Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Winter Running

Winter Running

Old Sep 16th 2013, 1:34 pm
:)

pthom has a reputation beyond reputepthom has a reputation beyond reputepthom has a reputation beyond reputepthom has a reputation beyond reputepthom has a reputation beyond reputepthom has a reputation beyond reputepthom has a reputation beyond reputepthom has a reputation beyond reputepthom has a reputation beyond reputepthom has a reputation beyond reputepthom has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Winter Running

Originally Posted by MrsDV
I think you'd be surprised just how doable it is.

I ran through 2 winters in Calgary: Asics on my feet, full length running pants and usually 2 layers on top, gloves and a hat or balaclava on the really cold days.

Hard work on the legs after fresh snowfall and had to watch my footing if there was compacted / icy snow or there had been a thaw and freeze. I found I could comfortably run at -22/-23 isn, beyond that I'd move indoors.

There are a few indoor tracks around which are slightly less boring than the treadmill.

I think if you're still alive, it impossible for your lungs to freeze Frost nip is only a problem if you have exposed skin.

I found the winters there easier to run in than back in the UK - you just get used to it and know what you have to deal with.
What she said . It's not exactly comfortable when it's that cold and I certainly wouldn't stay out for too long, but with the correct clothing it's possible.
Old Sep 16th 2013, 3:14 pm
Part Time Poster

MikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond repute

I ran through 2 winters in Calgary: Asics on my feet, full length running pants and usually 2 layers on top, gloves and a hat or balaclava on the really cold days.

Hard work on the legs after fresh snowfall and had to watch my footing if there was compacted / icy snow or there had been a thaw and freeze. I found I could comfortably run at -22/-23 isn, beyond that I'd move indoors.

There are a few indoor tracks around which are slightly less boring than the treadmill.

I think if you're still alive, it impossible for your lungs to freeze Frost nip is only a problem if you have exposed skin.

I found the winters there easier to run in than back in the UK - you just get used to it and know what you have to deal with.
It not the running that’s the risk
It’s the stopping, the cold hitting the lungs on a sharp intake of breath can literally take your breath away and it hurts
A slip on the ice will slow you down; you need a plan B to ensure you don’t get too cold if you have to walk
Right footwear will help; right socks for proper insulation/moisture resistance will help even better
What you need to avoid is sweat….
Old Sep 16th 2013, 4:44 pm
Happy

Howefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond repute

I don't risk the ice since I broke my ankles and don't wish to revisit that pain again ever (I didn't break them running btw)

We have an indoor track that's close, that's where I head to once the ice and snow hits or the minus 20's
I will happily walk in minus 20 but no running, no.
Old Sep 16th 2013, 5:49 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Different but similar. If the roads are clear of snow and ice I cycle. The biggest problems are leg muscles not wanting to work and the wind chill.

A hat with ear covers is essential - one that fits under a helmet.

But if you wear specs, a ski mask with holes doesn't work and a balaclava or scarf leaves too much exposed, considering you generate your own wind chill as well, or if you cover everything up, you get steamed up glasses.

15 minutes at minus 20 is my limit.
Old Sep 16th 2013, 6:06 pm
Banned

Beaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to behold

did a course with the running room last winter - for 10k
started in october i think
went thru nov and dec - was a sunday morning of -20oC with fresh snowfall (at glenmore res) think we did 10-12k as was probably my favourite run as a lot of folk bailed out
i wore the 'strap on' studs for icy days ; hill training in pump hill

the final 10k race was in december wearing a santa suit which was too hot
Old Sep 16th 2013, 6:33 pm
Pondering a career change

Mikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond repute

I had gloves on but must not have been thick enough as I got frost nip
Old Sep 16th 2013, 9:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

AllyS is a glorious beacon of lightAllyS is a glorious beacon of lightAllyS is a glorious beacon of lightAllyS is a glorious beacon of lightAllyS is a glorious beacon of lightAllyS is a glorious beacon of lightAllyS is a glorious beacon of lightAllyS is a glorious beacon of lightAllyS is a glorious beacon of lightAllyS is a glorious beacon of lightAllyS is a glorious beacon of light

Yes it is - I ran all last winter and I'll be doing the same this winter and so on.... just need to layer up, carry a head torch and make sure people know where you're going etc., oh and another thing - wear 'cleats' (those traction things with spikes) when its icy.

I actually really enjoy winter running - no mosquitos, the winter wonderland views during the day, feel great during and after, and its easier on the legs too.... I've had achilles tendinitis lately due to too much running on hard surfaces. On a slight tangent - would love to get into nordic skiing....

The hardest thing is running at night (hence the headtorch) and staying motivated. Have to be careful out there, and don't run alone as there are predators out there and if you fall and injure yourself you could get into trouble!

Last edited by AllyS; Sep 16th 2013 at 10:30 pm.
Old Sep 17th 2013, 8:48 am
BE Enthusiast

dwight-van-man has much to be proud ofdwight-van-man has much to be proud ofdwight-van-man has much to be proud ofdwight-van-man has much to be proud ofdwight-van-man has much to be proud ofdwight-van-man has much to be proud ofdwight-van-man has much to be proud ofdwight-van-man has much to be proud ofdwight-van-man has much to be proud ofdwight-van-man has much to be proud ofdwight-van-man has much to be proud of

Great advice all, many thanks! Pretty much what I was hoping to hear too. I'm used to running in pretty crappy conditions, but I didn't want to be consigned to the gym all winter. From the sounds of it though, I'm not sure my running partner (the dog) will be so keen!
Old Sep 17th 2013, 9:58 am
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Outdoor running is recommended...

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/men/activ...-outdoors.html
Old Sep 17th 2013, 10:10 am
BE Enthusiast

dwight-van-man has much to be proud ofdwight-van-man has much to be proud ofdwight-van-man has much to be proud ofdwight-van-man has much to be proud ofdwight-van-man has much to be proud ofdwight-van-man has much to be proud ofdwight-van-man has much to be proud ofdwight-van-man has much to be proud ofdwight-van-man has much to be proud ofdwight-van-man has much to be proud ofdwight-van-man has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Shard
I've always said running is as good for the soul as it is for health and you need to be outside to get full benefit. Plus (in Edinburgh at least) its one of only two ways to get strangers to acknowledge each other! The other being walking the dog...
Old Sep 17th 2013, 11:41 am
RETIRED Realtor

MB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dwight-van-man
Is running outside over winter do-able? I've run in minus 5 and snow but obviously Scottish winter is fairly lightweight compared to winnipeg... is it generally treadmill time until march?
I've seen many people running during winter, must admit I do look at them and think "silly sods".

Here in Winnipeg there is an indoor track at the Reh-Fit centre and also at the Rady JCC, both require membership.
Old Sep 17th 2013, 11:59 am
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

Anyone else expecting block heaters?
Old Sep 17th 2013, 2:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by MB-Realtor
I've seen many people running during winter, must admit I do look at them and think "silly sods".

Here in Winnipeg there is an indoor track at the Reh-Fit centre and also at the Rady JCC, both require membership.
Thanks for the links, helps the research I'm never sure whether running in winter is less or more sensible than running in summer heat!

Bats - I generally heat my block by sitting on the radiator when I get back in.
Old Sep 17th 2013, 8:29 pm
Pondering a career change

Mikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the links, helps the research I'm never sure whether running in winter is less or more sensible than running in summer heat!

Bats - I generally heat my block by sitting on the radiator when I get back in.
I suppose it depends on whether your an all weather or fair weather runner , As long as you prepare then summer and winter running are both sensible
Old Sep 18th 2013, 6:12 am
half a century

The4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond repute

Great advice all, many thanks! Pretty much what I was hoping to hear too. I'm used to running in pretty crappy conditions, but I didn't want to be consigned to the gym all winter. From the sounds of it though, I'm not sure my running partner (the dog) will be so keen!
Dog may need booties!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.