Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Why are people so defensive about Canada ?

Why are people so defensive about Canada ?

Old Jan 30th 2009, 3:55 pm
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Why are people so defensive about Canada ?

PG Tips is now the official recipient of the "Beating a Dead horse" award.

Enough already!
Old Jan 30th 2009, 3:57 pm

pgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Iain Mc
I'll chip in my response to the original question, despite arriving somewhat late to the party.

1. It's not about Canada.

Read any of the forums here (especially the moving back to the UK one!) and you'll find people falling over themselves to justify their decisions by pinning them onto the merits (or otherwise) of the country they are headed to/vacating.

The most vociferous stuff is all about self-validation, as previous comments have suggested. There's little surprising in that, emigrating is just about the biggest upheaval one can put oneself through.

2. This is the internet. If a large percentage of human communication is non-verbal / non-written word, you're not likely to catch very many subtleties or nuances in a forum post. Things that would pass off just fine down the pub can come across as brash and provocative.

3a. It's also the case that we have single forums here for each of several large and diverse nations; simplistic postings about how "rubbish" country x is compared to country y, or any local opinion masquerading as universal fact (so very frequent) are usually quite rightly derided.

3b. No-one ever likes to admit to a cock-up, it's easier to blame the country.

After seeing many posts of the 3a, 3b ilk, regular forum posters are often quick to the boil. This may well come across as defensive and, if I am an offender, I resolve to try harder next time.

I agree here. Good points !!
Old Jan 30th 2009, 4:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

PaulandNikki has much to be proud ofPaulandNikki has much to be proud ofPaulandNikki has much to be proud ofPaulandNikki has much to be proud ofPaulandNikki has much to be proud ofPaulandNikki has much to be proud ofPaulandNikki has much to be proud ofPaulandNikki has much to be proud ofPaulandNikki has much to be proud ofPaulandNikki has much to be proud ofPaulandNikki has much to be proud of

Meh, it's OK here.
Old Jan 30th 2009, 4:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

fuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by PaulandNikki
Meh, it's OK here.
Despite the earthquake
Old Jan 30th 2009, 4:42 pm
Account Closed

DaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond repute

Attached Thumbnails Why are people so defensive about Canada ?-ripthread.bmp  
Old Jan 30th 2009, 5:36 pm
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

I'm told that being one of the permanent members of the UN Security Council (along with the US, Russia, China and France) makes the UK a world power. They're joking, right! The world's five biggest arms dealers in charge of security. The UK is often jokingly referred to as the 51st State. The UK government will always follow the US.[/QUOTE]

I'm proud of the fact that Britain has a voice on the international stage and unlike Canada it's heard.

I think you'll find that on issues such as the environment political views between Britain and the US differ greatly. They have been allies in many wars but I don't recall Britain invading Panama or fighting in Vietnam. Similarly Britain didn't need the US in The Falklands.

I always fealt sorry for Canadians because they have more interest in the US election than their own and they don't get to vote. Canada is the true 51st state, although the United States will never accept it because they believe Canada harbours the world's terrorists hense why they have tight border controls.

All that being said, I'm still looking forward to moving to Canada even though politically it is insignificant on the world stage it has lots of other merits.

Last edited by JamesM; Jan 30th 2009 at 5:39 pm. Reason: editing
Old Jan 30th 2009, 5:38 pm
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iaink
PG Tips is now the official recipient of the "Beating a Dead horse" award.

http://thegrandnarrative.files.wordp...dead-horse.gif

Enough already!
Isn't it flogging =)?
Old Jan 30th 2009, 5:43 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by James Martindale
I'm told that being one of the permanent members of the UN Security Council (along with the US, Russia, China and France) makes the UK a world power. They're joking, right! The world's five biggest arms dealers in charge of security. The UK is often jokingly referred to as the 51st State. The UK government will always follow the US
I'm proud of the fact that Britain has a voice on the international stage and unlike Canada it's heard.

I think you'll find that on issues such as the environment political views between Britain and the US differ greatly. They have been allies in many wars but I don't recall Britain invading Panama or fighting in Vietnam. Similarly Britain didn't need the US in The Falklands.

I always fealt sorry for Canadians because they have more interest in the US election than their own and they don't get to vote. Canada is the true 51st state, although the United States will never accept it because they believe Canada harbours the world's terrorists hense why they have tight border controls.

All that being said, I'm still looking forward to moving to Canada even though politically it is insignificant on the world stage it has lots of other merits.
Iraq. WMDs. Jean Chretien.
Old Jan 30th 2009, 5:49 pm
Dive Bar Drunk

Originally Posted by dbd33
Iraq. WMDs. Jean Chretien.
3 things doesn't mean Britain will "always" side with the US but I think it's safe to assume that on various issues such as oil they are naturally aligned.
Old Jan 30th 2009, 5:51 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

3 things doesn't mean Britain will "always" side with the US but I think it's safe to assume that on various issues such as oil they are naturally aligned.
I think the Iraq war shows that Britain under Labour is more of a lickspittle running dog lackey of the US than is Canada under the Liberals.
Old Jan 30th 2009, 5:59 pm
Dive Bar Drunk

I think the Iraq war shows that Britain under Labour is more of a lickspittle running dog lackey of the US than is Canada under the Liberals.
Valid point, but Canada knows it doesn't have to take part in these things because Uncle Sam will look after it anyway hense why the military spending in Canada has drastically declined over the last two/three decades.
Old Jan 30th 2009, 6:05 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Valid point, but Canada knows it doesn't have to take part in these things because Uncle Sam will look after it anyway hense why the military spending in Canada has drastically declined over the last two/three decades.
So how did the USA look after Canada's interest by invading Iraq?
Old Jan 30th 2009, 6:07 pm

Souvenir is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm told that being one of the permanent members of the UN Security Council (along with the US, Russia, China and France) makes the UK a world power. They're joking, right! The world's five biggest arms dealers in charge of security. The UK is often jokingly referred to as the 51st State. The UK government will always follow the US.

All that being said, I'm still looking forward to moving to Canada even though politically it is insignificant on the world stage it has lots of other merits.[/QUOTE]

I think history will show that the UK relied on the USA quite a bit during the Falklands conflict. And Chile.
Old Jan 30th 2009, 6:08 pm

Souvenir is an unknown quantity at this point

Have you turned into Dave Spart?
Old Jan 30th 2009, 6:10 pm
Just Joined

chris gipp will become famous soon enoughchris gipp will become famous soon enough

Hi
I am English and proud of it, I live here and work. I respect Canada and it is my home now.
But I will always be English and if circumstance change I would love to return.
I am gratefully for all the chances that my country gave to me in Education, travel and so much more. Without that help I wouldn't be where I am now.
All the people who like to run home down, should just remember what Brition gave to them, they may have found themselves stuck in a place which wasn't quite has helpful as home. In a country with no heathl care ,limit education few rights. It may not be perfect but just look around and travel to places like Burma etc.
But now Canada is my Home and I hope to be a good citizen but my heart will always call England home.
Call me sentimental or proud but I am English.
Chris

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.