Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Why are you still here?

Why are you still here?

Old Oct 14th 2005, 10:10 am
Ambiroadious

WorldWeary will become famous soon enough
Default Why are you still here?

As a relatively new member of this board I am somewhat surprised at the amount of Canada bashing I read here. No doubt some more senior members will tell me that it is nothing new. I do have to ask though why it is that some of you continue to stay in Canada if you think things are actually better back in the UK.

So without getting into the argument yet again of which is better etc. let's just accept hypothetically that things are better in the UK. Now tell me why you are still in Canada.
Old Oct 14th 2005, 10:18 am
Class 1 Driver and Nurse

andy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Why are you still here?

Originally Posted by WorldWeary
As a relatively new member of this board I am somewhat surprised at the amount of Canada bashing I read here. No doubt some more senior members will tell me that it is nothing new. I do have to ask though why it is that some of you continue to stay in Canada if you think things are actually better back in the UK.

So without getting into the argument yet again of which is better etc. let's just accept hypothetically that things are better in the UK. Now tell me why you are still in Canada.
Because the house i can afford is here.
Because the chavs aren't here.
Because the "invisible" taxes aren't here.
Because council tax (equivilant) is fair here.
Because this isn't a police state.
Because you can better yourself without prejudice.
Because you are equal to everyone.
Because it's safer (generally)
Because it's cleaner (generally)
Because the roads aren't crowded.
and
Because the wife made me

Last edited by andy_sheila; Oct 14th 2005 at 10:37 am.
Old Oct 14th 2005, 11:20 am
Nova Scotian

BH PNP has a brilliant futureBH PNP has a brilliant futureBH PNP has a brilliant futureBH PNP has a brilliant futureBH PNP has a brilliant futureBH PNP has a brilliant futureBH PNP has a brilliant future

That’s a very good point raised by one of the newer members. It’s unfortunate that a few @#@! Heads post negative, uneducated and downright unhelpful threads on this forum. I, like many others, got to a point in the early stages of decidedly not asking the questions I needed answers to for fear of be “shot down” by certain members. Now, I tend to just be very selective with the help that I can offer potential Canadians or use the PM tool which eliminates “shared” advice.

Of course, a few of us have considered getting together for a “road trip” and personally editing particular members… (Joking!!...?...!!)

You have to remember that “each to his own”. Some like the big city, some out in the middle of nowhere, some east coast, and some west. Also, and most importantly, we ALL needed help, advice and even a shoulder to cry on at some point through the process and who better to source that information then people with shared and common interests.

The forum can only work with a broad spectrum of opinion and advice BUT to be a truly excellent source of information we must drive out the members that restrict information through negative and disruptive comments.
Old Oct 14th 2005, 11:32 am
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

Couldn't agree more. Since joining this forum the feelings of guilt about having a good job that pays well, living in a far more pleasant enivronment than I left in SE England, enjoying the local culture and generally just embracing the whole Canadian experience are overwhelming me! I seem to read a range of opinions from a proportion of posters than range from constant moaning about their lot to those that are bitter and twisted about the personal conspiracy to grind them down that all Canada appears to have!

I didnt find this forum til after I had emmigrated to Canada and for that I am glad. I think if I had, I might not be here. Which would be a shame.

Anyway why I am still here? Because I love it and want to raise a family here.

My 2c's...
AX

Last edited by Atlantic Xpat; Oct 14th 2005 at 11:35 am.
Old Oct 14th 2005, 11:32 am

Souvenir is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by andy_sheila
Because the house i can afford is here.
Because the chavs aren't here.
Because the "invisible" taxes aren't here.
Because council tax (equivilant) is fair here.
Because this isn't a police state.
Because you can better yourself without prejudice.
Because you are equal to everyone.
Because it's safer (generally)
Because it's cleaner (generally)
Because the roads aren't crowded.
and
Because the wife made me
I'm with you on nearly all of those, especially the last one. I'm not sure I agree about the police state bit, though. Unless things in the UK have changed dramatically over the last five years, I reckon I'm more regulated here. I'll have a closer look at it when I'm in Blightly over the next two weeks.
Old Oct 14th 2005, 12:44 pm
Banned

finallygotout will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat
Couldn't agree more. Since joining this forum the feelings of guilt about having a good job that pays well, living in a far more pleasant enivronment than I left in SE England, enjoying the local culture and generally just embracing the whole Canadian experience are overwhelming me! I seem to read a range of opinions from a proportion of posters than range from constant moaning about their lot to those that are bitter and twisted about the personal conspiracy to grind them down that all Canada appears to have!

I didnt find this forum til after I had emmigrated to Canada and for that I am glad. I think if I had, I might not be here. Which would be a shame.

Anyway why I am still here? Because I love it and want to raise a family here.

My 2c's...
AX

I'll have to concur with you on this, you were right on the money, and our case is similar to what you have typed here. Hope all is going well for you and the family?

The kid is in school, enjoying it, and can't wait to play in the snow, and make snowman/snowwoman
Old Oct 14th 2005, 12:49 pm

Originally Posted by finallygotout
I'll have to concur with you on this, you were right on the money, and our case is similar to what you have typed here. Hope all is going well for you and the family?

The kid is in school, enjoying it, and can't wait to play in the snow, and make snowman/snowwoman
Nooooooooooo! Don't you dare mention the "S" word until after halloween!
Old Oct 14th 2005, 1:08 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

As a relatively new member of this board I am somewhat surprised at the amount of Canada bashing I read here.
Thats the nature of discussion boards. With one or two exceptions, most of those who are regulars on this board in the build up to getting here are suddenly off enjoying there new life once they arrive, and dont come back here to report on the good stuff. Those who are disapointed, or are having problems return here to vent or to get advice. It skews the viewpoint here. Try not to let it bother you.

I too am still here cos I love it here and cant think of a better place top raise a family, and I also count my blessings that A: I have a good job here & B:didnt know of this forum when the chance to come to canada came up!

Last edited by iaink; Oct 14th 2005 at 1:12 pm.
Old Oct 14th 2005, 1:17 pm

Originally Posted by iaink
Thats the nature of discussion boards. With one or two exceptions, most of those who are regulars on this board in the build up to getting here are suddenly off enjoying there new life once they arrive, and dont come back here to report on the good stuff. Those who are disapointed, or are having problems return here to vent or to get advice. It skews the viewpoint here. Try not to let it bother you.

I too am still here cos I love it here and cant think of a better place top raise a family, and I also count my blessings that A: I have a good job here & B:didnt know of this forum when the chance to come to canada came up!
I'm certainly with you on the last bit. I'd been here nearly five years before I found BE. I'm glad I didn't know about it back in 2000. It wouldn't have made me change my plans but it would have sent the blood pressure up a few notches.
Old Oct 14th 2005, 1:17 pm
Premium Member

Tiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of light

Now tell me why you are still in Canada.
Because......quite simply.......I absolutely love it here!!

No Canada-bashing from this camp.
Old Oct 14th 2005, 3:20 pm
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tiaribbon
Because......quite simply.......I absolutely love it here!!

No Canada-bashing from this camp.
Would a single income of say $50-60k for a household ( two adults and a child ) without a mortgage ( or very little ) be sufficient in say.... London Ontario ?

Sorry....bit of a tangent but thought I would ask

Last edited by Tangram; Oct 14th 2005 at 3:33 pm.
Old Oct 14th 2005, 3:49 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

As someone who is relatively new to this board yet far from new to Canada I too find it frustrating to find so many uninformed negative comments from posters here.

I came to Canada 42 years ago as teenager with nothing but the clothes in my suitcase.

Since then I have married and raised a family, bought a house and paid for it, and am now retired.

Canada is my home and I'm proud to call myself a Canadian and a grampa.

Cheers
Steve
Attached Thumbnails Why are you still here?-abi1.jpg  
Old Oct 14th 2005, 3:55 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tangram
Would a single income of say $50-60k for a household ( two adults and a child ) without a mortgage ( or very little ) be sufficient in say.... London Ontario ?

Sorry....bit of a tangent but thought I would ask
I think so, but better to be at the top end of the range, $50k might be a bit tight.

If you buy some oppulent palace with high property taxes and large heating bills, and drive round in an real gas guzzler with high insurance it might be a struggle too.

I dont earn a lot more than that and my mortgage takes about 7 or 8k a year out of my net income, but at least I dont have car payments right now.

Hangman, Beautiful picture...I've come over all broody, cant wait for January and our second girl to arrive

Its a bit unfair though to label someones personal experiences as uninformed I think, they are just different experiences to yours or mine. Bad things can happen to new immigrants here unfortunatly, and its good for people to know that. Doesnt mean it will happen, and people have to make there own minds up based on balanced research.

Last edited by iaink; Oct 14th 2005 at 4:00 pm.
Old Oct 14th 2005, 3:59 pm

Originally Posted by Hangman
As someone who is relatively new to this board yet far from new to Canada I too find it frustrating to find so many uninformed negative comments from posters here.

I came to Canada 42 years ago as teenager with nothing but the clothes in my suitcase.

Since then I have married and raised a family, bought a house and paid for it, and am now retired.

Canada is my home and I'm proud to call myself a Canadian and a grampa.

Cheers
Steve

Aaaaaaaw. Cute. Why are you trying to strangle it?
Old Oct 14th 2005, 4:04 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Souvenir
Aaaaaaaw. Cute.
Thanks I think she is very cute but I'm biased.
Originally Posted by Souvenir
Why are you trying to strangle it?
You weren't supposed to notice THAT.

It's a she, but I guess I didn't specify that.

Cheers
Steve

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.