corky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to behold

Tondra
That sounds like a good deal on the property. Where abouts is it? You would do well with a BandB in Annapolis Royal, lots of tourists there.

Mick....would you like to buy my Maytag Stove and Dishwasher???I find there products highly overrated. I bought them thinking of good quality but they are no different from others. Also just wondered. does anyone shop at The Brick? I see lots of ads for it on telly (we have a satalite so pick up alot of other provinces stations) The prices always seem unbelievable?
Old May 6th 2004, 6:50 pm
mickj

Unfortunately Corky, we already have what we need, considering when we moved into our newly built house at the end of last year, we had to buy all the kitchen appliances.

Maytag may look like the others, but i just find them a lot more better than the rest, and i like the look of them. Like i said, our stove is cooktop one, built into the island in the middle of the kitchen.

Oh...the brick ( always having sales that last a day or two ), one just opened today actually in Mississauga here where i work, i see they are doing that thing where you buy a three piece leather suite and get a hitachi 46" TV.

We bought our sleigh bed from there, i find them cheaper sometimes to LEON. Can't stand BAD BOY, irritating adverts too !
Attached Thumbnails Wish to Emigrate to Canada? Heed this Warning!-19.jpg  

Old May 6th 2004, 7:22 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Corky
Also just wondered. does anyone shop at The Brick? I see lots of ads for it on telly (we have a satalite so pick up alot of other provinces stations) The prices always seem unbelievable?
Out here the brick is nearly always more expensive than Leons. Also, when you look at their monthly payment plans (if you dont have the ready cash) they are really expensive compared to Leons "pay nothing" deals...which are not strictly pay nothing anyway, cos there is a set up fee to do it. Been here a while now, and still havent figured out "AOC"

Quality sucks at either as far as furniture goes, give me a nice Ikea couch anythime rather than the overstuffed domestic look.

Iain
Old May 6th 2004, 7:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

Iain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond repute
Arrow

Thankfully, there are a couple of big Ikeas in Vancouver so that sort of thing need not be left behind with the move over. I presume the rest of the country is also provided for in a similar fashion.

Cheers, Iain
Old May 6th 2004, 8:03 pm
Just going for Holidays

liftman is a jewel in the roughliftman is a jewel in the roughliftman is a jewel in the roughliftman is a jewel in the rough

Ikea will deliver anywhere (for a fee)

Try their site

www.ikea.com

and select Canada
Old May 6th 2004, 8:16 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by liftman
Ikea will deliver anywhere (for a fee)

Try their site

www.ikea.com

and select Canada
Unfortunately the fees can be prohibitive. I enquired about getting a couch from TO to Belleville, was told $400 so I bought one of the less ugly ones from Leons rogues gallery of ugly furniture instead. I'm just too cheap I guess(my wife will vouch for that!)

Iain

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.