Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Windscreen repairs and no claims history

Windscreen repairs and no claims history

Old Dec 20th 2015, 9:19 am
Forum Regular

moosemeadows has a reputation beyond reputemoosemeadows has a reputation beyond reputemoosemeadows has a reputation beyond reputemoosemeadows has a reputation beyond reputemoosemeadows has a reputation beyond reputemoosemeadows has a reputation beyond reputemoosemeadows has a reputation beyond reputemoosemeadows has a reputation beyond reputemoosemeadows has a reputation beyond reputemoosemeadows has a reputation beyond reputemoosemeadows has a reputation beyond repute
Default Windscreen repairs and no claims history

Hi everyone. Can anyone tell me whether an insurance claim to have your windscreen replaced counts as a claim on your no claims history when applying to the ICBC for discount?

I am currently in the UK but landed as a permanent resident in Canada a few weeks ago to return there when everything is wrapped up here. I was happily thinking that I could get the full no claims discount as I have in excess of the maximum number of years of no claims history in the UK, and then I remembered that due to chips in the windscreen I claimed on my insurance to have it repaired. I'd been thinking that it was more along the lines of accidents etc but I am guessing that the ICBC will view a claim as a claim no matter whether it was for something like a stone chip on a windscreen.

If this turns out that I don't have the no claims record that I was hoping for, could I instead have my wife insure the car in BC in her name rather than me doing it, as she does have full no claims history...we'll both be driving the car.

Thanks! :-)
Old Dec 20th 2015, 9:23 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Windscreen repairs and no claims history

I'm so glad that you've done your research.
Old Dec 20th 2015, 9:49 am

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

In BC windshield coverage does not affect claims history. How yours shows up depends on what your insurers write in the claims history letter they send you. The letter has to be in the format ICBC require and from an insurance company, not a broker.
Old Dec 20th 2015, 2:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

Snowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi in 2012 I managed to get a discount despite a replaced windscreen in the UK (I think we had a pebble dent which we lived with for ages and then for some reason we had to get it replaced). However, I cannot find the letter that the UK insurers eventually wrote. I can only find the letter I wrote to ICBC once I had the letters to send them so I could get the discount. I had to fill in ICBC forms after I had taken out the car insurance.

In my letter to ICBC I ended by writing that the letters from the insurers showed there were no claims involving any other vehicles and that the only claim was for windscreen damage to my own car (which the UK insurer letter showed).

So it's possible. That bit was straightforward and once ICBC had reviewed the docs, I got the discount. The absolute nightmare was getting the UK insurers to write the correct form of the letter in the first place.

S

Last edited by Snowy560; Dec 20th 2015 at 2:23 pm.
Old Dec 21st 2015, 5:38 am
Account Closed

vanity has a reputation beyond reputevanity has a reputation beyond reputevanity has a reputation beyond reputevanity has a reputation beyond reputevanity has a reputation beyond reputevanity has a reputation beyond reputevanity has a reputation beyond reputevanity has a reputation beyond reputevanity has a reputation beyond reputevanity has a reputation beyond reputevanity has a reputation beyond repute

Hi, what Aviator said (and Snowy560 - the format is very important)

Make sure you get the template from ICBC website.
Old Dec 21st 2015, 6:16 am
Forum Regular

moosemeadows has a reputation beyond reputemoosemeadows has a reputation beyond reputemoosemeadows has a reputation beyond reputemoosemeadows has a reputation beyond reputemoosemeadows has a reputation beyond reputemoosemeadows has a reputation beyond reputemoosemeadows has a reputation beyond reputemoosemeadows has a reputation beyond reputemoosemeadows has a reputation beyond reputemoosemeadows has a reputation beyond reputemoosemeadows has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you very much, everyone - very helpful. Fingers crossed that it all works out as I hope!
Old Dec 21st 2015, 6:32 am
BE Enthusiast

bc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond repute

Just in case it already has not been emphasised enough - the format has to be exactly as ICBC state. We had to send in three or four different letters with various corrections before we got the discount.