Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Why are people so defensive about Canada ?

Why are people so defensive about Canada ?

Old Jan 31st 2009, 7:31 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Why are people so defensive about Canada ?

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
I don't disagree with you. You seem to be mixing up my opinions with dbd33's, always a dangerous assumption (though often correct). You, OTOH, are confusing Canadian identity with symbols of identity.

Not so much mixing opinions up, more using your quote to make my overal point.

I don't think symbols of identity can be totally separated from actual identity. They came from somewhere. That 'somewhere' may have morphed but there's still a link.
Old Jan 31st 2009, 7:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

flashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by blackcomb1
Mind you our dry humour is not that funny and would not be easy to understand, I feel.
Plus it tends to include sarcastic put downs which can be insulting.
Old Jan 31st 2009, 7:35 pm
Banned

blackcomb1 is a jewel in the roughblackcomb1 is a jewel in the roughblackcomb1 is a jewel in the roughblackcomb1 is a jewel in the roughblackcomb1 is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by flashman
Plus it tends to include sarcastic put downs which can be insulting.
Yes I was going to post that, and then I remembered this guy who got on my nerves over here as he was the worst for sarcasm, over the top in fact, it annoys me let alone any Canadians. He is from Nelson region born and raised, but European roots.
Old Jan 31st 2009, 9:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

triumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
Is there a more vapid celebrity in all of the UK than Ben Mulrooney?
Sharon Osborne?
Old Jan 31st 2009, 10:31 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by triumphguy
Sharon Osborne?
More of a star in America and indeed Canada than the UK, shirley?
Old Feb 1st 2009, 12:02 am

dboy is an unknown quantity at this point

My god i've got a headache and i think i'm having an identify crisis
Old Feb 1st 2009, 1:54 am
BE Enthusiast

nooka is a glorious beacon of lightnooka is a glorious beacon of lightnooka is a glorious beacon of lightnooka is a glorious beacon of lightnooka is a glorious beacon of lightnooka is a glorious beacon of lightnooka is a glorious beacon of lightnooka is a glorious beacon of lightnooka is a glorious beacon of lightnooka is a glorious beacon of lightnooka is a glorious beacon of light

Canada seems very different to me that the States, but that might be more to do with the difference between the East Coast and the West Coast, and also big city to small town.

I can't stand people who want to emigrate because "England has gone to the dogs because of all the immigrants" and sadly there are a fair representation here from time to time. But otherwise I don't see why it should be a problem to like the country you have decided to live in.

One of the significant differences to some other countries with ex-pat groups is that most people here are coming for the long term. They are expecting to educate their children in local school, take local jobs and become part of local communities. So their experience is that of someone moving to Canada, and living a Canadian lifestyle. Whereas those in Dubai, or Hong Kong etc often move to an ex-pat community and fully expect to move back to the UK, or on to the next place. They send their children to international or private schools, or to boarding school in the UK, an their friends tend to be other ex-pats. Often they then become more British than they would otherwise have been. Personally I have found this very grating.

I also wonder whether it is easier to naturalise here because Canadians (maybe only in BC, or possibly only in Kamloops) are very welcoming?

Having said that I also like England, and maybe one day will return (hopefully not too soon, as we are only just getting over the moves!). I don't feel I "owe England respect" but I have no problem in saying I am English, an no wish to bad-mouth life there. My life was quite happy, and my family are perfectly happy there too. I think it is a pretty good place to be born and brought up in, and I am aware that I was fortunate to have been born me. I just don't get the concept of "Britain" being something to be grateful for. Many people in the world have done good and bad things, and those that were my ancestors I feel some ownership of, but "Britain" is not a person, so how can it be respected?
Old Feb 1st 2009, 2:17 am
BE Forum Addict

johnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by flashman

There wasn't any "United States" then either because they still had to fight the civil war in 1861.
The United States became a nation in 1781 when the first 13 states/colonies ratified the Articles of Confederation after a rebellion against the British a few years previous. Britain acknowledged the United States as an independent nation in 1783 in accordance with the Treaty of Paris (which formally ended the revolutionary war between Great Britain and the US).

Last edited by johnh009; Feb 1st 2009 at 2:33 am.
Old Feb 1st 2009, 3:03 am
BE Forum Addict

clynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to behold

Simon Cowell, Ant and Dec, Jordan, Jade Goody, Amy Winhouse.
Old Feb 1st 2009, 3:30 am
BE Forum Addict

johnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to behold

Robbie Williams. The whole country comes to a standstill when he is on the box.
Old Feb 1st 2009, 4:42 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by pgtips
It is mainly on the canadian forum though that we seem to have this bash anything British mentality, and I just can't understand it.
Maybe it is the Canadian obsession with conformity that is rubbing off?
Old Feb 1st 2009, 4:50 am
BE Enthusiast

Mistress Miggins has a reputation beyond reputeMistress Miggins has a reputation beyond reputeMistress Miggins has a reputation beyond reputeMistress Miggins has a reputation beyond reputeMistress Miggins has a reputation beyond reputeMistress Miggins has a reputation beyond reputeMistress Miggins has a reputation beyond reputeMistress Miggins has a reputation beyond reputeMistress Miggins has a reputation beyond reputeMistress Miggins has a reputation beyond reputeMistress Miggins has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by johnh009
Robbie Williams. The whole country comes to a standstill when he is on the box.

Well that's because about half of us are thinking about what we do to him given a chance, and then if statistics are anything to go by quite a few of the other half are thinking the same too
Old Feb 1st 2009, 4:59 am
BE Forum Addict

burton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mistress Miggins
Well that's because about half of us are thinking about what we do to him given a chance, and then if statistics are anything to go by quite a few of the other half are thinking the same too
My sentiments exactly
Old Feb 1st 2009, 5:20 am
Account Closed

DaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pgtips
it is mainly on the canadian forum though that we seem to have this bash anything British mentality, and I just can't understand it.
I understand it completely. Some are self-justifying their decision, others do it because Freedom of Speech allows them to do so. Yet more bash England because their experiences have given them good reason to.

Personally, I got fed up of seeing work-shy people making more a month on welfare in the UK than I was taking home working 48hrs a week as a single parent. Why should I or anyone else be happy that the UK has been the focus point of a large percentage of illegal immigrants in Europe.

Whatever happened to the planeload of Afghani's who were 'hijacked' to get asylum in the UK because they were afraid of the Taliban. The Taliban is out of power now and Canadian and British soldiers are dying to help the Afghan's have a better quality of life. Are these 'hijacked asylum seekers going to volunteer to fly back to Afghanistan? Or has the Home Office lost track of them as well?

I do appreciate Canada has it's own problems too, but at least the perception is better. I would much rather live in Toronto with it's gun problem than live in the UK. I feel much safer here.
Old Feb 1st 2009, 7:03 am
BE Enthusiast

nooka is a glorious beacon of lightnooka is a glorious beacon of lightnooka is a glorious beacon of lightnooka is a glorious beacon of lightnooka is a glorious beacon of lightnooka is a glorious beacon of lightnooka is a glorious beacon of lightnooka is a glorious beacon of lightnooka is a glorious beacon of lightnooka is a glorious beacon of lightnooka is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Mistress Miggins
What like (metaphorically of course) kick him in the teeth?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.