Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Why are people so defensive about Canada ?

Why are people so defensive about Canada ?

Old Jan 31st 2009, 4:24 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Why are people so defensive about Canada ?

Originally Posted by dbd33
You're talking about European perceptions of a difference. I'm asking for an actual difference. Just to pick up on your first point, my child who's living in the US reports seeing moose and bears while bicycling to work. We don't get that here.
I don't think it's just European perceptions though. The gift shops at Canadian airports don't stock all those Canadian images just to influence Europeans.

As for the moose....that's why I said there were many similarities. It's just that moose are more associated with Canada.

Last edited by BristolUK; Jan 31st 2009 at 5:21 pm.
Old Jan 31st 2009, 4:28 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by James Martindale
The retailers are pretty much the same, the food outlets are pretty much the same. Most TV shows I watched in Canada were US produced etc.....

Canada may well claim to have rejected US expansionism but away from inefficeint Utility companes such as Telus & Bell the expansion by US companies into Canada is there for all too see.
The UK has plenty of companies originally from other parts of the world, plenty of American TV, considered to be 51st state (or 52nd) etc but there is still a clear 'British' identity just like there's a clear Canadian identity.
Old Jan 31st 2009, 4:31 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
I don't think it's just European perceptions though. The gift shops at Canadian airports don't stock all those Canadian images just to influence Europeans.

As for the moose....that's why I said there were mainy similarities. It's just that moose are more associated with Canada.
Furriners in general then. It's just image marketing along the lines of Swinging Sixties UK etc.

What is telling is that for Canada, this image hasn't changed in living memory. Whether that's a positive or a negative is up to you, but I suggest the ethnic diversity of the RCMP hardly reflects today's reality in say Toronto.
Old Jan 31st 2009, 4:41 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

just like there's a clear Canadian identity.
What is this "clear Canadian identity"?
Old Jan 31st 2009, 4:42 pm
Account Closed

DaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
What is telling is that for Canada, this image hasn't changed in living memory. Whether that's a positive or a negative is up to you, but I suggest the ethnic diversity of the RCMP hardly reflects today's reality in say Toronto.
Should it though? Yes. I would prefer the best person for the job, regardless of race, ethnicity, religion or gender, but it also needs to be someone who understands the challenges faced by the area served.

By all means get those communities under-represented in the RCMP to consider it as a career, but I would suggest some of those communities have a distrust of uniformed authority, rightly or wrongly, and would be reluctant to get involved. Positive discrimination in favour of the under-represented minorities is still discrimination though. It's a fine line to cross.
Old Jan 31st 2009, 5:44 pm
Oscar nominated

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
What is telling is that for Canada, this image hasn't changed in living memory. ... I suggest the ethnic diversity of the RCMP hardly reflects today's reality in say Toronto.
Yes, the image hasn't changed and that is what contributes to identity. Same as london with it's red double deckers.

Agreed about the RCMP and Toronto...but Toronto's souvenir shops still have the usual Canadian imagery on sale. Whatever way you look at it, that's still evidence of a different 'identity' to that seen in the USA.
What is this "clear Canadian identity"?
No one single aspect. Just like there's no 'one' identity for Americans, Scots, Irish, French etc.

Scotland and Wales probably has more in common with England than Canada does with the USA. Would you say there's no separate Welsh or Scottish identity?
Old Jan 31st 2009, 6:06 pm

dboy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by James Martindale
Don't forget that Canada is regarded as a nation of dog sledders. You have picked, and rightfully so, on stereotypes that movies and tourist boards have helped promote.

I think the point dbd33 is making is that on a day-to-day level there is very little difference between Canada and the US. The retailers are pretty much the same, the food outlets are pretty much the same. Most TV shows I watched in Canada were US produced etc.....

Canada may well claim to have rejected US expansionism but away from inefficeint Utility companes such as Telus & Bell the expansion by US companies into Canada is there for all too see.

Infact with the exception of Research In Motion I cannot think of a global Canadian Company? Is that the lack of entrepreneurialism by Canadians or their inability to cope with the US expansion and aggression?
Is n't that globalization? Last time I was in the UK, half the stores there were the same as here? Mexx, Gap etc, off the top of my head.

On outward appearances the US and Canada are very alike. And the proximity to the US is a huge influence of course it is.

But there is a Canadian identity, it is difficult to find sometimes, but it is there. Look at Quebec for instance, newfoundland, etc,
Old Jan 31st 2009, 6:11 pm

[QUOTE=James Martindale;7232768]
Originally Posted by dboy
What about Quebecan expansionism?
I think you mean separatism. ???
Old Jan 31st 2009, 6:31 pm
Forum Regular

moosey2canada has much to be proud ofmoosey2canada has much to be proud ofmoosey2canada has much to be proud ofmoosey2canada has much to be proud ofmoosey2canada has much to be proud ofmoosey2canada has much to be proud ofmoosey2canada has much to be proud ofmoosey2canada has much to be proud ofmoosey2canada has much to be proud ofmoosey2canada has much to be proud ofmoosey2canada has much to be proud of

To justify a choice they regret making but can't turn back from. People do eventually stop asking why you came back, so if you want to come HOME do it!
Old Jan 31st 2009, 6:38 pm

[QUOTE=dbd33;7231959]

There wasn't any Canada then so claiming that Canada participated in the war is rather silly. Anyway, it's a long time ago and, since then, Canada and the US have become practically indistinguishable. Differentiating between them is like differntiating between ice hockey teams, the Buffalo team is American, the Montreal one, Canadian, but they're all in the American league; there's no difference to the naked eye. There's no Canadian identity. There is, in fact, more of a distinct, non-US identity to Louisiana than there is to Canada.
There was a Canada , well actually two colonies upper and lower canada. So i fail to see how its silly, its our history, just like the Roman Empire in England. Do you only consider England's history as being applicable after the demise of the Roman Empire? It is simply convenient to call Canada, Canada. Or as they do here, pre and post confederation Canada.

What is the Canadian Identity? I think history gives us some insight. What about Quebec for instance. New France was once a French colony. And has a rich history - this too is part of the Canadian Identity.

Canada has rich history dating back hundreds of years. It's not as apparent or as colorful as Europe's history but its certainly there is you take the time to look for it.

http://www.canadianheritage.ca/books/canada3.htm
Old Jan 31st 2009, 7:11 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=dboy;7233857]

There was a Canada , well actually two colonies upper and lower canada. So i fail to see how its silly, its our history, just like the Roman Empire in England. Do you only consider England's history as being applicable after the demise of the Roman Empire? It is simply convenient to call Canada, Canada. Or as they do here, pre and post confederation Canada.

What is the Canadian Identity? I think history gives us some insight. What about Quebec for instance. New France was once a French colony. And has a rich history - this too is part of the Canadian Identity.

Canada has rich history dating back hundreds of years. It's not as apparent or as colorful as Europe's history but its certainly there is you take the time to look for it.

http://www.canadianheritage.ca/books/canada3.htm
I got tired of typing "anglophone" in front of Canada each time I said there's no difference between Canada and the US. I accept that francophone Canada has a culture different from that of the US; however I'd be buggered to tell the difference between Ontario and Ohio.

Back with the war of 1812 I've fetched an historian. There were Americans, she says, though most of them would have fought in the Revolutionary War and so were not "natural born" Americans. Prototypical Obamas, perhaps.
There were arguably "Canadians" but they were disorganized and "didn't do squat" it was the British that pushed the Americans back and burned the White House. I understand that, in Canada, and only in Canada, this is contentious. If Canadians want to feel that they've had a victory in a war then I suppose we should indulge them, we've had lots.
Old Jan 31st 2009, 7:16 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, the image hasn't changed and that is what contributes to identity. Same as london with it's red double deckers.

Agreed about the RCMP and Toronto...but Toronto's souvenir shops still have the usual Canadian imagery on sale. Whatever way you look at it, that's still evidence of a different 'identity' to that seen in the USA.

No one single aspect. Just like there's no 'one' identity for Americans, Scots, Irish, French etc.

Scotland and Wales probably has more in common with England than Canada does with the USA. Would you say there's no separate Welsh or Scottish identity?
I don't disagree with you. You seem to be mixing up my opinions with dbd33's, always a dangerous assumption (though often correct).

His point, (which you seem to partially accept above) is that the variability of lifestyle and outlooks in both the US and in Canada is far greater than the difference in the two means. Fair enough, but not IMHO very relevant to the idea of national identity.

You, OTOH, are confusing Canadian identity with symbols of identity.

I would argue that the crucial differences between the US folk and Canadians is connected to how each view the "underlying principles" defining the country to its own people. Here, I think there are clear differences in how Canadians view Canada and how americans view the USA, both in terms of their roles in the world and in terms of the defining principals of their governance.

My name is Novo and I am Canadian! (When it suits).
Old Jan 31st 2009, 7:17 pm
Banned

blackcomb1 is a jewel in the roughblackcomb1 is a jewel in the roughblackcomb1 is a jewel in the roughblackcomb1 is a jewel in the roughblackcomb1 is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by pgtips
I have read through many post on this website and also contributed to many.
One thing that strikes me is how defensive those Brits who have moved to Canada have become about Canada. If anybody says anything that contradicts their belief of the Canadian Utopia they have moved to they are beaten down, ridiculed, post deleted, called names like troll. Where has that Brit sense of humour gone, that British pride.

Brits make their homes all over the world and one thing the world likes about Brits is their Britishness and pride.

Reading through some post I am starting to think Canada is kinda like a 'Stepford Wives' kind of society. Anybody who does not follow the strict rules and has any other opinion is to be exterminated.

Why is it that the Brits who have emigrated to other parts of the world are still proud to be british yet the ones who have moved to Canada slag Britain off at the nearest opportunity ?
Errrm. We don't. At least all the ones I know including myself, don't.

In fact interesting is when I hear some Brits say how the Canadians don't understand our humour, well I guess it works both ways, and my personal observation is those knocking any side down with regard to humour and 'not getting it' is that they are the ones who do not have a sense of humour

Mind you our dry humour is not that funny and would not be easy to understand, I feel.
Old Jan 31st 2009, 7:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

flashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=dbd33;7233950]

it was the British that pushed the Americans back and burned the White House. I understand that, in Canada, and only in Canada, this is contentious. If Canadians want to feel that they've had a victory in a war then I suppose we should indulge them, we've had lots.
Canada was a colony so the Brits were just protecting their empire.

THere are commanalities between all occupants of North America just like the commonalities of the British Isles. But then there's regional and local differences in both locations.

In some repects it could be said that the UK is more like America than Canada because of similar materialistic values, fascination with celebrities, military bravado etc.
Old Jan 31st 2009, 7:25 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by flashman
In some repects it could be said that the UK is more like America than Canada because of similar materialistic values, fascination with celebrities, military bravado etc.
Is there a more vapid celebrity in all of the UK than Ben Mulrooney?

Granted he's zee list but it's a measure of how Canada and the US share a culture that, if he were a big shot, like Jim Carrey or William Shatner, everyone would think him American.

Last edited by dbd33; Jan 31st 2009 at 7:28 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.