Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

why did you want to leave the uk?

why did you want to leave the uk?

Old May 18th 2009, 4:26 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: why did you want to leave the uk?

Originally Posted by kate holt
so how late at night are you talking - after the trains stop running its a different story...
Well, these days a late night for me is 11pm but then I'm a lightweight with two children that wake me up ridiculously early! So a late evening train now, but in my pre-baby days a few years ago, when we lived near Uxbridge, I used to get the nightbus back at 3am or 4am and never had a problem either.

London is simply a typical large city imo, would you go out at 4am in New York, Toronto or Paris and expect to feel safe? Still think it's far from being comparable to Beirut..........
Old May 18th 2009, 4:26 pm
no I aint

Flogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dboy
We should all agree to disagree. People from Bath and rural areas are going to have a very, very different outlook than those of us from large urban areas such as Manchester, Liverpool or London.

These threads always go the same way. Each to their own. Not sure why people feel they have to defend blighty, if you are happy, good for you. Same goes for Canada.

But someone living in Bath will find a move to Edmonton a very different experience from some one in Manchester. And Roman Spa's don't pay the bills i'm afraid.
I don't live in Bath,I just plucked it at random as a Brittish city that differs from Manchester.
Old May 18th 2009, 4:28 pm
Forum Regular

NomadicJ is just really niceNomadicJ is just really niceNomadicJ is just really niceNomadicJ is just really niceNomadicJ is just really niceNomadicJ is just really niceNomadicJ is just really niceNomadicJ is just really niceNomadicJ is just really nice

Isn't that the point though? Surely the best time to emmigrate from somewhere is when you are comfortable with it but know what life can be better elsewhere. I can't help but feel that if you run for reason x or y then you are always going to weighing up the pro's and con's against those reasons. If you emmigrate because you wanted something different, then you aren't going to be disappointed and are better placed to settle?

I for one am from Chippenham, Wilts originally (about 15 mins from Bath!) and am looking to go because I know how this country works. I have a reasonable job but I want something more from life, for me, my partner and any future kids...

Shoot me down if you want but that my opinion...

(ducks)
Old May 18th 2009, 4:30 pm
Forum Regular

kate holt has a brilliant futurekate holt has a brilliant futurekate holt has a brilliant futurekate holt has a brilliant futurekate holt has a brilliant futurekate holt has a brilliant futurekate holt has a brilliant future

these threads always go the same way. Should just sticky one and automatically merge every new one that pops up; there's something about immigration...
I agree there is definitely an air of negativity on this forum - is it because that we feel that when we comment and others don't agree with what we say we take it as a personal attack? I know I have felt that way at times and there are some really petty comments sometimes!

I agree we should all agree to disagree...
Old May 18th 2009, 4:32 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kate holt
Have you been into central London lately for a night out! its scary...
Yep was there on Saturday and am still in one piece, albeit with a hangover still

We were lucky not to get caught up in the gun fire, mortar shelling etc
Old May 18th 2009, 4:34 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MR POT
I will say again people live in there little box and thats fine, but to have a opinion of the whole of the uk based on that shows the lack of common sense and education I speak off.

Read the news outside of your local community, its a big world out there.
I am assuming that your comments were directed at me? Although it's not clear but I will guess that they are.

In which case, don't assume things about me that you do not know. Your post is patronising and presumptuous.

I do not have a lack of common sense or a lack of education. You are incredibly rude to assume that this is the case when you have not bothered to enquire further.

Perhaps I should have given my life history before posting, but I didn't feel that I should have to. However, for future info, please note that I have lived in numerous different counties in the UK (also central Birmingham, Oxford and London) so I do have many different locations to compare, not just my 'little box'. I have also lived in different countries across the world. And as it happens, I am educated (shocking, I know!) - my experience of living in Oxford comes from having studied there.

Tone down your posts please and don't be so aggressive to people that disagree with you politely. Please also refrain from jumping to conclusions about people or being so rude - calling people uneducated or lacking in common sense is less than courteous and not good forum netiquette.
Old May 18th 2009, 4:39 pm
Forum Regular

skyturner is just really niceskyturner is just really niceskyturner is just really niceskyturner is just really niceskyturner is just really niceskyturner is just really niceskyturner is just really niceskyturner is just really niceskyturner is just really niceskyturner is just really niceskyturner is just really nice

ok people.....time out!! lets all have some quiet time now, we have all said our piece and detracted way from the original post......next.
Old May 18th 2009, 4:41 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by skyturner
ok people.....time out!! lets all have some quiet time now, we have all said our piece and detracted way from the original post......next.
You trying to nick my job?!?
Old May 18th 2009, 4:49 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

We should all agree to disagree. People from Bath and rural areas are going to have a very, very different outlook than those of us from large urban areas such as Manchester, Liverpool or London.

These threads always go the same way. Each to their own. Not sure why people feel they have to defend blighty, if you are happy, good for you. Same goes for Canada.

But someone living in Bath will find a move to Edmonton a very different experience from some one in Manchester. And Roman Spa's don't pay the bills i'm afraid.
You're totally right dboy.

As for the defending, it's mainly when people write sweeping statements that are just silly.

Examples
  • All of the UK is a pile of dog turd and everybody claims benefits
  • London is the same as Beiruit
  • It rains in Vancouver 24/7
  • I'm moving to Canada because there is no public transport in the UK

Last edited by el_richo; May 18th 2009 at 5:01 pm.
Old May 18th 2009, 5:10 pm
Forum Regular

pacepeter is a jewel in the roughpacepeter is a jewel in the roughpacepeter is a jewel in the roughpacepeter is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by andreip
im not sure in canada are 2 taxes ,federal and provincial which comes to about 25% on average ? Do they have national insurance contributions like in england?
income tax is 22% VAT is 15% thats not counting the very hight tax on petrol and vat on gas electric alberta has only the 5 %
Old May 18th 2009, 5:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

act1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to behold

Very true. Ones own circumstances will have as much as an influence as the place its self. Moving to a new place, no job, savings vanishing, relationship in the gutter due to the stress, kids miss their friends/grandparents etc.

Which is why you have to give it a reasonable amount of time to make a realistically informed decision. People leaving one place for another expecting a 'fix' to all their woes may be in for a shock.

Overall i have to give Canada the nod for overall better quality of life, and livability - but that's my bag and may not be someone else's. My memories of the UK of the eighties when I left are not very pleasant I'm afraid.

Why did i leave? I actually never 'left england' - just popped abroad for an adventure when i was 20 and expected to go back after 12 months - that was 20 years ago -and i never did go back.
Maybe thats what we should all do. Go over there with the intention of coming home in a year. You put much less pressure on yourselves then!!!

And the UK has got way worse since the 80's IMO. Have you been back for a visit at all?

Last edited by act1980; May 18th 2009 at 5:18 pm.
Old May 18th 2009, 5:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

act1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to behold

I was in London a few years ago - biggest shock to me was the prices. Didn't notice much else beyond that.
How about the EXTREMELY rude people I HATE London for that reason!

The city is so dirty too
Old May 18th 2009, 5:15 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by pacepeter
income tax is 22% VAT is 15% thats not counting the very hight tax on petrol and vat on gas electric alberta has only the 5 %
5%? What tax are you referring to in Alberta?
Old May 18th 2009, 5:16 pm
jmh
BE Forum Addict

jmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond repute

Isn't that less than the US? How do they pay for their free healthcare?
Old May 18th 2009, 5:25 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Eh? 22% is one rate of federal tax. Granted, in some provinces the total tax you pay, in normal earnings ranges, can be approximately 22%.

No VAT in Canada. GST is the nearest equivalent and is 5%. (12% in the Maritimes). Provinces have their own sales taxes than range between 0% and 10%.

Tax on gas (petrol) is considerably lower than the UK.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.