Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Our Two Week Landing Trip, went something like this....

Our Two Week Landing Trip, went something like this....

Old Jul 17th 2010, 10:28 am
BE Enthusiast

ducktastic has a reputation beyond reputeducktastic has a reputation beyond reputeducktastic has a reputation beyond reputeducktastic has a reputation beyond reputeducktastic has a reputation beyond reputeducktastic has a reputation beyond reputeducktastic has a reputation beyond reputeducktastic has a reputation beyond reputeducktastic has a reputation beyond reputeducktastic has a reputation beyond reputeducktastic has a reputation beyond repute
Default Our Two Week Landing Trip, went something like this....

Hi everyone who was interested in our two weeks landing trip, it was a mix of practical and tourist stuff and it went something like this:

Day one - arrived in immigration and as you can see from my previous post that went really smoothly and no probs whatsoever. Picked up hire car and made our way to the apartment we had rented in Yaletown.
Day two - chilled out got over jet lag. We went to find a supermarket, we went to Wallmart slightly out of town thinking it had to be cheaper than shopping downtown, which is was, however in the UK I am a Waitrose kind a girl! We then went to Granville Island and mooched.
Day Three - looked around Port Moody and the Tricities in general. And agreed as lovely as some of it was, it is too far out from the city for work.
Day four - went to look around North Vancouver, really liked the area around Capilano and being so close to Grouse Mountain for skiing is amazing, but Lionsgate Bridge is a nightmare for traffic. We did some touristy stuff and went to the Mountain and to Cap Bridge. Drove to a small place called Deep Cove, we really liked this here too, particularly the OH. Bear warnings everywhere. Infact anytime we were anywhere slightly near forests, there were warning signs.
Day five - Went to Kitsilano, Fairview, Westpoint Grey. Ok by far by favourite bit, but of course the most expensive! I loved the city beach living.
We also had a good look around some areas of West Van, equally lovely but we would need to win the lottery to be able to afford to be there!
Day six - Canada Day!! - we got up early and went to Vancouver Island. We got the car ferry from Tsawwassen to Victoria. Spent the day in Victoria, had afternoon tea at the Empress, we dressed up in our Canadian hockey shirts and joined the living flag, so really threw ourselves into it! We then drove down to Parksville and saw the fireworks on the beach in the evening, spent the night there and then the next day went to Tofino...BEAUTIFUL. We then drove to Nanaimo and got the ferry back to Horse shoe bay from there.
Day eight - Spent the day around Vancouver, had brekkie at Granville Island, we then hired bikes and went to Stanley Park, had late lunch in the Tea Rooms in the park. Bikes are the way to get around.
Day nine - went whale watching with Wild Whales in Granville Island. Saw Jpod! The Orcas breeching in front of the boat were prob one of the most amazing things I have ever seen.
Day ten - went to Whistler. This was so weird being in the mountains in the extreme sunshine yet you get to the top on the gondala and we were throwing snowballs! Saw a mum bear with her two cubs just wondering across the piste.
Day 11- hired bikes for the entire day today. Cycled the length of the seawall. But what this did do was gave us a good opportunity to explore the residential areas of Kits and Point Grey. I think we must have cycled 24 miles this day, but it was great fun and very hot!
Day 12 - hired a speed boat for the afternoon from Granville. We went all the way around Indian Arm and did our own island tour, it was not cheap but fab.
Day 13 - went to Seattle. Fab city, went up the needle, did the Duck tour...recommend you go. The only warning is it takes 2 hours to get over the US border, due to both queuing and the interrigation!
Day 14 - went to Granville Island for breakfast, then went to Deep Cove for another look around and a sunbathe, a bear just walked up the stairs from the beach and went right past us.
Last day - guess where we went for breakfast - yep Granville!! We then went the Broadway 'the strip' to get my daughter a back pack as she is was going travelling in Thailand for the summer the day after we got back, and all outdoor stuff as expected is sooo cheap. We then went back to Kits for lunch and a final look around then headed for the airport.
Phew!
So conclusions are:
Everything is more expensive than we thought.
We will NOT be mortgage free
We will have to carry on working full time in our professions for a good few years to come
Areas we like are Kits, Westside, Point Grey and North Van. - hence the first three points
We will rent intitally in October
I need to get my lard butt back to the gym to work off the amount of food and booze I have shoved down my neck over the last 2 weeks. I have a stack of recommended and to be avoided restaurants if anyone is interested.

Oh and finally, it is completely the right thing to do and after 2 weeks Vancouver felt like home.
Old Jul 17th 2010, 10:53 am
BE Enthusiast

linz3112 is a glorious beacon of lightlinz3112 is a glorious beacon of lightlinz3112 is a glorious beacon of lightlinz3112 is a glorious beacon of lightlinz3112 is a glorious beacon of lightlinz3112 is a glorious beacon of lightlinz3112 is a glorious beacon of lightlinz3112 is a glorious beacon of lightlinz3112 is a glorious beacon of lightlinz3112 is a glorious beacon of lightlinz3112 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Our Two Week Landing Trip, went something like this....

Excellent post! Pleased you had a good time, good luck for the move in Oct!
Old Jul 17th 2010, 12:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

raymasa is a name known to allraymasa is a name known to allraymasa is a name known to allraymasa is a name known to allraymasa is a name known to allraymasa is a name known to allraymasa is a name known to allraymasa is a name known to allraymasa is a name known to allraymasa is a name known to allraymasa is a name known to all

Thanks for the post. Very informative. Lots of bears, then? . After reading the post, I am sitting here thinking what am I still doing in the UK? Must move.

Thanks again for the post.

Ray
Old Jul 17th 2010, 12:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

ducktastic has a reputation beyond reputeducktastic has a reputation beyond reputeducktastic has a reputation beyond reputeducktastic has a reputation beyond reputeducktastic has a reputation beyond reputeducktastic has a reputation beyond reputeducktastic has a reputation beyond reputeducktastic has a reputation beyond reputeducktastic has a reputation beyond reputeducktastic has a reputation beyond reputeducktastic has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by raymasa
Thanks for the post. Very informative. Lots of bears, then? . After reading the post, I am sitting here thinking what am I still doing in the UK? Must move.

Thanks again for the post.

Ray
Yep lots of bears everywhere!! Would think twice about going for a hike without protection
Being back in the UK is tough, work is a struggle, but light at the end of the tunnel, only 12 weeks to go....
Old Jul 17th 2010, 2:17 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ducktastic
Yep lots of bears everywhere!! Would think twice about going for a hike without protection
Being back in the UK is tough, work is a struggle, but light at the end of the tunnel, only 12 weeks to go....
Be prepared - The weather in October is not going to be what you left behind. The mini heat wave thankfully went quickly, we're now a balmy 24/25. October the rains come and hard to tell how it'll go from then on in. The winter my o/h arrived it rained from October to March, seemingly non stop. It was along time ago, but still etched in our minds (because she moaned as much as it rained). However judging by your user name, you should be well prepared!

Last edited by Aviator; Jul 17th 2010 at 2:19 pm.
Old Jul 17th 2010, 9:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by The Aviator
Be prepared - The weather in October is not going to be what you left behind. The mini heat wave thankfully went quickly, we're now a balmy 24/25. October the rains come and hard to tell how it'll go from then on in. The winter my o/h arrived it rained from October to March, seemingly non stop. It was along time ago, but still etched in our minds (because she moaned as much as it rained). However judging by your user name, you should be well prepared!
Yes when we were there for the first week it was flippin freezing and we had to buy fleeces...oh and an umbrella! The second week was sweltering, so I am glad it has got cooler for you.
Last time we went it was October and it rained constantly for the week we were there. But you were right about my user name I am used to it as I am Cornish and all it does it rain down there! The positive is, if it is raining in the city then it has to be snowing in the mountains (that is my theory anyway!) and that only means one thing....get your skis out!
Old Jul 17th 2010, 9:41 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

The positive is, if it is raining in the city then it has to be snowing in the mountains (that is my theory anyway!) and that only means one thing....get your skis out!
Sometimes, it rains there too, especially the north shore mountains. All depends on the temps we're getting, but as a rule you're correct.
Old Jul 17th 2010, 9:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

MR79 is a name known to allMR79 is a name known to allMR79 is a name known to allMR79 is a name known to allMR79 is a name known to allMR79 is a name known to allMR79 is a name known to allMR79 is a name known to allMR79 is a name known to allMR79 is a name known to allMR79 is a name known to all

Oh and finally, it is completely the right thing to do and after 2 weeks Vancouver felt like home. [/QUOTE]

Hi glad to hear your trip went well.

I am just interested to hear/know how after 2 weeks holiday Vancouver felt like home?

MR79
Old Jul 17th 2010, 10:08 pm

dboy is an unknown quantity at this point

Sounds like you hit most of the sights. Don't discount the north shore due to the LGB - it largely depends what time you hit it or you can use the sea bus. Or even go the second narrows.

My OH leaves for work at around 0900 hours and generally has no issues with the bridge.

I live in lower lonsdale and can be downtown from my front door in less the 20 mins using the sea bus.

Glad that you had a nice time.
Old Jul 17th 2010, 10:10 pm

dboy is an unknown quantity at this point

Yes when we were there for the first week it was flippin freezing and we had to buy fleeces...oh and an umbrella! The second week was sweltering, so I am glad it has got cooler for you.
Last time we went it was October and it rained constantly for the week we were there. But you were right about my user name I am used to it as I am Cornish and all it does it rain down there! The positive is, if it is raining in the city then it has to be snowing in the mountains (that is my theory anyway!) and that only means one thing....get your skis out!
It was saying on the news that it was the worst june in 57 years. June can often be a bit hit and miss but this one took the biscuit - perfect now though...
Old Jul 18th 2010, 3:59 am
BE Enthusiast

minimeeze has much to be proud ofminimeeze has much to be proud ofminimeeze has much to be proud ofminimeeze has much to be proud ofminimeeze has much to be proud ofminimeeze has much to be proud ofminimeeze has much to be proud ofminimeeze has much to be proud ofminimeeze has much to be proud ofminimeeze has much to be proud ofminimeeze has much to be proud of

Sounds like you packed a lot into your 2 weeks! I agree, Point Grey is beautiful, and if I win the lottery (which is the only chance I'd ever have to live there), I'll be packing up and moving there.
I've been here for 18 months and only ever see 3 bears (from a great distance).
Old Jul 18th 2010, 4:16 am
half a century

The4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond repute

I have been here nearly 2 years and not seen 1 free range bear - I have skiied, hiked, cycled, you name it - all over - no bears!!!

any way - glad you had fun
Old Jul 18th 2010, 10:50 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by MR79
Oh and finally, it is completely the right thing to do and after 2 weeks Vancouver felt like home.
Hi glad to hear your trip went well.

I am just interested to hear/know how after 2 weeks holiday Vancouver felt like home?

MR79[/QUOTE]

Well it is obviously not the first time we have been! It was the longest time that we had spent there in one stretch though. I suppose we were very happy to be back and excited to finally 'land' after 4 years, but it all felt really familiar and comfortable very quickly this time. I suppose that was what I was trying to say. Regardless it was a relief that we didn't get there and think...uk oh maybe not!
Old Jul 18th 2010, 10:52 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by dboy
Sounds like you hit most of the sights. Don't discount the north shore due to the LGB - it largely depends what time you hit it or you can use the sea bus. Or even go the second narrows.

My OH leaves for work at around 0900 hours and generally has no issues with the bridge.

I live in lower lonsdale and can be downtown from my front door in less the 20 mins using the sea bus.

Glad that you had a nice time.
Hey Dboy
Yep we gathered there were other ways to avoid LGB, and do really like the north side. That is encouraging what you said about your OH - does she work downtown?
We were looking at Lower Lonsdale....missed that off my vast itineary, what do you make of it?
cheers
Old Jul 18th 2010, 10:55 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by The4BellsLondon
I have been here nearly 2 years and not seen 1 free range bear - I have skiied, hiked, cycled, you name it - all over - no bears!!!

any way - glad you had fun

Yep it was a bit of a bear-tastic 2 weeks! I think they may have been following us around
We had a fab time, now counting down the days...
PS - hope you had a good trip back to the UK..

Last edited by ducktastic; Jul 18th 2010 at 11:03 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.