Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

why did you want to leave the uk?

why did you want to leave the uk?

Old May 18th 2009, 5:26 pm
Just Joined

MR POT is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: why did you want to leave the uk?

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
I am assuming that your comments were directed at me? Although it's not clear but I will guess that they are.

In which case, don't assume things about me that you do not know. Your post is patronising and presumptuous.

I do not have a lack of common sense or a lack of education. You are incredibly rude to assume that this is the case when you have not bothered to enquire further.

Perhaps I should have given my life history before posting, but I didn't feel that I should have to. However, for future info, please note that I have lived in numerous different counties in the UK (also central Birmingham, Oxford and London) so I do have many different locations to compare, not just my 'little box'. I have also lived in different countries across the world. And as it happens, I am educated (shocking, I know!) - my experience of living in Oxford comes from having studied there.

Tone down your posts please and don't be so aggressive to people that disagree with you politely. Please also refrain from jumping to conclusions about people or being so rude - calling people uneducated or lacking in common sense is less than courteous and not good forum netiquette.
Its not a personal attack, its factual evidence from professional people in the specific disciplines, every one has a opinion and thats fine but is professional no.
But the reality is that most peoples opinion is most built on personal preference of where they live and there own job.
That can only be limited and unrealistic when looking at the bigger picture.
In reality one in thousands will have role like mine which will require such diversity with different cultures and various professions.
It is beneficial to live in London as it has given me the opportunity to know so many people in various fields which is also what I base my judgments on, not a guess like most.
Thats not being aggressive, if anything finding out correct information (not just googling it) is lacking in the english education system.
GCSE and A levels students are now taught the answers to the questions in their exams, not how to work it out for themselves?

That is from my brother, a teacher who left and will only return to see his family.

How can this develop our childrens minds?
Old May 18th 2009, 5:26 pm
Forum Regular

pacepeter is a jewel in the roughpacepeter is a jewel in the roughpacepeter is a jewel in the roughpacepeter is a jewel in the rough

i think its the attitude of the majority of the people living in the contry take for example the attitude when you go in a shop in canada helpfull smiling and taking pride in thier job, in uk they just grunt and say what do want. yes things are simmilar but not as bad, a rought area in calgary yes they will mug you for your money but in rought areas in uk they will mug you for nothing just being there, also the multicultural areas they are very dirty but not mentioning any race of people.
Old May 18th 2009, 5:31 pm
Forum Regular

Maria_747 will become famous soon enoughMaria_747 will become famous soon enough

The main reason we were going to Toronto was to be near family after my father passed way here. Most of the family lived in Toronto and other parts of the US and they were pressurising Mum and I to move. We had visted toronto many times and we liked the city and for some reason, it looked cheerful and sunny, the suburbs looked nice !

We booked our flights and had our house rented out and then a week before, Mum and me just couldn't do it. We had sleepless nights and nightmares about leaving London. At that moment in time, we were just not mentally ready to go. We were too emotionally attached to our house because of my Dad and London ( he loved London !). However, we are going to give it go when the time is right within the next year or so.

Comparisons are difficult to make, people have their own priorities and what they are looking for in their life. Each city has its own good, bad and the ugly.

P.S
I don't think London is like Beirut crime wise, apart from being a lively and buzzing city. A night out in London is great, theatre, seeing people eating and drinking and watching the world go by. We have alot more choice to do things in the city night or day and so many parks to visit. I don't know, Toronto nightlife doesn't have that buzz of London yet !

Beirut is quite safe these days. Even during the bombing, Beiruties were still partying in the clubs ! Its one of my favourite cities !
Old May 18th 2009, 5:32 pm

lmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond repute

Actually some of the opinions being expressed in this thread are what make me glad I am leaving the UK. However lightly disguised, comments from some posters are offensive and racist.

Might I suggest a moderator considers whether some action might be justified?
Old May 18th 2009, 5:33 pm
Forum Regular

Maria_747 will become famous soon enoughMaria_747 will become famous soon enough

Sorry again fro anothe post

I met a friend from London, she lived 6 years in Toronto and couldn't settled there in the 1990s. After 6 years she came back. She feels happier here career wise and familywise . Her ex husband loved it Toornto and he stayed behind!

So each to their own !
Old May 18th 2009, 5:36 pm

lmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pacepeter
also the multicultural areas they are very dirty but not mentioning any race of people.
I believe that this might be close to being illegal under the Criminal Justice and Public Order Act 1994 (as well as merely being offensive).
Old May 18th 2009, 5:39 pm
Forum Regular

pacepeter is a jewel in the roughpacepeter is a jewel in the roughpacepeter is a jewel in the roughpacepeter is a jewel in the rough

5%? What tax are you referring to in Alberta?
province tax yes income tax is about the same
Old May 18th 2009, 5:43 pm
Banned

Auld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond repute

When I came over 40 years ago leaving the UK wasn't such a big decision, except from leaving family and friends. The UK was only 20 years out of the war and large urban centres were rebuilding with countless millions having no proper accommodations. People went on council housing waiting lists and many had been on them for years. Young couples with children were often living with parents in already crowded conditions. At that time Canada was actively seeking immigrants and there were a number of Immigration Offices around the UK. Canada actually lent immigrants the fare(s) to come to Canada. You just had to pass a medical and you were on your way. There was no reccies in those days. Almost everyone came sight unseen.

Every UK expat I know from that era has done well and would not go back, which is to be more than expected after 30-40 years. At that time there was no Internet, long-distance 'phoning was expensive and you had to book the call ahead of time. Getting a job was relatively easy compared to today and those I know were working within a couple of weeks. Just as with immigrants today, the winter was a shock, probably more so than today as the knowledge base of such things was sketchy if not non-existent (no Internet).

All-in-all I'm very well established in Canada. I like very much living here, but other than 23 years in the UK I have lived nowhere else. Living conditions in the UK were not good when I left, at least for me, so it was a vast improvement.Within two weeks of arrival I was living in a brand new apartment in a building with underground parking and a swimming pool, all for $137 per month. Had a car within one year. These two situations were beyond my wildest dreams in the UK.

I have been back to the UK many times over the years. All my family and friends are in comfortable situations, I'm pleased to say. The past 5 visits have been used to see the country as I had never seen it as a youth. The countryside and coast, from one end of the country to the other, is magnificent. History and culture envelops you. Wonderful historic buildings, which if examined properly, make one's mouth gape in astonishment. In all my visits I have not experienced any criminal activity against me or witnessed any against others. The inner cities of Glasgow, Manchester, Birmingham are disappointing, to say the least. Huge blocks of council housing flats in great states of disrepair. Streets of old terrace housing such as in the photographs from dboy don't really float my boat. If people are forced by circumstances to live in such conditions it doesn't surprise me to read declarations on this site of people hating the UK.

Could I go back to live in the UK? Absolutely, provided I could live in a similar manner as to how I live here and could choose my location. There are some things I would have to come to terms with, such as the drinking culture, parking or lack thereof and much overcrowded roads which is surely going to get worse.

For those in the UK with a good lifestyle, a nice home in a pleasant area and a good job I don't really see the great attraction in Canada, Australia, NZ etc, etc. For those struggling to improve their situation, then perhaps emi/immigration is an answer, as it certainly was for me. Canada is not the panacea to all your problems as many posters on this site have discovered.
Old May 18th 2009, 5:43 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MR POT
In reality one in thousands will have role like mine which will require such diversity with different cultures and various professions.
Get over yourself - you're a construction manager aren't you?!? Hardly a rare profession. And in fact, my husband did/does something very similar, and deals with different countries all the time (either consulting with their governments or speaking at international conferences etc) and different professions. Your role is far from unique and despite what you seem to think, does not give you any insights above anybody else. Learn some humility and you'll find that there are many others on this forum who have far more experience than you of occupations, other areas in the UK or other countries.

It is beneficial to live in London as it has given me the opportunity to know so many people in various fields which is also what I base my judgments on, not a guess like most.
Most people are not 'guessing' either. Stop thinking your opinions are more valid than those of others! Many, many of us on here have also lived in London - so what?

OK, I'm now undecided as to whether you are just plain arrogant or a troll.
Old May 18th 2009, 5:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

Iain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond repute

I agree there is definitely an air of negativity on this forum - is it because that we feel that when we comment and others don't agree with what we say we take it as a personal attack? I know I have felt that way at times and there are some really petty comments sometimes!

I agree we should all agree to disagree...
My psychobabble take on this (analysing my own posting history, before anyone gets defensive) is that there are few bolder decisions one can take in life than to uproot and move countries (whether outbound or returning).

As a result there is an understandable need to justify said decision to both oneself and those around, and these reasons are usually based upon perception and experience, which are very personal things (although the broad themes are often shared). It's a natural tendency to assign these perceived characteristics to "the country", especially when things go wrong (either as a push from country x, or difficulty experienced in country y).

This leads to recurring clashes between incompatible viewpoints, especially from the various camps (outbound/pull, outbound/push, landed/happy, landed/sad, returning/pull, returning/push), which get extremely defensive extremely quickly. The best place to observe this is the MBTTUK hornet's nest.

The grass absolutely can be a whole lot greener. Often times I think a lot of it is down to the journey, rather than the destination; the motivation and impetus to change one's life for the better often goes a lot further than a new address.

Edit: having just seen the updated thread, I suspect we're heading for Locksville. Oh well
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lmartin999
Actually some of the opinions being expressed in this thread are what make me glad I am leaving the UK. However lightly disguised, comments from some posters are offensive and racist.
Offensive and racist people were the main reason we chose to leave the UK. Some posters are going to be in for a rude awakening unless they chose their Canadian destination very carefully indeed.

And, before anyone jumps on me, I am not saying everyone in the UK is offensive and racist - just a sufficient number to make life unpleasant.
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lmartin999
Might I suggest a moderator considers whether some action might be justified?
Might I suggest you use the 'report' button if you feel action needs to be taken against a specific post or poster? If you are offended by something and want action taken then report it and we will consider it.

Old May 18th 2009, 5:58 pm
Forum Regular

Fair point about the grammar and spelling, I am doing it on a blackberry the buttons are little.
Once again people are aiming it on one area, you really need to travel, even in the uk.
As for schools once again a opinion of your local area, my brother and mother are both teachers who have worked all over the uk, my brother works in Vietnam in a international school, read the blogs on the expat teachers, and see if the opinion of people who work in that field is the same.
This is one reason I am looking at leaving the uk, people seem to be very opinionated about certain subjects but have little or no professional knowledge and qualifications to back that up.

With the employment and company policy, if you work for a professional company that is CITB registered then you must know that you have to abide by the rules set by ACAS and the CIPD. Quite simply another case of someone talking about a subject they have no knowledge of.

So people come here and dont get free handouts, on what planet are you living? They lie about there qualifications, they are not checked then they go straight on benefits.

We are one of the only countries with a CITB system for tradesmen to check the certifications authenticity, unfortunatly it is bypassed when it comes to imigrants.

Do you understand the CITB and JIB certification for qualified tradesman, clearly not as the comment about their requirements are absurd. Why do you think the HSQE have to sweep sites for unqualified men.
Hence the CITB certification here, that is a good thing and hopefully helps in the long run.

In reality construction is only one field, my partner is CIPD qualified, and this skill set of labour is rife across the board relating to many different disciplines, the only people who dont agree with it have no professional accreditation (suprise).

Hmm yeh most people was the wrong word, but it is spreading, the recession has highlighted both good and bad in the quality of this countries workforce.
We dont make anything, we rely of shipping transport due to our geographical location to earn money.
Dagenham Fords is a fantastic example, a huge area designed to mass produces vehicles and in turn employment.
Due to the deteriorating quality, they took a massive financial blow and sent it to germany to rebuild the whole centre.
Thats what happens when the market looses faith in product quality, someone else will take it over.

How many times has this happened in the UK.

The legalities are complex but set as standard practice in the force, if a incident happens and it is claimed to be initiated by race, the call out time is cut back to 25minutes.
If the individual is caucasian and he claims that he has been racially attacked the chance of it being taken further than a verbal warning are minimal.
If on the other hand it has been claimed by a black or Asian person a criminal sentence will be delivered.
Like it or not, that is a fact.
This will only be resolved when people start employing solicitors to resolve such discrimination, I have dealt with this so many times on site where people have wanted to slack off and as soon as you question it you are being racist, it makes you scared to do your job.
I now have my own CIPD qualified employment lawer for my department as simular issues arrise with the current workforce..

What has this country come to......

I will say again people live in there little box and thats fine, but to have a opinion of the whole of the uk based on that shows the lack of common sense and education I speak off.

England is overcrowded the figures speak for themselves, people are negative, maybe some people smile not in London, Scotland, Nottingham to say a few.

Sometimes I break the mould and say good morning to people when I get a paper, only to see a horrified look like I had just shot there cat.

Katie seems to have been outside her postcode so she gets it, she probably also gets the pain of using a blackberry and commuting.
Spot on about central london, its a weird place I am still quite young and spend a lot of time in the gym looking after myself, and due to that everyone wants a fight, how unusual.

Dboy seems to understand, the bigger citys may be worse, but it is spreading.
Read the news outside of your local community, its a big world out there.
well said i agree
Old May 18th 2009, 6:00 pm
Just Joined

MR POT is an unknown quantity at this point

Get over yourself - you're a construction manager aren't you?!? Hardly a rare profession. And in fact, my husband did/does something very similar, and deals with different countries all the time (either consulting with their governments or speaking at international conferences etc) and different professions. Your role is far from unique and despite what you seem to think, does not give you any insights above anybody else. Learn some humility and you'll find that there are many others on this forum who have far more experience than you of occupations, other areas in the UK or other countries.

Most people are not 'guessing' either. Stop thinking your opinions are more valid than those of others! Many, many of us on here have also lived in London - so what?

OK, I'm now undecided as to whether you are just plain arrogant or a troll.
Actually there are only 290 chartered construction managers in the UK and I am one of them, not just some bloke who builds a few houses.
London eh are you mental, the point is taking peoples professional opinion on the state of country not where you live.

Once again a single opinion on where you live
Old May 18th 2009, 6:04 pm
Forum Regular

racism is another reason we left, i asked my 9yo what he had for dinner 1 day he said all he had was 1 small piece of pizza i asked him why he said he wanted a burger but they were halhal burgers and only for muslims which if you are a muslim you have a blue tray and you get better food he said he was going for the cheese but that was reseved for the hindus, when i complained to the head master he just said he can bring sandwiches, i suppose its religous discrimination not racism.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.