Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Why do Canadians not use ebay?

Why do Canadians not use ebay?

Old Mar 21st 2012, 5:48 pm
Forum Regular

skytek is just really niceskytek is just really niceskytek is just really niceskytek is just really niceskytek is just really niceskytek is just really niceskytek is just really niceskytek is just really niceskytek is just really nice
Default Why do Canadians not use ebay?

I'm living in Canada now (wow, 25C in March?! ) and loving it

BUT...

Why is Ebay.ca as baron as a Nun's lingerie drawer? Common items that would be available in their hundreds on Ebay UK get from 0-5 results and usually 4 of those are located in USA. Even looking at iphone 4s - I found only one completed sale on the whole of Ebay Canada.

I know online shopping in Canada is about up to the level the UK was at in 1993 but I thought ebay would have caught on here a bit more than...um....nothing at all.

I'm not even going to start on the postal service. 8 days to post a letter....TO MYSELF! And 3 weeks to post one from London to Toronto!
Old Mar 21st 2012, 6:08 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Why do Canadians not use ebay?

Vast distances and ridiculous shipping costs basically.

Kijiji is more on a local scale so cuts out those issues.

I use ebay a bit for stuff thats not easy or cheap to find locally, and usually end up dealing with sellers in the US. Its just a bigger market, 350M people instead of 35M.

Last edited by iaink; Mar 21st 2012 at 7:31 pm.
Old Mar 21st 2012, 6:19 pm
Bon Vivant

Simon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond repute

I use eBay all the time. 557 or so deals over the years.
I even use it to buy stuff from shippers who will not send outside of the US. I just have it sent here and the good old USPS forwards packages to me in Nova Scotia. Works like a charm and the service is free. I have never had a problem.
Canada Post on the other hand charges me $145 plus tax to redirect my mail from Canada to here for six months. Daylight robbery !
Old Mar 21st 2012, 6:34 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iaink
Vast distances and ridiculous shipping costs basically. I use ebay a bit for stuff thats not easy or cheap to find locally, and usually end up dealing with sellers in the US. Its just a bigger market, 350M people instead of 35M.
Why not compare 60M in the UK with 30M in Canada? There is a world outside of North America.

I haven't looked at it specifically, but I don't imagine that postal rates Canada/UK are so massively different that it is the reason why. I believe it is simply that Canadians are not very internet savvy. Compare most websites in most sectors in Canada with their counterparts in Europe and there is simply no comparison. Lack of competition and all that
Old Mar 21st 2012, 6:40 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian

I haven't looked at it specifically, but I don't imagine that postal rates Canada/UK are so massively different that it is the reason why.
I have

A box of sax reeds, maybe £2 to mail in the UK, $20 to mail from Vancouver. $3 from the US. Just one example why ebay fails. Canada post is a rip off, or more accurately cant be as cheap when servicing half the number of people spread over 100 times the area.

A lot of the deals my brothers do on ebay in the UK they pick up in person. Thats not all that practical here, not outside one or two large urban areas. I did drive to the other side of Toronto once to pick up a keyboard that I got on ebay for a steal, but thats an excption for a high value item that was worth the time and effort.

Last edited by iaink; Mar 21st 2012 at 6:45 pm.
Old Mar 21st 2012, 6:46 pm
Banned

fletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud of

I have

A box of sax reeds, maybe £2 to mail in the UK, $20 to mail from Vancouver. $3 from the US. Just one example why ebay fails. Canada post is a rip off, or more accurately cant be as cheap when servicing half the number of people spread over 100 times the area.
I bought some nursing books, less than a Kilo in weight....$100 to UK. Joke

It is the postal charges.
Old Mar 21st 2012, 6:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

Partially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond repute

I have

A lot of the deals my brothers do on ebay in the UK they pick up in person. Thats not all that practical here, not outside one or two large urban areas. I did drive to the other side of Toronto once to pick up a keyboard that I got on ebay for a steal, but thats an excption for a high value item that was worth the time and effort.
I just sent an envelope full of documents from one end of the City to another for about $9 with Canada Post...they said 4 to 5 business days. When I told them I could walk it in that time...they basically said 'fine do it'. A courier would have been $13 and it would have been there in an hour. I honestly thought it would be cheaper than $9 which is why I sent via Canada Post.

Post offices in Canada are quite empty at times and in my opinion they are pricing themselves out of the market due to slow delivery times, labour unrest, prices and bureaucratic attitudes.
Old Mar 21st 2012, 6:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

Third6 is just really niceThird6 is just really niceThird6 is just really niceThird6 is just really niceThird6 is just really niceThird6 is just really niceThird6 is just really niceThird6 is just really niceThird6 is just really niceThird6 is just really niceThird6 is just really nice

I think people give Canada Post a bad rep...I posted a small letter/package to my dear old mum on Friday just passed from Toronto to Aberdeen, Scotland and it arrived yesterday, safe and sound.
Old Mar 21st 2012, 7:02 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Third6
I think people give Canada Post a bad rep...I posted a small letter/package to my dear old mum on Friday just passed from Toronto to Aberdeen, Scotland and it arrived yesterday, safe and sound.
I think people give Canada Post too much credit. I sent my nan a pair of yak slippers and the parcel took four and half weeks to get there and it cost $35 to post.
Old Mar 21st 2012, 7:03 pm

TheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond repute

I used to use Ebay all the time in the UK, especially building up to our move over here to get rid of all the crap (sorry, quality items ) that we weren't bringing with us. I don't use it here although my husband does but he tends to use it for more expensive stuff (science fiction) that you can't buy or sell local. The majority of the stuff he buys and sells is with the US.

For the sort of stuff I sell (mostly kids clothes and toys) I use Kijiji now instead. Like for like, it doesn't sell for as much as when I used to sell via Ebay in the UK but at least I get a little something for it and it gets it out of the way once we're done with it.
Old Mar 21st 2012, 7:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

Third6 is just really niceThird6 is just really niceThird6 is just really niceThird6 is just really niceThird6 is just really niceThird6 is just really niceThird6 is just really niceThird6 is just really niceThird6 is just really niceThird6 is just really niceThird6 is just really nice

Originally Posted by Oink
I think people give Canada Post too much credit. I sent my nan a pair of yak slippers and the parcel took four and half weeks to get there and it cost $35 to post.
Really? I must just be lucky...I've never had a problem with them.
Old Mar 21st 2012, 7:18 pm
Banned

fletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud of

I only have a problem with the price they charge to send stuff to UK, i am in the dark about the reputation they may have...
Old Mar 21st 2012, 7:21 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

My only issue is the cost. $16 to send 4 kraft envelops with the kids school pics to the rellies in the UK just made me think next time I will just scan them and email. They got there soon enough. Quite often mail from here to the UK is quicker than local mail though, which is pretty bizarre.

Kijiji is an ebay alternative for me too.
Old Mar 21st 2012, 7:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

pennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond repute

I would second www.kijiji.ca Everyone here seems to use it rather than ebay.
Old Mar 21st 2012, 7:51 pm
Part Time Poster

MikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond repute

ebay works

I use it all the time,

What I don't do is by in Canada unless I have to, due to slow post and provincial taxes

Buy from the US its cheaper just avoid FedEx and UPS as they screw you on duty, just use USPS its fast and very reasonable

or buy direct from China Hong Kong, just check carefully what you're buying

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.