Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Why move to Canada?

Why move to Canada?

Old Feb 23rd 2010, 5:05 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Why move to Canada?

Originally Posted by dbd33
I'm iffy on eating supermarket chickens but that's another story.
An uninteresting and slightly digusting fact: Newfoundland is home to Atlantic Canada/Canada's/Some part of North America's largest factory chicken farm, the delightfully named 'Country Ribbon' broiler farm just outside St. John's. The chicken, processed here, tastes of very little. Through a local butcher-cum-greengrocer-cum-fishmonger we recently bought a few genuine free range birds. The difference in taste was amazing. Apparently that Jamie Oliver fella is right, free range is the way to go.
Old Feb 23rd 2010, 5:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pammy is a glorious beacon of lightPammy is a glorious beacon of lightPammy is a glorious beacon of lightPammy is a glorious beacon of lightPammy is a glorious beacon of lightPammy is a glorious beacon of lightPammy is a glorious beacon of lightPammy is a glorious beacon of lightPammy is a glorious beacon of lightPammy is a glorious beacon of lightPammy is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat
An uninteresting and slightly digusting fact: Newfoundland is home to Atlantic Canada/Canada's/Some part of North America's largest factory chicken farm, the delightfully named 'Country Ribbon' broiler farm just outside St. John's. The chicken, processed here, tastes of very little. Through a local butcher-cum-greengrocer-cum-fishmonger we recently bought a few genuine free range birds. The difference in taste was amazing. Apparently that Jamie Oliver fella is right, free range is the way to go.
I agree, it costs more and does have a different smell but the texture and taste is much better.
Old Feb 23rd 2010, 5:10 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

"Free range" in the context of purpose bred meat birds is a bit meaningless. After a couple of weeks they're too fat to move so whether or not they nominally have access to the outdoors is a moot point. If the birds are dual purpose ones then they can run around but, without injection, they're not recognizably the same creatures as supermarket chickens. The ones I slaughtered tasted good but I could eat two of them for lunch.
Old Feb 23rd 2010, 5:21 pm
slanderer of the innocent

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute

forgot what i was going to say
Old Feb 23rd 2010, 5:22 pm

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute

oh yeah, remembered.

I like halal chicken from the local halal-y place. It's fresher.

Hope that helps!
Old Feb 23rd 2010, 5:22 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kiwilass
forgot what i was going to say
Perhaps that whatever Canada lacks in egg quality is balanced by the innovative milk packaging?
Old Feb 23rd 2010, 5:26 pm

Perhaps that whatever Canada lacks in egg quality is balanced by the innovative milk packaging?
Old Feb 23rd 2010, 5:29 pm

I like Kelly's acres free range eggs. You get them at shops. And there's another one but can't remember the name, local farm.

President's choice free range eggs taste like a chicken holocaust. I think they're lying, I think they live in bachelor suites in downtown Vancouver
Old Feb 23rd 2010, 6:16 pm

yessss. killed the thread!!!!
Old Feb 23rd 2010, 6:25 pm

ireland2canada is an unknown quantity at this point

Why move to Canada?

Not only is there milk-in-a-bag, if you are very lucky and network with people in high places, it is possible to go to the actual milk-in-a-bag factory and watch the milk going into the bag. Not just ordinary milk, oh no, chocolate milk too. It's like Willy Wonka, but with milk.

A highlight in my Canadian adventure and one that I recommend to anyone. In fact, it should be mandatory.
Old Feb 23rd 2010, 6:35 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ireland2canada
Why move to Canada?

Not only is there milk-in-a-bag, if you are very lucky and network with people in high places, it is possible to go to the actual milk-in-a-bag factory and watch the milk going into the bag. Not just ordinary milk, oh no, chocolate milk too. It's like Willy Wonka, but with milk.

A highlight in my Canadian adventure and one that I recommend to anyone. In fact, it should be mandatory.
The long winter must just fly by.
Old Feb 23rd 2010, 6:39 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

"Free range" in the context of purpose bred meat birds is a bit meaningless. After a couple of weeks they're too fat to move so whether or not they nominally have access to the outdoors is a moot point. If the birds are dual purpose ones then they can run around but, without injection, they're not recognizably the same creatures as supermarket chickens. The ones I slaughtered tasted good but I could eat two of them for lunch.
Well ok then if you are going to be pedantic: 'Independently reared non-factory farmed birds'. They were pretty large. And tasty.
Old Feb 23rd 2010, 6:41 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Well ok then if you are going to be pedantic: 'Independently reared non-factory farmed birds'. They were pretty large. And tasty.
Fair enough. I'd eat one.
Old Feb 23rd 2010, 6:42 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by ireland2canada
Why move to Canada?

Having been thrilled by the milk-in-a-bag bagging I must make a point of watching Willy Wonka.
Old Feb 23rd 2010, 6:45 pm
Slightly Canadian

Fair enough. I'd eat one.
Bought through an interesting store. Purveyor of aforesaid nearly free-range chickens. Fresh cod. Farmed Salmon. Locally grown veggies. Seal flippers. Seal flipper pie. Cod cheeks & tongues. Salt beef. Essentially all of your Newfoundland staples.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.