Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Why move to Canada?

Why move to Canada?

Old Feb 20th 2010, 1:46 am
BE Enthusiast

hereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Why move to Canada?

Originally Posted by chrisfromusa
Regarding your points:

1. I've noticed for many their first choice is the U.S. (mainly Florida, Texas, Arizona, Nevada, and California aka the sunbelt and tropics) then they find out they can't move here because their education is not enough/not readily recognized and a Canadian has higher priority over a job position than a Brit (not counting Americans and immigrants already living here, again mostly due to education. Employers prefer Canadian graduates). If that doesn't work, then Australia (mostly Perth, Queensland and Sydney), and then Canada. So basically form many many many responses I've met in the forums, Brits US and Australia bound mostly do it for climate-related reasons, however Brits Canada bound seem to do it for fondness of Canada (I don't think it's a bad place at all, I think it's better than here even)
I disagree strongly with this. The vast majority of British go to Australia and think only of Australia. Hardly any British people have substantial links in the US and I would be very surprised if the majority of British people looked into moving to the US first. In fact it just isn't the case.

50% of British emigrants go to just four countries, Australia, NZ, France and Spain. Canada is next and then the US. I would be very sceptical that this is simply because they cannot get in to the US. Most go to Australia because they have so many family and friends there and this creates a cascading effect.

Many British people would never move to the US because of the healthcare issue alone, and also many have a prejudiced (and wrong) view of the crime there. My best guess is that if they could get into the US, the order would be Australia and NZ first, then the US/Spain, then France and then Canada. But it's speculation!

Once in Australia I think it's Perth, Brisbane, Melbourne, Sydney, Adelaide, Hobart, and then Darwin. Not sure where Canberra fits in.
Old Feb 20th 2010, 1:56 am

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hereandthere
I disagree strongly with this. The vast majority of British go to Australia and think only of Australia. Hardly any British people have substantial links in the US and I would be very surprised if the majority of British people looked into moving to the US first. In fact it just isn't the case.

50% of British emigrants go to just four countries, Australia, NZ, France and Spain. Canada is next and then the US. I would be very sceptical that this is simply because they cannot get in to the US. Most go to Australia because they have so many family and friends there and this creates a cascading effect.

Many British people would never move to the US because of the healthcare issue alone, and also many have a prejudiced (and wrong) view of the crime there. My best guess is that if they could get into the US, the order would be Australia and NZ first, then the US/Spain, then France and then Canada. But it's speculation!

Once in Australia I think it's Perth, Brisbane, Melbourne, Sydney, Adelaide, Hobart, and then Darwin. Not sure where Canberra fits in.
I really disagree with this. Most British would rather go to the US but because they lack the education or technical job training then they have to go countries that don't require such highly skilled workers, like Canada or Australia. Those countries need less skilled jobs like bricklayers and lorry drivers and policemen whereas the US only wants the cream of the crop and not dropouts. But it's speculation!
Old Feb 20th 2010, 2:00 am
BE Enthusiast

chrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oink
I really disagree with this. Most British would rather go to the US but because they lack the education or technical job training then they have to go countries that don't require such highly skilled workers, like Canada or Australia. Those countries need less skilled jobs like bricklayers and lorry drivers and policemen whereas the US only wants the cream of the crop and not dropouts. But it's speculation!
Exactly the point I was trying to make
Old Feb 20th 2010, 2:02 am

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

I thought it might have been.
Old Feb 20th 2010, 2:05 am
BE Enthusiast

hereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond repute

No way. Most British people do not have the first clue about how different life in the US is, knowing it only through Hollywood films. The reality is very different. British people have a long relationship with Australia in particular and massively more contacts with Australia. Australian and British society are much more similar to each other and Australia has an excellent healthcare system which British people are used to.

Furthermore, Australian immigration requirements are changing radcially now, and it is getting harder for the lower skilled workers to get in, as Canberra is slowly shifting the emphasis to white collar workers.

I don't know how intelligent you are or how well-travelled you are because I'm not very familiar with your posts, so I'm not sure how to read your last sentence which is both inordinately ignorant and offensive. Perhaps it was supposed to be funny, in which case I would suggest the use of an emoticon to make your point clearer. As for the "drop out" comment, considering most British people in the US are there because they met and married a bored loser on Chubs4Marriage.com I would keep quiet on the subject. The massive number of American and Canadian professionals who live and work in my part of Australia would also take exception to being described as drop outs.

Speculate on that.

Last edited by hereandthere; Feb 20th 2010 at 2:10 am.
Old Feb 20th 2010, 2:08 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

It is exactly the point you made. Word for word. Do you lose your sense of humour (sorry humor) as soon as you go to the USA or does it take a year or two?

Last edited by Novocastrian; Feb 20th 2010 at 2:11 am.
Old Feb 20th 2010, 2:15 am

Originally Posted by hereandthere
No way. Most British people do not have the first clue about how different life in the US is, knowing it only through Hollywood films. The reality is very different. British people have a long relationship with Australia in particular and massively more contacts with Australia. Australian and British society are much more similar to each other and Australia has an excellent healthcare system which British people are used to.

Furthermore, Australian immigration requirements are changing radcially now, and it is getting harder for the lower skilled workers to get in, as Canberra is slowly shifting the emphasis to white collar workers.

I don't know how intelligent you are or how well-travelled you are because I'm not very familiar with your posts, so I'm not sure how to read your last sentence which is both inordinately ignorant and offensive. Perhaps it was supposed to be funny, in which case I would suggest the use of an emoticon to make your point clearer. As for the "drop out" comment, considering most British people in the US are there because they met and married a bored loser on Chubs4Marraige.com I would keep quiet on the subject. The massive number of American and Canadian professionals who live and work in my part of Australia would also take exception to being described as losers.

Speculate on that.
I certainly didn't mean to be offensive, sorry you took it that way. I was merely trotting out the same old baseless, nonsensical and overly generalized drivel that masquerades as factual reason in this thread. I thought it must all have been a joke, as no one could take these positions as anything other than that.

Last edited by Oink; Feb 20th 2010 at 2:20 am.
Old Feb 20th 2010, 2:27 am
BE Enthusiast

I certainly didn't mean to be offensive, sorry you took it that way. I was merely trotting out the same old baseless, nonsensical and overly generalized drivel that masquerades as factual reason in on this thread. I thought it must all have been a joke, as no one could take these positions as anything other than that.
Sure. A lot is drivel, yes. I think the point that Australia would remain more popular than the US stands up to scrutiny though. My reasons for saying this are that the main considerations of immigrants are work, healthcare and living standard, and in all three consideration Australia leads the US. It has much lower unemployment, a much more comprehensive healthcare system, and is No. 2 and on an upward trend in the UN's human development index, as opposed to the US which is at 13 and on a downward trend.

You could argue that if you're really rich in the US your standard of living would be higher, although I would say not necessarily, and also, we must look at the levels of the general society, not just niche quarters, because this informs crime levels and so on.

I think another way of looking at it is that many British people have a completely delusional way of looking at the US, informed mainly by programmes like the OC or Hollywood films. The reality is very different. The US is in decline, and its projected population I think is supposed to be 450 million by 2050. This population increase will not be accompanied by a concomitant increase in infrastructure because of the ball-busting US national debt. This means living standards are going down. Also, the US is changing demographically. In 2050 30% of the population will be Hispanic, or 135 million people. Despite the propaganda, Britain is about 85% - 90% white, and most British people grow up in white-centric cultures. A move to the US would confront them with an increasingly different culture to integrate into.

So the well-informed British emigrant would be smart to move to Australia over the US, is all I'm saying - not for the cultural reasons because many successfully move to Spain, but for the economic factors.

Last edited by hereandthere; Feb 20th 2010 at 2:35 am.
Old Feb 20th 2010, 2:33 am
Just Joined

EasyRider is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Squiddgelalert
I just received an email from somebody on here - am I mis-reading it or is there an element of truth by what is written?

"White Canadian’s are very false. They must learn the art of backstabbing in hockey at an early age, or something. They'll be 'nice' to your face while spreading lies about you to your co workers or even your boss. Don't ever talk about something controversial with them either, like politics. Basically they're mild mannered, passive-aggressive twits that are best dealt with aggressively. Don't ever think they're your friends. The only friend a Wasp Canadian has is a dog or cat. People to them are lower than rats.
Just suck what you can out of them before they're able to suck what they want out of you....because, make no mistake. You are only as good as what you can do for them, and only as long as you are able to do it. You're just a number to them.
What do you expect from a people where no one talks to one another in the streets, people dress shabbily, they live to work and not work to live and for whom the highest aspiration is to watch hockey with a beer in one hand and channel changer in the other.

Wait till China and India take over your economy
By the way, if you are educated you should know China & India are bigger economies in term of GDP than Canada. Play hockey, drink beer you uneducated jerks.

Mmmmm - food for thought for the foreign worker
I understand where they are coming from. I have a question-- does it hold true for the province of Quebec (Montreal, Quebec City)? Who can tell?

I'm almost certain not, I'm in Vancouver and I'm looking to escape this awful, cold, almost Darwinian social culture of narcissism and segregation. Very antisocial existence, there are no interesting real communities worth mentioning or common bond here. Some thrive in all that, but it's just not my cup of tea. Comparing to Europe-- life's totally antisocial here. I think the OP who has sent this is from Western Canada, likely Vancouver.

I'm honestly tired of wasps and protestants with their live-to-work corporate-brainwashed culture with cities that leave impression of large labor camps after you actually try to "live" there for a while with some cheap entertainment thrown for color.

I just wanted to confirm-- is Quebec culture so different from the rest of Canada? I'm looking for a place in Canada where people are actually lively and laid back (not lazy or dumb like so many in Vancouver), can have genuine fun and can let go (not these stiff anglo-saxon parties with pretend fun) and people talk to each other on the streets. I've heard Montreal is much like Barcelona which would be great. Why would I stay in Vancouver then?

As for Vancouver I can't wait to leave, the place is seriously messed up socially and politically. People are backward and aren't able to work together and cooperate efficiently which has come to limelight during this Olympics-- scandal after scandal, poor planning, organization and implementation. Everybody just seems to want to escape any responsibility "I'm done-- F.U. attitude" and walk over the others heads at any cost. Very backward society-- back to the caves, I'd say. I like this post I found and resonate with it pretty well:

Vancouver is at first glance a beautiful city. It is surrounded by sweeping vistas and a dramatic skyline. The climate is moderate. Spend some time here and scratch the surface and it becomes far less attractive. It is a city that is divided politically, it is parochial, narrow minded and shallow. The people are characterless, flakey and disingenuous. Vancouver is the scam capital of N. America, a skill set for which the local population is particularly adept.

The are times when I am certain that Vancouver is something straight out of Conrad's Heart of Darkness. It is a cold place. People in the same business do not interact of share information they do not network or help each other. There is an almost a Darwinian or Hobbesian social culture. Vancouver is an empty void.

The criminal element is growing. The black economy is larger than most people realize. It is the only city in N America where you will find someone begging on just about every street corner in the downtown core. The cities east end has rates of HIV infection that rival that of Africa. The political environment is polarized and doctrinaire. The left adheres to ideas that are at least a generation out of date. Vancouverites think that Naomi Klein is an intellectual when in reality she is a very silly charlatan. To Vancouverites The Secret is a serious work of self help. The right is equally foolish in the banality of their free market ideology.

You don't meet people of substance here. You meet flakes. The press is dominated by yellow journalism. Rarely if ever have I read a real piece of investigative journalism. You do not meet people who form their opinions based upon facts. When you encounter Vancouverites and engage them in the discussion of social issues the argument usually become circular and they end of talking only about themselves. There is a kind of deep insecurity that comes from profound feeling of self loathing that is hard wired into the political culture here. Narcissism is the dominate religion and real estate speculation the holy grail. It is without doubt one of the most dreary and boring places I have ever had the misfortune to call home.

Last edited by EasyRider; Feb 20th 2010 at 2:35 am. Reason: typos
Old Feb 20th 2010, 4:59 am

dboy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by EasyRider
I understand where they are coming from. I have a question-- does it hold true for the province of Quebec (Montreal, Quebec City)? Who can tell?

I'm almost certain not, I'm in Vancouver and I'm looking to escape this awful, cold, almost Darwinian social culture of narcissism and segregation. Very antisocial existence, there are no interesting real communities worth mentioning or common bond here. Some thrive in all that, but it's just not my cup of tea. Comparing to Europe-- life's totally antisocial here. I think the OP who has sent this is from Western Canada, likely Vancouver.

I'm honestly tired of wasps and protestants with their live-to-work corporate-brainwashed culture with cities that leave impression of large labor camps after you actually try to "live" there for a while with some cheap entertainment thrown for color.

I just wanted to confirm-- is Quebec culture so different from the rest of Canada? I'm looking for a place in Canada where people are actually lively and laid back (not lazy or dumb like so many in Vancouver), can have genuine fun and can let go (not these stiff anglo-saxon parties with pretend fun) and people talk to each other on the streets. I've heard Montreal is much like Barcelona which would be great. Why would I stay in Vancouver then?

As for Vancouver I can't wait to leave, the place is seriously messed up socially and politically. People are backward and aren't able to work together and cooperate efficiently which has come to limelight during this Olympics-- scandal after scandal, poor planning, organization and implementation. Everybody just seems to want to escape any responsibility "I'm done-- F.U. attitude" and walk over the others heads at any cost. Very backward society-- back to the caves, I'd say. I like this post I found and resonate with it pretty well:
what a bunch of crap.
Old Feb 20th 2010, 5:01 am

Originally Posted by dboy
what a bunch of crap.
Its all crap.
Old Feb 20th 2010, 5:06 am

Its all crap.
he pulls a bloggers comments and then spins it into his own post? Vancouver can be a tough a place at times and I certainly agree it can be overly provinical and backwards at times, but come on FFS, give me a break!
Old Feb 20th 2010, 5:10 am
Just Joined

what a bunch of crap.
Go F yourself, buddy. I need reply from those who can relate. Others don't need to reply.
Old Feb 20th 2010, 5:16 am

Originally Posted by EasyRider
Go F yourself, buddy. I need reply from those who can relate. Others don't need to reply.
What are you 20? Vancouver is a city for grown ups, i suggest you go and play somewhere else. and perhaps next time you can post you own comments instead of pulling a blogger's post, spinning it around and trying to act intelligent with big words.

And if you don't want a reply don't post. Grow up.
Old Feb 20th 2010, 5:42 am
Just Joined

What are you 20? Vancouver is a city for grown ups, i suggest you go and play somewhere else. and perhaps next time you can post you own comments instead of pulling a blogger's post, spinning it around and trying to act intelligent with big words.

And if you don't want a reply don't post. Grow up.
What? It's you acting like have never finished high school. I think what you're really trying to say is that Vancouver is a boring mediocre backwater, but can't admit and say this here 'cause of all bunch of your complexes? Are places like New York, Chicago, Montreal for "grown ups" as well or Vancouver apparently got a leg on these places?

Weak.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.