Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Why are people so defensive about Canada ?

Why are people so defensive about Canada ?

Old Jan 30th 2009, 2:36 pm
Forum Regular

Summer-Caitlin is just really niceSummer-Caitlin is just really niceSummer-Caitlin is just really niceSummer-Caitlin is just really niceSummer-Caitlin is just really niceSummer-Caitlin is just really niceSummer-Caitlin is just really niceSummer-Caitlin is just really niceSummer-Caitlin is just really niceSummer-Caitlin is just really nice
Default Re: Why are people so defensive about Canada ?

Originally Posted by elfman
how long did you live in Britain? From what age?

I have lived in Britain a good number of years now. I was born here, immigrated to Australia when I was 14 months old, came back when I was 3, went back to Oz, when I was 4, came back when I was 5. Stayed here until I was 8, went to Oz until I was 13, came back and stayed until I was 15 and moved to Malta at that point. Stayed there until I was 18 and have been back here ever since.

Very complicated I know, but my parents couldn't settle. My mum is Australian and spent the most of her life there, all her family still live there. My dad on the other hand was born here and tried to settle in both places!
Old Jan 30th 2009, 2:45 pm
A lion in your lap

elfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Summer-Caitlin
I have lived in Britain a good number of years now. I was born here, immigrated to Australia when I was 14 months old, came back when I was 3, went back to Oz, when I was 4, came back when I was 5. Stayed here until I was 8, went to Oz until I was 13, came back and stayed until I was 15 and moved to Malta at that point. Stayed there until I was 18 and have been back here ever since.

Very complicated I know, but my parents couldn't settle. My mum is Australian and spent the most of her life there, all her family still live there. My dad on the other hand was born here and tried to settle in both places!
so did you and your family ever take advantage of the free (at the point of delivery) education and haelthcare? Did you learn to read, basic maths, etc, in a UK primary school? There are a great many countries that you could have grown up in where this kind of stuff is not available to the majority of the population. Add to that for all the UK's problems it is a stable, peaceful, fucntioning democracy with a safety net for the less fortunate in society, features which are again absent in huges swathes of the world - so the question might be: in addition to this, what would you like Britain to have done for you?
Old Jan 30th 2009, 2:46 pm

Souvenir is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by iaink
I know for a fact my wife would not agree either. In the 7 years she was teaching in the far east she said she didnt meet a single englishman she didnt think was a complete arse and too full of themselves by half, a view she said was shared by the majority of other non British ESL teachers there...

She very nearly didnt date me simply on the grounds I was English.

Only a one person poll...just throwing it out there
I'm inclined to agree with your missus. Over the years, I've met quite a few Brit expats in the Middle East and Asia. I can't think of one that didn't come across as a tosser. Colonial types.

The ones I've met in North America are very different.
Old Jan 30th 2009, 2:49 pm
Banned

startwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pgtips
I have read through many post on this website and also contributed to many.
One thing that strikes me is how defensive those Brits who have moved to Canada have become about Canada. If anybody says anything that contradicts their belief of the Canadian Utopia they have moved to they are beaten down, ridiculed, post deleted, called names like troll. Where has that Brit sense of humour gone, that British pride.

Brits make their homes all over the world and one thing the world likes about Brits is their Britishness and pride.

Reading through some post I am starting to think Canada is kinda like a 'Stepford Wives' kind of society. Anybody who does not follow the strict rules and has any other opinion is to be exterminated.

Why is it that the Brits who have emigrated to other parts of the world are still proud to be british yet the ones who have moved to Canada slag Britain off at the nearest opportunity ?
I'm not going to comment on the main content of this because it's pointless, but I will say that I doubt the rest of the world likes brits for their Britishness and pride. Maybe 40 years ago, but not now. I for one cringe at Brits attitudes when they travel, the materialistic attitude, the binge drinking, the trashing of most tourist venues. And I see little pride in being British anymore.
Old Jan 30th 2009, 2:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

stepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond repute

I really don't get this thread. Discussion of respecting the country we may have lived in previously or what did such and such a country ever do for me?

The people that mainly frequent this forum are here because they are looking forward to moving to Canada or on the whole quite enjoy it here. I don't think it's a big love-in for Canada but naturally if people are enjoying their time here then they aren't going to attack it, now are they? The moving back to the UK forum is the place for that!

I don't look at it in terms of respecting Britain. It's the place I spent my first forty years in and I definitely miss it. Respect it? I don't know what that means. Respect what exactly? It's a decent enough place with good and bad things about it. What did it do for me? I've no idea. Was it supposed to do anything? I liked living there and I felt safe enough. I quite like living here and likewise feel safe enough but homesickness (just can't shake it off!)takes the shine off of it.

We're all individuals that make decisions based on hoping to improve our lot in life and I don't see that as being disloyal or anything really.
Old Jan 30th 2009, 2:52 pm
Forum Regular

Summer-Caitlin is just really niceSummer-Caitlin is just really niceSummer-Caitlin is just really niceSummer-Caitlin is just really niceSummer-Caitlin is just really niceSummer-Caitlin is just really niceSummer-Caitlin is just really niceSummer-Caitlin is just really niceSummer-Caitlin is just really niceSummer-Caitlin is just really nice

Originally Posted by elfman
so did you and your family ever take advantage of the free (at the point of delivery) education and haelthcare? Did you learn to read, basic maths, etc, in a UK primary school? There are a great many countries that you could have grown up in where this kind of stuff is not available to the majority of the population. Add to that for all the UK's problems it is a stable, peaceful, fucntioning democracy with a safety net for the less fortunate in society, features which are again absent in huges swathes of the world - so the question might be: in addition to this, what would you like Britain to have done for you?
Yes, we did take advantage of that both in the UK and Australia. My primary school years were mainly in Australia really but I get your point, I did do some high school here. As for College, I tried to go to College here and applied for a grant, but they stated that due to my past (moving about so much) I posed a risk of fleeing the country with the funds I would be provided and they declined any monetary help. So that is one thing I wished they would have done for me, it would have started me out on a different foot. I saw dozens of students lie on their application, not declaring jobs they had for income, only to be given thousands of pounds for their education. I struggled to pay for mine while working part time and ended up giving up as I couldn't afford it. All my education after that time was funded by me, not the government!!!
Old Jan 30th 2009, 3:07 pm
Forum Regular

riosangel is a jewel in the roughriosangel is a jewel in the roughriosangel is a jewel in the roughriosangel is a jewel in the rough

Brits make their homes all over the world and one thing the world likes about Brits is their Britishness and pride.

I think people overseas do like the britishness about people from the UK, whatever that means but their pride? I don't know anyone who is really proud to be British anymore, people laugh at the British, we have become a dumping ground with not a lot to be proud of. The only people I see who are proud to be British are drunken yobs, even most of the immigrants are going back to the country they came from.
Old Jan 30th 2009, 3:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

fuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iaink
Hmm, talk about painting with extremely broad strokes. So many wild generalisations in one post its hard to take it seriously.

I am still proud to be British, but also prepared to defend Canada from wild generalisations, or being cast in a particular light on the basis of one persons experience when I know many people who have experienced the opposite. Some people leave the UK for Canada because they dont like what the UK has become, so you would not expect them to be pro UK. Others come because of what Canada offers, others yet to be with canadian spouses. Wild generalizations in my opinion just make people look narrow minded.

The truth is that Canada is so vast that there is always the potential for wildly different immigration experiences, and that makes for conflicting opinions of the place. Generalisations dont work, and you couldnt be more wrong about the "Stepford Wives", there are posters here who present there views from both the pro and con side of the fence, and personally I think this is a pretty tolerant and civil forum and will do my best to keep it that way.

As for the last part of your post, you obviously need to spend more time in the Oz forum..no shortage of people prepared to rip into the motherland there!

No post gets deleted because its anti Canada, post are deleted for trolling, or if they are going to adversely affect the relatively friendly and helpful nature of this forum. Trouble makers here just to start arguments wont be tollerated for long though.
As he said
Old Jan 30th 2009, 3:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

fuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond repute

Have you forgotten about the things the UK has done for you and your family, including past generations. Maybe a lot have you have forgotten about Britains role in the second world war. How history is soon forgotten

You don't have to like the UK to respect its standing in the world.
I certainly haven't forgotten Britain's role in the second world war. However I haven't forgotten Canada's role either My Canadian father volunteered at the age of 18 to fight in the Canadian Forces. He met my mother while on service in the UK. I have both Canadian and British Citizenship. I lived all my life in England until August 2007 when we moved to Vancouver Island.

If I wish to comment on the current state of the UK then I most certainly will. Unfortunately it is NOT the country it was 20 years ago

As a matter of interest what exactly do you mean by "respecting" the UK?
Old Jan 30th 2009, 3:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

triumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond repute

Why is a guy living in the Caribbean asking about posts on a Canadian forum.

The OP reminds of this kind of question:

"So, when did you stop beating your wife?"

Nothong good can come of answering or denying a question like that!

The premise, context and phrasing of the question are wrong.
Old Jan 30th 2009, 3:46 pm

pgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fuschiagirl

As a matter of interest what exactly do you mean by "respecting" the UK?
Not slagging off the place, also appreciating the step up the ladder the country has provided for you. Think back and I am sure the UK has done a lot to improve your lot, and made it easier for you to live in different places around the world.
Old Jan 30th 2009, 3:49 pm

pgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by triumphguy
Why is a guy living in the Caribbean asking about posts on a Canadian forum.

The OP reminds of this kind of question:

"So, when did you stop beating your wife?"

Nothong good can come of answering or denying a question like that!

The premise, context and phrasing of the question are wrong.
Many non Canadians post here, thats why its called an internet forum. Thats how you get a broad range of views and fair discussion.

I live between the Caribbean and Britain, but travel all over the world and have been to Canada on several occassions.
Old Jan 30th 2009, 3:51 pm
Account Closed

DaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond repute

Have you forgotten about the things the UK has done for you and your family, including past generations. Maybe a lot have you have forgotten about Britains role in the second world war. How history is soon forgotten

You don't have to like the UK to respect its standing in the world.
What has the UK done for me. Nothing much personally. I've rarely had cause to claim benefits, and certainly know I've taken less of this than I've pain into NI contributions. I've rarely needed to see a doctor or to use the NHS, and have paid taxes (aka licence fees) to own a car and a TV, and worked hard to earn enough money to live on yet see a family down the street with 5 kids and neither parent ever working get anything they want from Social Security.

I agree I don't have to like the UK, but I do like it. Just not enough to move back there by choice. As for respecting the UK's standing in the world, what standing. It's seen as a soft touch for welfare, it's a magnet for criminals from the newer countries which have joined the EU, and the UK hasn't been a world power for years.

I'm told that being one of the permanent members of the UN Security Council (along with the US, Russia, China and France) makes the UK a world power. They're joking, right! The world's five biggest arms dealers in charge of security. The UK is often jokingly referred to as the 51st State. The UK government will always follow the US.
Old Jan 30th 2009, 3:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

Iain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond repute

I'll chip in my response to the original question, despite arriving somewhat late to the party.

1. It's not about Canada.

Read any of the forums here (especially the moving back to the UK one!) and you'll find people falling over themselves to justify their decisions by pinning them onto the merits (or otherwise) of the country they are headed to/vacating.

The most vociferous stuff is all about self-validation, as previous comments have suggested. There's little surprising in that, emigrating is just about the biggest upheaval one can put oneself through.

2. This is the internet. If a large percentage of human communication is non-verbal / non-written word, you're not likely to catch very many subtleties or nuances in a forum post. Things that would pass off just fine down the pub can come across as brash and provocative.

3a. It's also the case that we have single forums here for each of several large and diverse nations; simplistic postings about how "rubbish" country x is compared to country y, or any local opinion masquerading as universal fact (so very frequent) are usually quite rightly derided.

3b. No-one ever likes to admit to a cock-up, it's easier to blame the country.

After seeing many posts of the 3a, 3b ilk, regular forum posters are often quick to the boil. This may well come across as defensive and, if I am an offender, I resolve to try harder next time.

Old Jan 30th 2009, 3:53 pm
Account Closed

DaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond repute

Many non Canadians post here, thats why its called an internet forum. Thats how you get a broad range of views and fair discussion.

I live between the Caribbean and Britain, but travel all over the world and have been to Canada on several occassions.
Are you looking at immigrating to Canada? Most of the questions have probably already been answered if you use the search function.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.