Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Wireless (Cellular) Carrier in Canada

Wireless (Cellular) Carrier in Canada

Old Jul 15th 2008, 3:29 am
Corn Nibbler

cornmatthew has much to be proud ofcornmatthew has much to be proud ofcornmatthew has much to be proud ofcornmatthew has much to be proud ofcornmatthew has much to be proud ofcornmatthew has much to be proud ofcornmatthew has much to be proud ofcornmatthew has much to be proud ofcornmatthew has much to be proud ofcornmatthew has much to be proud ofcornmatthew has much to be proud of
Default Re: Wireless (Cellular) Carrier in Canada

Originally Posted by clynnog
My plan with Rogers includes 1000 CDN long distance minutes per month for $5 and then I get a $5 credit on my bill. I have found with cell phones etc, that after a few months of the standard bill you can leverage yourself and get more minutes, better data plans, more texts etc, for little to no extra cost. If you threaten to cancel the service, they offer more or if you bundle it with a TV and internet package run by the same company you can swing discounts.
Did that. I had to pay $5 for the long distance, but then I get unlimited incoming and early evenings credited back. So I won't complain for a while.

It's curious, though. In the UK, it seems you get the best deal by hopping provider every year or so. Here in Canada, it's better to stick with one company and gripe every now and then.
Old Jul 15th 2008, 12:10 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JSHalifax
You could check out the Virgin Mobile rates they ahve a website . we now have Virgin Phones sold in Halifax and they are always introducing new and less expensive plans, for example there are no hidden charges for voice mail etc. We have one we use as a " Loaner " when guests come on fact finding missions, You can but a top up card at Walmart or Superstore if you go the pay as you go route.

here is a piece of the press release from Virgin Mobile
“Over 650,000 Atlantic Canadians are locked into long-term contracts, are paying hidden fees or extra charges,” said Richard Branson, Virgin Group Chairman and Virgin Mobile Canada founder. “Customers are losing out and they’re paying more than they need to for their mobile phone services. Virgin Mobile will continue the success it’s already experiencing across Canada into the Atlantic provinces by bringing some much-needed simplicity to the market,” added Branson.

“The percentage of Atlantic Canadians with mobile phones is the lowest in the country at just over 30 per cent, and there’s the least amount of competition in the east coast compared to the rest of Canada, which makes this a perfect market for Virgin Mobile,” said Andrew Black, President and CEO of Virgin Mobile Canada.

Theres a Virgin Mobile booth in the Halifax Shopping Centre, I found the coverage really good throughout Nova Scotia.

JS
My OH has a Virgin phone. One snag is that it doesn't work in the US. We've tried asking Virgin if it can be made to work but they're as responsive to questions as the other phone companies.
Old Jul 15th 2008, 12:44 pm
Forum Regular

JSHalifax has a brilliant futureJSHalifax has a brilliant futureJSHalifax has a brilliant futureJSHalifax has a brilliant futureJSHalifax has a brilliant futureJSHalifax has a brilliant future

Thats always a problem, we don't make any epic journeys to the states from Nova Scotia ....furthest weve been is New Brunswick and Prince Edward Island ah well we are obviously working too hard

JS
Old Jul 18th 2008, 7:18 am
Forum Regular

garvard will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by JSHalifax
Thats always a problem, we don't make any epic journeys to the states from Nova Scotia ....furthest weve been is New Brunswick and Prince Edward Island ah well we are obviously working too hard

JS
Recently I found the following offer at Ebay.
Does anybody used this plan?
Old Jul 18th 2008, 12:40 pm
Forum Regular

JSHalifax has a brilliant futureJSHalifax has a brilliant futureJSHalifax has a brilliant futureJSHalifax has a brilliant futureJSHalifax has a brilliant futureJSHalifax has a brilliant future

We have a contact at Rogers Corporate office in Dartmouth that we have been getting excellent service from . they have agreed use UK credit history for our clients on arrival in Canada and want to switch your UK phone or buy a contract, they are also the only provider here that can unlock your phone..I would check with Mrk Long at Rogers before buying any plans on EBAY...
JS
Old Jul 18th 2008, 1:38 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
My OH has a Virgin phone. One snag is that it doesn't work in the US. We've tried asking Virgin if it can be made to work but they're as responsive to questions as the other phone companies.

We have Virgin cells as well. We took a trip to Santa Monica recently and the both worked fine there. We had no idea whether they would or wouldn't work and were surprised when they did. They are both contract, if that makes a difference.
Old Jul 18th 2008, 2:07 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
They are both contract, if that makes a difference.
I suspect that is the difference, the one that doesn't work is a paygo. Still, since it doesn't work it's proving to be economical, worth the $250 it cost to break the contract on her Bell phone.
Old Jul 18th 2008, 10:12 pm
Corn Nibbler

cornmatthew has much to be proud ofcornmatthew has much to be proud ofcornmatthew has much to be proud ofcornmatthew has much to be proud ofcornmatthew has much to be proud ofcornmatthew has much to be proud ofcornmatthew has much to be proud ofcornmatthew has much to be proud ofcornmatthew has much to be proud ofcornmatthew has much to be proud ofcornmatthew has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by garvard
Recently I found the following offer at Ebay.
Does anybody used this plan?
I'll say it's *probably* a scam. I'd say definitely, but the seller has positive feedback from selling the same item a few times over.

There are sites where people *do* sell particularly good plans that are no longer available, but if this was for real there would be more detail and he'd be asking for more than $250. Hmmm.

At a guess, he'll tell you to sign a three-year contract on a Rogers plan and get three months of unlimited local calling. When your three months are about to run out, call back to re-sign the contract, getting another three months of local calling. That actually worked for a while, but I think Rogers just stopped allowing it a month or two ago. And it never required sending $250 to some guy on eBay.
Old Jul 19th 2008, 12:01 am
No time for muppets!

Mikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by bodgerx
Anyone splashed out on the iPhone yet?
The OH just got it on upgrade, I want it.
Old Jul 19th 2008, 1:50 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Biiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond repute

I don't get it - you pay 250 CAD and then it says the normal 25/35 CAD plus system access fee, 911 fee, etc and tax every month to Rogers? What are you paying the eBay guy for - an old SIM?
Old Jul 19th 2008, 2:02 am
No time for muppets!

Mikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Biiiiink
I don't get it - you pay 250 CAD and then it says the normal 25/35 CAD plus system access fee, 911 fee, etc and tax every month to Rogers? What are you paying the eBay guy for - an old SIM?
Que?
Old Jul 19th 2008, 10:45 am
BE Forum Addict

bodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by drwoodsy
Guilty
Nice. Is it worth it?