Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Why are people so defensive about Canada ?

Why are people so defensive about Canada ?

Old Jan 30th 2009, 1:57 pm

pgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Why are people so defensive about Canada ?

Originally Posted by triumphguy
What's Rodney Bay?
Rodney Bay in St Lucia is where I have my Caribbean home.
It has become quite an international community over the last few years,
and one of the secondary international school is run by Canadians and follows a Canadian syllabus. There is a beautiful marina, beach, golfing and scenery.
It is also the hub of all the nightlife, restaurants and hotels in the north of the island. My neighbours consist of locals, Brits, Canadians, Swedes, French and loads more. A great place for holidaying and relaxation.
Old Jan 30th 2009, 1:57 pm
Forum Regular

Summer-Caitlin is just really niceSummer-Caitlin is just really niceSummer-Caitlin is just really niceSummer-Caitlin is just really niceSummer-Caitlin is just really niceSummer-Caitlin is just really niceSummer-Caitlin is just really niceSummer-Caitlin is just really niceSummer-Caitlin is just really niceSummer-Caitlin is just really nice

Originally Posted by pgtips
This is the part I don't get, you guys are still British whether you like it or not.
Canada is your adopted country, and ironically the Queen is still head of your state. In troubled times, which embassy will you run to ? The British of course, because they will bail you out because you are a British citizen.
If Canada and Britain were at war you would soon see how Canadian you were. Love your adopted country, but still have respect for where you came from, because for a lot of people if it were not for England they would not have the financial means and support to set up home elsewhere around the world. Never burn your bridges unnessercarily.

Both Britain and Canada have good and bad points.
While I see your point about us all still being British, I would only run to the British embassy, IF in troubled times, because I had to, not because I choose to. I was born in Britain, but why should I respect a country that I feel I doesn't offer me anything? That's like saying you must respect your parents, as they are your parents. Does it not matter how they treat you?
I don't feel there is a mutual respect here. BTW, I live in Scotland, so as you have said in your post above "if it were not for England" ...does this mean I can say negative things then?
So yes I am British, I don't particularly like or dislike it but why do I have to respect it when I am only British purely by circumstance?
Old Jan 30th 2009, 2:02 pm

Souvenir is an unknown quantity at this point

This is the part I don't get, you guys are still British whether you like it or not.
Canada is your adopted country, and ironically the Queen is still head of your state. In troubled times, which embassy will you run to ? The British of course, because they will bail you out because you are a British citizen.
If Canada and Britain were at war you would soon see how Canadian you were. Love your adopted country, but still have respect for where you came from, because for a lot of people if it were not for England they would not have the financial means and support to set up home elsewhere around the world. Never burn your bridges unnessercarily.

The Queen is head of state in name only. The UK has had no say in the running of Canada for quite a long time now. The link persists for no reason that is obvious to me. Printing costs, possibly.

Canada is our adoptive country. You don't take citizenship: you are granted it.

I can imagine few scenarios less likely than Canada and the UK going to war any time soon.

If you are a dual Canadian-British citizen and get into deep shit in Canada, the UK High Commission or consulates will do zip to bale you out. Incidentally, read the inside back page of your Canadian passport. That tells you what to do if you get into problems overseas and there is no Canadian diplomatic presence (the Aussies and Kiwis would probably help, too, but that's not official).
Old Jan 30th 2009, 2:07 pm

pgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Summer-Caitlin
While I see your point about us all still being British, I would only run to the British embassy, IF in troubled times, because I had to, not because I choose to. I was born in Britain, but why should I respect a country that I feel I doesn't offer me anything? That's like saying you must respect your parents, as they are your parents. Does it not matter how they treat you?
I don't feel there is a mutual respect here. BTW, I live in Scotland, so as you have said in your post above "if it were not for England" ...does this mean I can say negative things then?
So yes I am British, I don't particularly like or dislike it but why do I have to respect it when I am only British purely by circumstance?
Have you forgotten about the things the UK has done for you and your family, including past generations. Maybe a lot have you have forgotten about Britains role in the second world war. How history is soon forgotten

You don't have to like the UK to respect its standing in the world.
Old Jan 30th 2009, 2:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

flashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond repute

If you're a pensioner born in the UK and retired in Canada your are discriminated against because of the frozen pension situation. So if the UK doesn't treat it's citizens with respect then recipricating is understandable.
Old Jan 30th 2009, 2:12 pm

Originally Posted by Souvenir
The Queen is head of state in name only. The UK has had no say in the running of Canada for quite a long time now. The link persists for no reason that is obvious to me. Printing costs, possibly.

Canada is our adoptive country. You don't take citizenship: you are granted it.I can imagine few scenarios less likely than Canada and the UK going to war any time soon.

If you are a dual Canadian-British citizen and get into deep shit in Canada, the UK High Commission or consulates will do zip to bale you out. Incidentally, read the inside back page of your Canadian passport. That tells you what to do if you get into problems overseas and there is no Canadian diplomatic presence (the Aussies and Kiwis would probably help, too, but that's not official).
Canada is your adoptive country, but your blood is still British, that you cannot change. He Ho Fi Fum, I smell the blood of an Englishman. !!!
Old Jan 30th 2009, 2:16 pm

Originally Posted by flashman
If you're a pensioner born in the UK and retired in Canada your are discriminated against because of the frozen pension situation. So if the UK doesn't treat it's citizens with respect then recipricating is understandable.
I hear you, but has'nt the pensioner benefitted from the UK's blessings up until retirement ? I agree that you should be allowed to recieve you pension anywhere in the world you choose.

Not really a reason to shoot the country down though.
Old Jan 30th 2009, 2:17 pm
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Love your adopted country, but still have respect for where you came from, because for a lot of people if it were not for England they would not have the financial means and support to set up home elsewhere around the world. Never burn your bridges unnessercarily.

The fundamental problem with your thinking here is the belief that respect is somehow automatic. In my belief its earned. Some people have respect for the UK based on there experience there, some have none. Canada has earned my respect. My wife is Canadian, my kids are Canadian born, I chose to become a canadian citizen, I travel on a Canadian Passport... Where I was born is just an accident of fate.

As Souv points out, as a dual citizen, the UK will do nothing to help you in Canada, and in the extremely unlikey event of a conflict, what I think would have nothing to do with it, the Canadian state would decide on my fate as it did with Japanese canadians in WW2 I expect. Given my list of canadian connections listed above, I doubt very much I would come down on the UKs side anyway.

Your views are valid, but so are everyone elses. Dont assume that just cos you believe something that everyone else would and should see it the same way.

Last edited by iaink; Jan 30th 2009 at 2:20 pm.
Old Jan 30th 2009, 2:18 pm
Forum Regular

Summer-Caitlin is just really niceSummer-Caitlin is just really niceSummer-Caitlin is just really niceSummer-Caitlin is just really niceSummer-Caitlin is just really niceSummer-Caitlin is just really niceSummer-Caitlin is just really niceSummer-Caitlin is just really niceSummer-Caitlin is just really niceSummer-Caitlin is just really nice

Have you forgotten about the things the UK has done for you and your family, including past generations. Maybe a lot have you have forgotten about Britains role in the second world war. How history is soon forgotten

You don't have to like the UK to respect its standing in the world.
Okay...please tell me what the UK has done for me and my family specifically. You don't know anything about my family or where they come from... I have an Italian heritage so what the UK has done for me or my family has really passed me by I'm afraid. I am interested in what Britain has done for me... as the song goes "What have you done for me lately?"
If this is just going to develop into a history lesson about what Britain did in the second world war well then I am out. I respect any country that fought in that war, but that is besides the point.

I do respect certain aspects of Britain, but how far are you expecting me to go back?
Old Jan 30th 2009, 2:22 pm
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

I hear you, but has'nt the pensioner benefitted from the UK's blessings up until retirement ? I agree that you should be allowed to recieve you pension anywhere in the world you choose.

Not really a reason to shoot the country down though.
You are missing the point. Respect is earned. Why respect a country that will not treat canadian expats the same as say US expats, or dare I say Carribean state residents. Its just another straw on the camels back.

You've made your point regarding repecting the motherland, but many here dont agree it seems and repeating it ad nauseum isnt going to change anyones mind.
Old Jan 30th 2009, 2:29 pm
A lion in your lap

elfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Summer-Caitlin
Okay...please tell me what the UK has done for me and my family specifically. You don't know anything about my family or where they come from... I have an Italian heritage so what the UK has done for me or my family has really passed me by I'm afraid. I am interested in what Britain has done for me... as the song goes "What have you done for me lately?"
If this is just going to develop into a history lesson about what Britain did in the second world war well then I am out. I respect any country that fought in that war, but that is besides the point.

I do respect certain aspects of Britain, but how far are you expecting me to go back?
how long did you live in Britain? From what age?

Souvenir is an unknown quantity at this point

Canada is your adoptive country, but your blood is still British, that you cannot change. He Ho Fi Fum, I smell the blood of an Englishman. !!!
What on earth has my body chemistry got to do with anything concerning my identity? I was born in England, yes, but I'm half Scot. According to my blood type, I tend to the Scot side. A serious analysis of my DNA would probably show me to be closer to Newfs and Nova Scotians than to my "native" Sussex.
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute

One thing that strikes me is how defensive those Brits who have moved to Canada have become about Canada. If anybody says anything that contradicts their belief of the Canadian Utopia they have moved to they are beaten down, ridiculed, post deleted, called names like troll. Where has that Brit sense of humour gone, that British pride.

Brits make their homes all over the world and one thing the world likes about Brits is their Britishness and pride.
Are you sure? I'm not so convinced.

Different people are at different stages of their love affair with Canada - I think it's a simple as that. So the opinions they offer reflect that. Some are 'newlyweds' and finding their feet and marvelling at all the new stuff to do and see and get used to. Others at the stage of having either learned to love or tolerate, or hate their adopted home. And others still are about to file the divorce papers.

I'm not sure that I have "British pride" or that it's relevant. I can equally rave or slag off either country depending on the topic or my mood.

And for the record, I think this section of the forum is generally quite mild and helpful. The expression "godzoners" is not used on the Oz forum for nothing

Occasionally, the odd person gets a bit heated under the collar. I just step back and don't comment. We often have no idea really how or why they voice their opinions in the way they do - they are entitled to be as zealous as they wish. (I've only ever got steamingly cross with one other poster and I put that down to the fact that he was simply a stupid person with limited experiences and abilities to deal with life . I'm not particularly proud of my reaction, but he pushed all my buttons. It happens.)

Live and let live - in any country.

Peace man
Old Jan 30th 2009, 2:31 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iaink
Your views are valid, but so are everyone elses. Dont assume that just cos you believe something that everyone else would and should see it the same way.
And that is the crux of this whole thread.
Old Jan 30th 2009, 2:32 pm
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

Originally Posted by ann m
Are you sure? I'm not so convinced.
I know for a fact my wife would not agree either. In the 7 years she was teaching in the far east she said she didnt meet a single englishman she didnt think was a complete arse and too full of themselves by half, a view she said was shared by the majority of other non British ESL teachers there...

She very nearly didnt date me simply on the grounds I was English.

Only a one person poll...just throwing it out there

Last edited by iaink; Jan 30th 2009 at 2:34 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.