Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

BE Wiki / Knowledge Base

BE Wiki / Knowledge Base

Old Jun 24th 2007, 7:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

burton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: BE Wiki / Knowledge Base

Originally Posted by minihaha
Thanks Judy.

I have added the link but I cannot find how to change the link text to say Lethbridge College Rental Accomodation.

Please edit as you see fit, it's my first go and well I did me best.

Mrs minihaha

Hi Ali

sorted that for you

Gay
x
Old Jul 4th 2007, 1:43 am
BE Forum Addict

YYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond repute

A section about travel planning has been added.

Going to bed now. Hang on - I'm in bed. Laptops rule.
Old Jul 4th 2007, 5:08 am
Now on Vancouver Island

Judy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by YYZlover
A section about travel planning has been added.
Great stuff, YYZlover. Many thanks for that.
Old Jul 4th 2007, 7:26 am
BE Forum Addict

YYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Judy in Calgary
Great stuff, YYZlover. Many thanks for that.
Thank you, Judy.

Took me a while to figure out how to add it as a subsection. If you think it should be elsewhere, please move it.

I'm going to sort out a comparison chart for excess luggage cost as well.
Old Aug 4th 2007, 7:04 pm
Now on Vancouver Island

Judy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond repute

In other discussion threads you may have noticed that JonboyE has added Wiki pages on

Canada Taxation

and

Canada tax and selling houses

Gaynor (burtonbunch) and I collaborated on

Alberta - Introduction

I also have added

Canada Housing

A lot of the information on that page came from a recent discussion thread about what to look out for when you buy a house.

Finally, I have added

Canada Renting
Old Aug 5th 2007, 5:29 pm
Now on Vancouver Island

In her last sleepless hours in the UK, Gaynor (burtonbunch) created a sort of

British English - Canadian English dictionary
Old Aug 6th 2007, 11:41 pm
Now on Vancouver Island

Added a page on

Skilled Trades
Old Aug 8th 2007, 6:49 am
Now on Vancouver Island

Vancouver

JonboyE supplied the words, and I did the cut and paste job.
Old Aug 20th 2007, 2:18 am
Banned

startwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond repute

Okay, peeps (a word I learned here and whose meaning I hope I understand), I have written the BE Wiki article to beat all BE Wiki articles.

It is called

Canadian Immigration Overview

and you can find it here.

It's a bit ironical that I wrote the article, because I consider the topic of immigration to be my weak link. I immigrated 30 years ago. Some things have changed since then. I have no personal experience of the work permit process, spousal sponsorship, study permits, etc.

However, one of the newbie questions that drives me the craziest around here is, "Where do I start [in the process of getting to Canada]?" I feel the Wiki has been crying out for a "One Stop Shop" from which people could get an overview of that issue.

My article may contain errors. If so, I hope others will correct them. (That is the beauty of the Wiki process.) But at least my article is a start.

I have no hesitation in blowing my own trumpet about that article, because it was one hell of a writing session.

However, the one topic I am not going to address, although I think it needs to be addressed, is Canadian electricity. If I thought immigration was my weak link, I lack an expression to rate my knowledge of electricity.

And now I'm off to make a slap up meal.

I hope Easter Bunny was kind to all of you.

Judy, you are incredible!
Old Aug 21st 2007, 7:54 pm
Now on Vancouver Island

Originally Posted by startwin
Judy, you are incredible!
Thank you for the compliment, startwin.

Here is another page that took me just a few minutes to whip up. It was not the tour de force that the immigration page was. But I think the info is useful nonetheless.

Medical Insurance
Old Aug 21st 2007, 9:07 pm
Now on Vancouver Island

How to create a Wiki page

A few people have sent me private messages and asked me to explain to them how to create a new Wiki page or how to edit an existing one. It is becoming a bit time consuming to explain this stuff by private message, so I am going to post some instructions publicly.

Creating a placeholder for your new Wiki page

Go to an existing Wiki page that is in the section of the Wiki in which you want to publish your new Wiki page.

Suppose you want to public a Wiki page in the Canada section of the Wiki.

Click on the link to one of the pages in the Canada section. Let’s say, just as an example, that you click on the link to Medical Insurance.

Click on the Edit button near the top of the screen. That will bring you to a screen on which both the text as well as the hidden, behind the scenes codes are visible.

Highlight and copy the tag that is right at the very top of the screen. This is the tag that will place the page in the section of the Wiki in which you want it to appear. The tag looks like this:

[[Category:Canada]][[Category:Canadian Lifestyle]]

Creating the new Wiki page

Hit the Back button at the top left hand corner of the screen. That will return you to the regular Medical Insurance page (on which the hidden tags and codes are not visible).

Go to the address bar near the top of the screen. The current text in the address bar is:

http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Medical_Insurance

Delete Medical_Insurance, and substitute the text that you want. Let’s suppose you want to create a Wiki page on watching football. It would look like this:

http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Watching_Football

Click on the Go button to the right of the address bar OR hit the Return key on your keyboard.

You will now have a blank screen headed by the words, “Watching Football.”

Populating your new Wiki page

Click on the “edit this page” link that appears below, and to the right of, the main heading. This will open up a large text box into which you can insert the text of your article.

Formatting codes

If you already know how to post messages on an Internet forum, typing the text of your article should be easy enough. However, there are a couple of pointers that you probably would find useful.
  1. Creating headings

A main (first level) title is created by typing a single equals sign ( = ) on either side of the title's text.

Let’s suppose your main heading will be “Bars.” You type it like this:

=Bars=

A second level heading is created by typing two equals signs on either side of the title's text.

Let’s suppose your secondary headings will be the names of major Canadian cities for which you will provide lists of bars that have television sets tuned to British football games. You would type the city headings like this:

==Halifax==

==Ottawa==

==Toronto==

==Winnipeg==

==Saskatoon==

==Edmonton==

==Vancouver==

A third level heading is created by typing three equals signs on either side of the title's text.

Let’s suppose that you will subdivide the list of pubs in each city according to districts within that city. Let’s use the Greater Vancouver Area as an example. You might have tertiary headings like these:

===Downtown===

===North Shore===

===Burnaby===

and so on.

2. An embedded link (that links a word or a string of words to a website) is created by using the little symbol of the globe that is included amongst the icons near the top of the screen.

Let's suppose you wanted to provide an embedded link to the Calgary Pubcrawler website, which is http://www.pubcrawler.com/Template/R...rewerID=104011 .

You would type the URL like this http://www.pubcrawler.com/Template/R...rewerID=104011

Leave one space after the URL and type the name of the website, which is Pubcrawler – Pub/Brewery Reviews.

Using your mouse, highlight the URL and the name of the website. Then click on the symbol of the globe, and it will automatically link the two things.

Pubcrawler – Pub/Brewery Reviews will now look like Pubcrawler – Pub/Brewery Reviews.

Checking your new Wiki page

When you think you are satisfied with the text, click the “Show preview” button near the bottom of the screen. Read the version of the text that visitors to the website will see. If you notice any mistakes, go back to the text box and correct them.

Publishing your new Wiki page

When you are satisfied with the quality of your text, click the “Save page” button.

Now a link to your new Wiki page will appear on the main Canada page of the Wiki.

Finding lost Wiki page

If a link to your new Wiki page has not shown up in the relevant section of the BE Wiki, e.g., on the Canada Lifestyle page, there is a way for you to find it.

Click on the Recent Changes link that appears in the left hand margin of any page within the BE Wiki.

If your new page was in fact created and saved, a link to it will appear on the Recent Changes page.

I've noticed that the moderators (often it's Sue) clean up the Wiki pages every other day or so. If there is a "lost" Wiki page that is not showing up where it should be showing up, owing to a missing tag, the mods fix it fairly soon.

If you don't know how to fix the tag of your newly created Wiki page and want to be sure that your page doesn't slip through the cracks indefinitely, you might send the mods a private message and ask them for help.

Editing an existing Wiki page

Go to the Wiki page that you want to change.

When that page is loaded onto your screen, click on the Edit button near the top of the screen.

Make your desired changes. If you don’t know how to do so, follow the directions that have been provided for creating a new page.

Preview your changes.

It's impossible to wreck a Wiki page

Don't be afraid to dive in and start working in the Wiki section of the BE website. If you ruin a Wiki page, there always is the option of clicking on the "history" button near the top of a Wiki page. Once you're on the history page, you can see a link to the previous version of the page. You can roll back to that earlier version.

When all else fails, read the instructions

If you want instructions that are beyond the scope of this post, here is the official Help Page for the BE Wiki.

Hope that helps all of you aspiring Wiki authors.

On second thoughts, I have decided to copy the information from this post into a new Wiki article on creating a new Wiki article.

Last edited by Judy in Calgary; Aug 21st 2007 at 11:03 pm. Reason: You don't want to know.
Old Aug 26th 2007, 7:58 pm
Now on Vancouver Island

Wiki software provided warnings that the mega articles on Canadian immigration and job hunting were so long that they would take too long for some browsers to load.

Consequently I have divided the information that had been in those articles amongst several new articles, each of which addresses a sub-topic of the main topic.

However, in each case the original article still contains a list of the topics that originally were discussed in that article, along with links to the new articles that address the sub-topics.
Old Aug 29th 2007, 3:10 pm
Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah

Lorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you and the other posters very much for taking the time to provide all this information.

Lorna
Old Aug 30th 2007, 12:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

karla03 has a brilliant futurekarla03 has a brilliant futurekarla03 has a brilliant futurekarla03 has a brilliant futurekarla03 has a brilliant futurekarla03 has a brilliant future

Canadian Schooling has been added.
Fantasic Theres so much info in there. Thank you so much Judy - your a star

Karla x x x
Old Sep 2nd 2007, 6:38 am
Now on Vancouver Island

Surrey Expat has written a very useful and informative article about doing a Scouting Trip to Canada.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.