Winnipeg

Old Jan 29th 2011, 12:44 am
BE Enthusiast

dormy is a splendid one to beholddormy is a splendid one to beholddormy is a splendid one to beholddormy is a splendid one to beholddormy is a splendid one to beholddormy is a splendid one to beholddormy is a splendid one to beholddormy is a splendid one to beholddormy is a splendid one to beholddormy is a splendid one to beholddormy is a splendid one to behold
Default Winnipeg

Recently made redundant in Halifax, and have managed to land a great job in Winnipeg; so it looks like I will be upping sticks and moving out there in the next couple of weeks.

I am looking for advice on decent areas to look for rentals, or at least areas to avoid.

Any advice good & bad will be gratefullt accepted
Old Jan 29th 2011, 12:48 am
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Winnipeg

Originally Posted by dormy
Recently made redundant in Halifax, and have managed to land a great job in Winnipeg; so it looks like I will be upping sticks and moving out there in the next couple of weeks.

I am looking for advice on decent areas to look for rentals, or at least areas to avoid.

Any advice good & bad will be gratefullt accepted
Don't read anything into this, but have you ever been to Winnipeg?
Old Jan 29th 2011, 12:52 am
BE Enthusiast

dormy is a splendid one to beholddormy is a splendid one to beholddormy is a splendid one to beholddormy is a splendid one to beholddormy is a splendid one to beholddormy is a splendid one to beholddormy is a splendid one to beholddormy is a splendid one to beholddormy is a splendid one to beholddormy is a splendid one to beholddormy is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by tonrob
Very briefly, for 2 days during the interview process; it seemed very grim and very cold. But it is a wonderful opportunity, fantastic job and great money, so I have no choice, as there is nothing in NS and its only getting worse.
Old Jan 29th 2011, 12:59 am
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

Very briefly, for 2 days during the interview process; it seemed very grim and very cold.
I've heard it warms up a bit in August. I was there a couple of months ago and had the most insanely hot vindaloo in some fake British pub.
Old Jan 29th 2011, 7:18 am
BE Enthusiast

snowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud of

doesnt take long for the 'peg bashers to turn up does it!

Where abouts in the city will you be working?

Winnipeg is a great city, with lots going on. As you have found out the winter is cold, from may til sept its pretty nice temp wise, although it can get a bit muggy in high summer. And then theres the mozzies.

The city is well provided for with a great cultural scene.

Like any major city the downtown area has it's issues. Generally downtown avoid north of portage, the West and North ends are probably places to avoid (although the West End Cultural centre is an excellent venue)

In terms of suburbs River heights and Wolseley are desirable and being pretty central are easily commutable to most places, it's an older suburb. St James is a bit nearer the airport and is an ok area. fort richmond and Wildwood are more to the south and again not bad areas. I guess a lot depends on your work location, budget, Family size etc.

Decent curry is a bit thin on the ground though!
Old Jan 29th 2011, 3:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

I will be working on Ellice Avenue, in Polo Park, opening the new Marriott Hotel that is being built there, so am getting excited about the prospects. I have no family so am not concerned about schools etc, just dont want to land in some war zone!
Old Jan 29th 2011, 3:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

snowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud of

ok, well that puts you nicely in st James, its an ok area, If you are on the north side of portage ave you should be west of polo park, I would look south of portage ave in Wolseley, or possibly over the assiniboine river, in river heights. The streets around academy would be a good starting point

You can commute easily up and down route 90.
Old Feb 1st 2011, 8:56 pm
Forum Regular

samjr400 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by snowshoveller
doesnt take long for the 'peg bashers to turn up does it!

Where abouts in the city will you be working?

Winnipeg is a great city, with lots going on. As you have found out the winter is cold, from may til sept its pretty nice temp wise, although it can get a bit muggy in high summer. And then theres the mozzies.

The city is well provided for with a great cultural scene.

Like any major city the downtown area has it's issues. Generally downtown avoid north of portage, the West and North ends are probably places to avoid (although the West End Cultural centre is an excellent venue)

In terms of suburbs River heights and Wolseley are desirable and being pretty central are easily commutable to most places, it's an older suburb. St James is a bit nearer the airport and is an ok area. fort richmond and Wildwood are more to the south and again not bad areas. I guess a lot depends on your work location, budget, Family size etc.

Decent curry is a bit thin on the ground though!
"Pegbashers" - lol I like it!!!! Well I cant wait to move near Winnipeg in the next few months. Getting very excited and also panicky at the the same time.
Old Feb 3rd 2011, 9:08 pm
Des

Des7783 is just really niceDes7783 is just really niceDes7783 is just really niceDes7783 is just really niceDes7783 is just really niceDes7783 is just really niceDes7783 is just really niceDes7783 is just really nice

Originally Posted by samjr400
"Pegbashers" - lol I like it!!!! Well I cant wait to move near Winnipeg in the next few months. Getting very excited and also panicky at the the same time.
I live in River Heights & have 4 Condo units in Wolsely - 2 great areas, although a bit 'tree huggish' but very frindly & safe places to live.

Winnipeg is pretty cold in the winter months (Nov - Mar) but nice summers.

If I can be of any help - just shout

Des
Old Feb 3rd 2011, 9:09 pm
Des

Des7783 is just really niceDes7783 is just really niceDes7783 is just really niceDes7783 is just really niceDes7783 is just really niceDes7783 is just really niceDes7783 is just really niceDes7783 is just really nice

I will be working on Ellice Avenue, in Polo Park, opening the new Marriott Hotel that is being built there, so am getting excited about the prospects. I have no family so am not concerned about schools etc, just dont want to land in some war zone!
I live in River Heights & have 4 Condo units in Wolsely - 2 great areas, although a bit 'tree huggish' but very frindly & safe places to live.

Winnipeg is pretty cold in the winter months (Nov - Mar) but nice summers.

If I can be of any help - just shout

Des
Old Feb 26th 2011, 9:09 pm
Just Joined

Cunnanes is an unknown quantity at this point

My husband and i are moving to Winnipeg in the next 5 months,he's just been asked to go over to Winnipeg to take a look and meet people etc from company so you'll have to let us know how it goes the first few weeks/months over there.We are not sure where we'll be living yet but we'll be looking at places where i can take my 2 year and 3 month old sons out and about so near parks,pre-schools etc..
Would like to know more about life in Winnipeg too though so keep us informed if poss!and good luck with the move.
Old Feb 27th 2011, 10:24 pm
Get me to Canada fast!!

khuppe is an unknown quantity at this point

My husband is originally from winnipeg and his family all live there still. I have spent quite a lot of time there over the last few years on and off. There are nice areas in winnipeg and some rough areas, but you get that everywhere and you just avoid going there.

Assiniboine park in the summer is lovely, the zoo is there too. There are some great restaurants and you always find something to do. In the summertime there is Folklerama which is a celebration of everyones different cultures, you can try their food, watch their traditional dances etc ....

Its bloody cold in the winter, but hot in the summer.
Old Mar 4th 2011, 4:46 pm
Just Joined

Gladiator111 is an unknown quantity at this point

Good luck with the move. Peg bashers... love it.

I moved to Niverville, just south of the Peg and I commute in, dropping off the wife on Portage where she's got a job in a cake shop. The drive in takes me 45mins by going around the perimeter. If you like the small community feel, look outside the city - there's some great places.

As for Winnipeg, well we've been here for six months and we've made some really great friends here. Wouldn't move back now, for sure.

We chose to purchase our house instead of renting. It's cheaper and the house is yours at the end of the day, and house prices are pretty bouyant at the moment.

As for the cold, yes - it's cold, getting as low as -35C. However you wrap up warm and you won't feel it. I bought an Arctic coat half price - it's not all that cold now..
Old Mar 4th 2011, 5:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

jamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond repute

yup,niverville,st.agathe,st.jean. some really nice towns south of the peg and close enough to travel,building lots o new houses.
lived in st francois xavier (white horse escape) west of the peg when we visited mb& then when we emigrated (for a month..) north end no so good in peg also elgin ave west area.
most violence is gang on gang type.
but like most cities you find out for yourself where you would not go for a midnight stroll...
james
Old Mar 7th 2011, 3:10 am
Just Joined

Nikki73 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by tonrob
Was thinking the same thing

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.