Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Will my UK applicances work, please?

Will my UK applicances work, please?

Old Sep 27th 2010, 4:24 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Will my UK applicances work, please?

Originally Posted by iaink
Look again, all that fixed cost is in fact based on percentages of your usage. The debt retirement is 0.7c/ kwH, the delivery component is another percentage etc etc, the regulatory charges another percantage with a small fixed component. Very little of it is actually fixed and non variable based on usage.

The deceptive nature of the bill is another reason to despise them.
I don't recall that being the case but don't have a bill to hand. It may also depend on the supplier, do you get power directly from Hydro One or are you urbanised enough to have a local power utility?
Old Sep 27th 2010, 4:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

Cdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of light

think I will go solar power, gotta be cheaper....

pitching tent also works if it were not so bloody cold here

We have no choice hydro is all we can get!!
Old Sep 27th 2010, 4:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
Besides, the structure of the bill now is that it's mostly fixed cost, being careful with the use of power makes very little difference to the bill so consumers are freed of the need to unplug things.
Our bill in NS used to between $110 and $150 every two months. The last bill we received was $120, despite the fact that it's been vacant for 6 weeks of the two month period.

So it either makes no difference at all how much you actually unplug, or our realtor is renting the place out for parties while we aren't there
Old Sep 27th 2010, 4:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

Cdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Tuppence
Our bill in NS used to between $110 and $150 every two months. The last bill we received was $120, despite the fact that it's been vacant for 6 weeks of the two month period.

So it either makes no difference at all how much you actually unplug, or our realtor is renting the place out for parties while we aren't there
That is ridiculious, did you query that bill?
Old Sep 27th 2010, 4:36 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

, do you get power directly from Hydro One or are you urbanised enough to have a local power utility?
Originally Posted by Cdnshaz
We have no choice hydro is all we can get!!
What Cdnshaz says... shes just a bit up the road from me.
Old Sep 27th 2010, 4:37 pm
Account Closed

fledermaus is an unknown quantity at this point

I don't recall that being the case but don't have a bill to hand. It may also depend on the supplier, do you get power directly from Hydro One or are you urbanised enough to have a local power utility?
I can't find a recent bill but one from august 2009 for Hydro One has a debt retirement charge, regulatory charges, and delivery charges listed separately from the kWh used. The bill does not say if the debt charge is a % or a set amount.
Old Sep 27th 2010, 4:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

I just checked mine, but not set amt as different each month
must be %
Old Sep 27th 2010, 4:41 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fledermaus
I can't find a recent bill but one from august 2009 for Hydro One has a debt retirement charge, regulatory charges, and delivery charges listed separately from the kWh used. The bill does not say if the debt charge is a % or a set amount.
I thought it was a fixed amount. Regardless, the variation in my bill month-to-month is less than 1% regardless of being prudent or wild with the usage. (That's after allowing that the estimated bills are about twice the actual ones so there are a lot of adjustments to consider).
Old Sep 27th 2010, 4:42 pm
Account Closed

fledermaus is an unknown quantity at this point

I thought it was a fixed amount. Regardless, the variation in my bill month-to-month is less than 1% regardless of being prudent or wild with the usage. (That's after allowing that the estimated bills are about twice the actual ones so there are a lot of adjustments to consider).
No it varies each month.
Old Sep 27th 2010, 4:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

After not being here in last year, I read meter every month, we have one of them new smart meter things, but they still come to read it....so guess not so smart eh!
I am not paying estimate, I will pay for what I use, all my other bills are accurate, if I miss payment or am late they charge me interest, if I over pay and have credit on 3rd month, do they pay me interest on the money I have prepaid? I don't think so,, maybe a bit stingy but again If I use it I will pay, if I don't I refuse