Reload this Page >

Winnipeg, or bust????

Winnipeg, or bust????

Old Jul 3rd 2010, 6:19 pm
Forum Regular

samjr400 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Winnipeg, or bust????

Originally Posted by bobthedog
In honesty, the Peg area is far safer than most places I have been to. The North End is not a wise place to go strolling with your wallet on show and is best avoided unless that particular chinese restaurant is to your taste. Use wisdom and you will have no problems.

Houses are often larger and cheaper outside of town. Niverville, Grande Pointe, Ile des Chenes... All good places and all a stonesthrow from the city lights.

The mozzies... well they all seem to be the size of mozzies to me. The big bugs are seldom blood drinkers, but there are an awful lot of them. The repellents are good here. They actually work!! If you keep your grass short and the standing water to a minimum then they won't be able to breed.

Winter clothing is something you would be better buying here. Most of the stuff you buy in the UK is simply not good enough for the real cold. That said, it is manageable. -35 is not nearly as bad here as -10 is in the UK. I have been outside working at -55 before, but I will openly admit that hurt. After a couple of years you will find yourself not noticing it half as much.

The car, do yourself a favour here and don't buy an AWD vehicle, buy a 4WD with manual switching. AWD is a pain- cut one tyre and you have to replace all four. Buy a slightly older car to begin with. Our Explorer is a 2000, all singing- all dancing, and low mileage, but it was cheap. We paid $7500 for it over 2 years ago. I am not being silly here, but you will, at some point, go into the ditch and the less expensive the car, the less it hurts you to bend it.

Any of you guys that are already in Winnipeg - if your UK passport runs out how do you renew it ??? Might be a daft question to ask but we move there in March 2011 and my kids passports runs out in Autumn 2011.
Thanks
Old Jul 3rd 2010, 6:30 pm
Forum Regular

bobthedog has a spectacular aura aboutbobthedog has a spectacular aura aboutbobthedog has a spectacular aura about

You could renew them before you come, or you have to send them to Washington DC to the passport office there. There is nowhere in Canada where you can do them anymore.
Old Jul 4th 2010, 8:54 pm
Forum Regular

You could renew them before you come, or you have to send them to Washington DC to the passport office there. There is nowhere in Canada where you can do them anymore.
thanks x
Old Aug 1st 2010, 5:20 pm
Just Joined

Gladiator111 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Folks
Well I've been here for a few days now. Been very busy looking for a house in and around the Peg with a very good and informative Realator. Have seen a couple of houses I like, have filmed and taken photo's of them to then Skype back to the UK for a debrief with the boss. Amazingly, she is happy with my choices...

Bit of a strange ol' time as there has been a mass exodus from the city to the lakes though the weather ain't that much good so they'll be back soon. The city is like a ghost town.

So where are these infamous mossies??? Went out to Niverville to look at a couple of houses there but I guess it's a bit too far and departed from the buzz of the Peg, a pity because the houses are really nice though no finished basements.

I'm wanting to sample the local foods but also would like to find a few English foods such as PG Tips. Any ideas where to buy this in Winnipeg?

So far, go good but I'm already missing the family and hope to buy a house as soon as possible to get them here before the start of school term.

Thanks again for a great forum!

Chris
Old Aug 1st 2010, 8:24 pm
Forum Regular

bobthedog has a spectacular aura aboutbobthedog has a spectacular aura aboutbobthedog has a spectacular aura about

The Raging Brit on Portage, somewhere around the 2200 block ahs quite a lot. If you check around the supermarkets they often have things in there. The Boss says Safeway sell PG tips..

Niverville is close enough to the city to get there easily, so is always worth considering. Look at Ile des Chenes as well.

The mozzies were out in force in Sundown last night, after a day with horseflies taking lumps out of us.. They aren't as bad as they were at the moment though.

Last edited by bobthedog; Aug 1st 2010 at 8:27 pm. Reason: Additional stuff
Old Aug 1st 2010, 11:26 pm
Just Joined

The Raging Brit on Portage, somewhere around the 2200 block ahs quite a lot. If you check around the supermarkets they often have things in there. The Boss says Safeway sell PG tips..

Niverville is close enough to the city to get there easily, so is always worth considering. Look at Ile des Chenes as well.

The mozzies were out in force in Sundown last night, after a day with horseflies taking lumps out of us.. They aren't as bad as they were at the moment though.
Cheers for that Bob
Have read a number of postings reporting that the PG Tips aren't the same as the UK blend, though we'll buy a small pack for tasting, thanks.

I think I shall have another look in Niverville, thanks for the advice. Is it prodominantly French speaking in Ile des Chenes?
Old Aug 2nd 2010, 1:30 am
Forum Regular

I mainly drink coffee so am no tea connoisseur... The wife likes them though.

Ile des chenes doesn't seem french, but even if it were they are still in an English speaking zone so would not be weird about it. In truth, the entire southern side of Winnipeg is a huge construction zone at the moment. I think someone said 80000 new homes are being built. Better to be outside the perimeter I think.
That said, a friend told me yesterday his house in the city, bought 2 years ago, has increased in value by $80k.. Hmm, maybe that is where the 80000 came from..
Old Aug 2nd 2010, 1:43 am
Just Joined

I mainly drink coffee so am no tea connoisseur... The wife likes them though.

Ile des chenes doesn't seem french, but even if it were they are still in an English speaking zone so would not be weird about it. In truth, the entire southern side of Winnipeg is a huge construction zone at the moment. I think someone said 80000 new homes are being built. Better to be outside the perimeter I think.
That said, a friend told me yesterday his house in the city, bought 2 years ago, has increased in value by $80k.. Hmm, maybe that is where the 80000 came from..
Thanks again Bob....and that is why I'm buying property and not renting. It's dead money and it's paying for someone else's mortgage and tax. If anything, if we decide Canada is not for us, I'm sure we shall accumulate some equity after a couple of years. But personally, I think it will be the other way round and sell up in the UK and settle down here in Manitoba. After giving it 2 years, I'de hope the UK housing market and £/$ can get a chance to get off their knees and improve somewhat, that way we can maximise on our equity. I just hope it all works out...

Ah, another night in the Holiday Towers; can't wait to move out.
Old Aug 2nd 2010, 2:00 am
Forum Regular

Ask around about Realtors, and look for one outside the city if you are thinking of buying outside the city. Try to find one who is not pushy and will not faff around.
Truth to tell, most properties didn't drop value, but sales slowed down a bit. They will probably continue climbing for some time, and I can't see them ever really bottoming out like in Alberta.
Old Sep 27th 2010, 9:41 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Gladiator111
Hi all
Just a quick update. Things have been moving pretty fast. My flight has been booked for the end of July and the rest of the family will move out in September.

Had John Masons' over and have itemised all our stuff to send out there in 3 weeks time. The work permit has now been submitted and I will be briefed on the immigration process in the next week or two.

Just sold the car (at a loss booo...) but luckily my current role has allowed the use of a hire car; so we're not without a car until the move. Now looking at what car to buy out there, was thinking on a SUV of some sort - $20k 'ish 2008-9 Ford Escape? No rush as the company will give me a hire car for 3 months.

After finding few and far between decent affordable 3-4br houses for rent, I've now bit the bullet and will go for a 95% mortgage with Scotiabank. They seem to have the best offers for new comers with a really good "Welcome to Canada" deal. Have managed to drum up enough cash for the deposit, just hope that I can get the mortgage sorted before the wife and kids come out, fingers crossed...! I know it's risky, in terms of the right location, if we like the Peg, the winters, the mossies etc. etc. but I begrudge paying for someone elses mortgage and land tax! Why not invest and make some money after at least two years. At that stage we will know which side of the pond to stay and sell up which ever way it goes. However I really feel that this is the right choice, this is a chance of a lifetime. The Canadian folk have been so welcoming and friendly and I've been PM'ing new found friends regularly now.

Well I may be portraying that I've made my mind up on many things but your opinions are greatly valued and would welcome your help and comments.

Thanks
Chris
How did you find John Masons?? I am looking into shipping to Winnipeg at the moment.
Old Sep 28th 2010, 1:38 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by samjr400
How did you find John Masons?? I am looking into shipping to Winnipeg at the moment.
John Masons were excellent when packing our stuff in the UK. They work in partnership with AMJ Campells who were also extremely helpful and friendly. They kept me upto date on progress, giving container location at various milestones. No issues with the container once it had arrived, I only had to sign off the items at customs and the rest was done for me. Cant fault either company, although slightly more expensive than the competition, but I would def recommend them as fellow work colleagues had major problems, and additional hidden costs, when it came to transferring items from the container to storage. With AMJ and Masons, the quote included for these eventualities, happy days!!

Chris
Old Sep 28th 2010, 6:40 am
Forum Regular

John Masons were excellent when packing our stuff in the UK. They work in partnership with AMJ Campells who were also extremely helpful and friendly. They kept me upto date on progress, giving container location at various milestones. No issues with the container once it had arrived, I only had to sign off the items at customs and the rest was done for me. Cant fault either company, although slightly more expensive than the competition, but I would def recommend them as fellow work colleagues had major problems, and additional hidden costs, when it came to transferring items from the container to storage. With AMJ and Masons, the quote included for these eventualities, happy days!!

Chris
Many thanks.
Old Oct 23rd 2010, 1:20 pm
Just Joined

Hi All
Another dawn on the Prairie! I'm sitting here with the wife, drinking tea, watching the most beautiful sun rise on a cold and crisp October morning - here in Niverville.

Yes, I managed to purchase a house in Niverville and it's been a whirlwind of activities getting the family and house sorted. We've now been here for a month and the kids seem to have settled into school, having plenty of new friends. The wife has been spending her time emptying boxes and cleaning the new pad.

People here are extremely friendly and we've already spent Thanksgiving day at a neighbours house! Amazing times.

I took everyone's advice and went and bought a three year old Ford Escape, that does the Winnipeg commute with no trouble, fingers crossed for winter eh?? It was funny the day I bought that car. Did the usual thing of test driving and kicking the tires then back into the office for form filling when a ninja mossie decided to attack my face whilst the sales manager was not looking! A flurry of hand waving ensued, battling with this hungry needle with wings, but the bar steward won, and sure enough the sales manager was rolling over in laughter when my chin doubled in size right before his eyes! Oh well, gotta get used to them I guess.... (car salesmen and mossies!)

I just called into Steinbach and bought a rook of winter gear for the kids, the car and the driveway! Bought one of those snowthrowers that you would need a drivers license in the UK to use! 208cc engine to blow snow! Mad eh? ...and this is just a baby!

No one has felt the pangs of homesickness yet, though it's only been a month here - it's still the honeymoon period so just ask us that one in February when it's -50!

The house is two year old, basement is undeveloped and I've already CAD'ed up the layout and have bought a couple of books on basement development. Just need the wife in a job to pay for MY project but this will give her the 4th and 5th bedrooms she's always wanted. Talking of basements we have a sump and pump which seems to be running fairly regulary, so It's either a high water table (summer was pretty wet here I believe) or there's a water leak somewhere! Not happy with it as the pipe discharges onto the driveway and onto the street which will be an Ice hazard and I'm pretty sure it's illegal / frowned upon. I think a nice "soakaway, rockery and a spruce to suck it up" spring project is on the cards for that one.

Life, at the moment, is good!

Thanks all for your help, truthful advice and friendship! It's helped a long way for this amazing journey. It could have gone so wrong but so far it's been a smooth as it could have been. But it's very early days and I'll be asking plenty more questions here in the future, but thanks again - Cheers.

Chris
Old Oct 23rd 2010, 3:43 pm
Forum Regular

Hi All
Another dawn on the Prairie! I'm sitting here with the wife, drinking tea, watching the most beautiful sun rise on a cold and crisp October morning - here in Niverville.

Yes, I managed to purchase a house in Niverville and it's been a whirlwind of activities getting the family and house sorted. We've now been here for a month and the kids seem to have settled into school, having plenty of new friends. The wife has been spending her time emptying boxes and cleaning the new pad.

People here are extremely friendly and we've already spent Thanksgiving day at a neighbours house! Amazing times.

I took everyone's advice and went and bought a three year old Ford Escape, that does the Winnipeg commute with no trouble, fingers crossed for winter eh?? It was funny the day I bought that car. Did the usual thing of test driving and kicking the tires then back into the office for form filling when a ninja mossie decided to attack my face whilst the sales manager was not looking! A flurry of hand waving ensued, battling with this hungry needle with wings, but the bar steward won, and sure enough the sales manager was rolling over in laughter when my chin doubled in size right before his eyes! Oh well, gotta get used to them I guess.... (car salesmen and mossies!)

I just called into Steinbach and bought a rook of winter gear for the kids, the car and the driveway! Bought one of those snowthrowers that you would need a drivers license in the UK to use! 208cc engine to blow snow! Mad eh? ...and this is just a baby!

No one has felt the pangs of homesickness yet, though it's only been a month here - it's still the honeymoon period so just ask us that one in February when it's -50!

The house is two year old, basement is undeveloped and I've already CAD'ed up the layout and have bought a couple of books on basement development. Just need the wife in a job to pay for MY project but this will give her the 4th and 5th bedrooms she's always wanted. Talking of basements we have a sump and pump which seems to be running fairly regulary, so It's either a high water table (summer was pretty wet here I believe) or there's a water leak somewhere! Not happy with it as the pipe discharges onto the driveway and onto the street which will be an Ice hazard and I'm pretty sure it's illegal / frowned upon. I think a nice "soakaway, rockery and a spruce to suck it up" spring project is on the cards for that one.

Life, at the moment, is good!

Thanks all for your help, truthful advice and friendship! It's helped a long way for this amazing journey. It could have gone so wrong but so far it's been a smooth as it could have been. But it's very early days and I'll be asking plenty more questions here in the future, but thanks again - Cheers.

Chris
I am pleased everything is workin out and long may it continue!!!! I cant wait to get there in March 2011. I am counting the days.
Old Oct 23rd 2010, 4:29 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by samjr400
I am pleased everything is workin out and long may it continue!!!! I cant wait to get there in March 2011. I am counting the days.
Thanks mate, appreciate it. Let us know how your getting on as well. If you need any advice, just ask - thanks again and good luck mate!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.