Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Why do Canadians not use ebay?

Why do Canadians not use ebay?

Old Mar 21st 2012, 7:53 pm
Forum Regular

skytek is just really niceskytek is just really niceskytek is just really niceskytek is just really niceskytek is just really niceskytek is just really niceskytek is just really niceskytek is just really niceskytek is just really nice
Default Re: Why do Canadians not use ebay?

Hi guys,

Lots of replies in a short space of time, thanks!

I use Kijiji all the time for house hunting (we are renting) but as it is an annonymous free for all type site it attracts a lot of scammers and general time wasters. It is a real pity Canada doesn't have such a good online retail experience and the postal service is so slow and expensive. But as has been said earlier, they have to serve half the population of the UK and over a much much greater area. I used to sell things on ebay back home for a bit extra income and was planning on carrying on out here in Canada but that is going to be impossible now because there basically is no ebay in Canada. I expect Fiji and even the south pole would have a more thriving ebay community.

Online shopping here is still stuck in the 90s for the large part. I went onto th biggest pharmac chain's website today Shoppers Drug Mart only to find it is barely a site at all and you can't browse though it's products or see what all it sells. Being the equivalen to Boots I was surprised to see that.

One great place is Well.ca. They do free shipping and it usually comes in 48 hours!

I'm being stung hard every time I order things from USA. I bought a pair of new studio speakers (very popular ones) online. There were no sellers in Ontario unless I would drive for a day and pay a silly price. So I ordered from USA and upon delivery got stung another $148 in customs charges.

My partner here had never bought anything online and she's a young hip person herself. But she couldn't believe how easy it is to shop online back home. She now buys all her clothes and sunglasses from Debnehams online because she likes the prices, the quality of the clothes and the fact that they get her orders to her in less than a week and for only £10. Wheras she bought some sunglasses here online and it takes 2 1/2 weeks.

So I got to thinking...

Since there is no competition on ebay and the online shopping scene is a baron wasteland for the most part, why don't some of us take advantage of this and offer some services here in the online retail world. Like a really good ebay store or something.
Old Mar 21st 2012, 7:58 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by skytek
I'm being stung hard every time I order things from USA. I bought a pair of new studio speakers (very popular ones) online. There were no sellers in Ontario unless I would drive for a day and pay a silly price. So I ordered from USA and upon delivery got stung another $148 in customs charges.

An expensive lesson. Fedex or UPS?

ALWAYS use USPS unless the seller is absolutely adamant, and then consider walking away.

Canada Post quite often dont bother collecting the duty (especially when shipped to my work), and when they do its a flat rate brokerage charge of <$10. I've had $1600 saxes arrive tax free, Result! On the other hand I once bought a case, shipped by UPS, that cost more in brokerage and tax than I "paid" for it. Lesson learned.
Old Mar 21st 2012, 8:00 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by skytek
Since there is no competition on ebay and the online shopping scene is a baron wasteland for the most part, why don't some of us take advantage of this and offer some services here in the online retail world. Like a really good ebay store or something.
Cos it will cost too much to ship anything... QED.

I suppose it could work if it was specific to a large city and you covered your own delivery costs, but outside in the rest of Canada the 3rd party delivery costs would probably kill any benefit.
Old Mar 21st 2012, 8:43 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iaink
Cos it will cost too much to ship anything... QED.

I suppose it could work if it was specific to a large city and you covered your own delivery costs, but outside in the rest of Canada the 3rd party delivery costs would probably kill any benefit.
But that's covered off already by kijiji.
Old Mar 21st 2012, 8:54 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
But that's covered off already by kijiji.
Right, but officialy kijiji is supposed to be about private individuals offloading used stuff in the classifieds rather than businesses operating at volume, although its pretty obvious that many businesses are exploiting it to shift product, just not in a "shopfront" way.

Lets not forget that kijiji is owned by ebay anyway... in the US its "ebay classifieds", or at least it was.

I was thinking that in the GTA an online shop that threw same or next day "local" delivery in as part of the service and didnt have to rely on 3rd parties to deliver would maybe work OK. In smaller, more spread out markets I doubt it would be viable, but who knows.

Last edited by iaink; Mar 21st 2012 at 9:02 pm.
Old Mar 21st 2012, 8:55 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

I have

A box of sax reeds, maybe £2 to mail in the UK, $20 to mail from Vancouver. $3 from the US. Just one example why ebay fails. Canada post is a rip off, or more accurately cant be as cheap when servicing half the number of people spread over 100 times the area.

A lot of the deals my brothers do on ebay in the UK they pick up in person. Thats not all that practical here, not outside one or two large urban areas. I did drive to the other side of Toronto once to pick up a keyboard that I got on ebay for a steal, but thats an excption for a high value item that was worth the time and effort.
OK, stay clear of Canada Post. I send stuff via courier all over Canada all the time. I don't believe I have ever paid more than $15. I sent a large package to New Zealand not so long ago, I believe I obtained change from $50.

I would imagine that most of the packages I send would be of a similar size/weight to items one would normally buy on Ebay
Old Mar 21st 2012, 9:00 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
OK, stay clear of Canada Post. I send stuff via courier all over Canada all the time. I don't believe I have ever paid more than $15. I sent a large package to New Zealand not so long ago, I believe I obtained change from $50.

I would imagine that most of the packages I send would be of a similar size/weight to items one would normally buy on Ebay
Whats the minimum to courier something though? Looks like about $10 for fed ex ground to ship an envelope 25km from my office to home. $36 for Fedex Economy service.

$10 to shop a $10 item is the problem. Ebay is OK within canada for big ticket small items that can be shipped, but it makes no sense to me for the sort of small cheap stuff people use it for in the UK.
Old Mar 21st 2012, 9:06 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Right, but officialy kijiji is supposed to be about private individuals offloading used stuff in the classifieds rather than businesses operating at volume, although its pretty obvious that many businesses are exploiting it to shift product, just not in a "shopfront" way.

Lets not forget that kijiji is owned by ebay anyway... in the US its "ebay classifieds", or at least it was.

I was thinking that in the GTA an online shop that threw same or next day "local" delivery in as part of the service and didnt have to rely on 3rd parties to deliver would maybe work OK. In smaller, more spread out markets I doubt it would be viable, but who knows.
I didn't know that. I did know that the french version of kijiji was take down and your browser now directs you to ebay.fr, so it makes sense.

Not very relevant but I use leboncoin.fr when looking for stuff online in that country.
Old Mar 21st 2012, 11:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

jimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond repute

I have

A box of sax reeds, maybe £2 to mail in the UK, $20 to mail from Vancouver. $3 from the US. Just one example why ebay fails. Canada post is a rip off, or more accurately cant be as cheap when servicing half the number of people spread over 100 times the area.

A lot of the deals my brothers do on ebay in the UK they pick up in person. Thats not all that practical here, not outside one or two large urban areas. I did drive to the other side of Toronto once to pick up a keyboard that I got on ebay for a steal, but thats an excption for a high value item that was worth the time and effort.
I used to buy quite a few items on Ebay in the UK. I still use the UK account for small items that can be shipped direct from the UK or sent to someone in the UK who can then send them on to me. The range of items available in the UK is just so much better.

I've occasionally looked at the .ca site but never really thought there was enough on it to bother setting up an account even.

When you say 1/2 the people over 100 times the area thats a little misleading isn't it. The vast majority of the Canadian population is concentrated in relatively small areas in the country.
Old Mar 21st 2012, 11:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

Lychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
I believe it is simply that Canadians are not very internet savvy. Compare most websites in most sectors in Canada with their counterparts in Europe and there is simply no comparison. Lack of competition and all that
I highly doubt it's because Canadians aren't internet savvy. Numerous studies over the years have shown they use the internet more than anyone else in the world.

E-Bay and online shopping hasn't become a normal part of the local culture or the local habit. Why? I'm sure there are a myriad reasons - Canada Post, etc. Not entirely sure why, but I don't buy "Canadians aren't internet savvy". Prohibitive cost of doing business by mail in Canada is likely the reason.

Last edited by Lychee; Mar 22nd 2012 at 12:00 am.
Old Mar 22nd 2012, 12:29 am
Forum Regular

richardm123 has much to be proud ofrichardm123 has much to be proud ofrichardm123 has much to be proud ofrichardm123 has much to be proud ofrichardm123 has much to be proud ofrichardm123 has much to be proud ofrichardm123 has much to be proud ofrichardm123 has much to be proud ofrichardm123 has much to be proud ofrichardm123 has much to be proud ofrichardm123 has much to be proud of

I gave up on Ebay when I moved here. Canada post are daylight robbery.
Old Mar 22nd 2012, 1:14 am
BE Enthusiast

conjonway has a reputation beyond reputeconjonway has a reputation beyond reputeconjonway has a reputation beyond reputeconjonway has a reputation beyond reputeconjonway has a reputation beyond reputeconjonway has a reputation beyond reputeconjonway has a reputation beyond reputeconjonway has a reputation beyond reputeconjonway has a reputation beyond reputeconjonway has a reputation beyond reputeconjonway has a reputation beyond repute

Just put up my first item for sale on eBay.Ca.

It is INCREDIBLY difficult to use compared to the uk site. And yes, part of the problem is the complexity and expense involved in the shipping totals.

Also, it continuously recommends you use US prices and shipping rates in order to reach a larger market. So it's really just like the only purpose for the Canadian site is to provide more stock for an American marketplace.
Old Mar 22nd 2012, 1:21 am
Born again atheist

Originally Posted by conjonway
Just put up my first item for sale on eBay.Ca.

It is INCREDIBLY difficult to use compared to the uk site. And yes, part of the problem is the complexity and expense involved in the shipping totals.

Also, it continuously recommends you use US prices and shipping rates in order to reach a larger market. So it's really just like the only purpose for the Canadian site is to provide more stock for an American marketplace.
It's perhaps slightly ironic though, that the first President of Ebay (not the founder) is a Canadian, one Jeffery Skol.

Like many successful Canadians, he's lived in Los Angeles for years.
Old Mar 22nd 2012, 1:44 am
BE Enthusiast

tee1 has a reputation beyond reputetee1 has a reputation beyond reputetee1 has a reputation beyond reputetee1 has a reputation beyond reputetee1 has a reputation beyond reputetee1 has a reputation beyond reputetee1 has a reputation beyond reputetee1 has a reputation beyond reputetee1 has a reputation beyond reputetee1 has a reputation beyond reputetee1 has a reputation beyond repute

I was looking for some skis the other week and thought I'd check out Ebay.ca.
I couldnt help but laugh, it makes Canada look like some vast uninhabited waste land In the whole of Canada, a country that loves skiing, 1 pair of skis was listed for sale

I don't think Canada post is just to blame, sure expensive shipping doesn't help but tbh I just think the benefits of internet shopping have caught on yet and is not part of the culture. Shops could at least list there stock on a website so I know from the comfort of my armchair if they sell what I want. And of those that do sell online please don't take a several days to dispatch. You can't blame the postal system for this type of stuff. Maybe im just used to the normal level of internet service in the UK for example order by 12pm for same or next day dispatch
Old Mar 22nd 2012, 1:56 am
BE Forum Addict

Lychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tee1
Maybe im just used to the normal level of internet service in the UK for example order by 12pm for same or next day dispatch
You're used to living in a country of 60 million people living within close quarters of one another so that next day dispatch is a reality. In Canada, the population of 30 million spread out across 5? 6? time zones with the flight prices the way they are, it's not surprising it hasn't become a reality.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.