Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Why is childcare so expensive/hard to find?

Why is childcare so expensive/hard to find?

Old Nov 14th 2012, 6:37 pm
slanderer of the innocent

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Why is childcare so expensive/hard to find?

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
Do you also want the State to provide affordable builders, accountants, hairstylists, etc?

no.
Old Nov 14th 2012, 6:42 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Do you also want the State to provide affordable builders, accountants, hairstylists, etc?
Nice as a decent haircut is, its probably not an essential component to the growth and future viability of our society, not in the same way that kids are anyway

Given the demographics of Canada, the government would be well advised to do all it can to encourage more breeding.
Old Nov 14th 2012, 6:47 pm

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iaink
Nice as a decent haircut is, its probably not an essential component to the growth and future viability of our society, not in the same way that kids are anyway

Given the demographics of Canada, the government would be well advised to do all it can to encourage more breeding.
+1

That's apparently why some scandy countries are seeing higher birthrates.

I get the just-stay-home argument but clearly it's not that appealing, or practical, as a choice for many people or there wouldn't be this constant shortage of decent childcare. Society has changed. End of.
Old Nov 14th 2012, 7:01 pm
Slob

Souvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond repute

This is why daycare is heavily subsidised in Quebec. Educated mums here that want to work are more likely to spawn more kids (preferably white and franco), if they can go back to work and not have to fork out a fortune in daycare.
Old Nov 14th 2012, 7:09 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Again, I don't disagree. I just don't accept that a double income has magically become the norm in order to be able to afford to live. It has become the norm as people want more and more things.

If living on a single income became the norm, the cost of most things would have to reduce failing which people wouldn't be able to afford them. I am not advocating for women to remain at home, I am happy to accept that men should too.

I like the suggestion that society has changed end of. I don't see that at all. I see magazines telling people that they can have it all, and people buyinig into that, but I don't accept that everyone wants to work all hours and balance the home life too (again male or female). Clearly, they don't understand that they have no one but themselves to blame for needing to work all hours, but it is possible to live without doing so.
Old Nov 14th 2012, 7:26 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

I suspect the a double income has become the norm. The cost of living here seems to rise year on year far beyond most peoples wage increases, and most of the families I know have both parents working, pretty much out of necessity, not just to fund the more aspirational aspects of a dream lifestlye. They just want to have money to put kids in hockey for example. Most of the people I work with dont holiday overseas or have a garage full of motorised toys.

This is out in the boonies where property costs have not risen dramatically, lord knows what ordinary people in Vancouver have to do if they wish to have a family and a own a home.

Perhaps this in part explains the worrying debt levels in Canada.

Im guessing stats canada will have information on dual income family trends if anyone can be bothered.

Last edited by iaink; Nov 14th 2012 at 7:30 pm.
Old Nov 14th 2012, 7:27 pm

Well, you're making a moral judgement based on your perceptions. I don't agree with it so we'll just have to agree to disagree on WHY people need childcare. Do you agree there is demand for it though and that demand outstrips supply?
Old Nov 14th 2012, 7:28 pm

I suspect the a double income has become the norm. The cost of living here seems to rise year on year far beyond most peoples wage increases, and most of the families I know have both parents working, pretty much out of necessity, not just to fund the more aspirational aspects of a dream lifestlye. They just want to have money to put kids in hockey for example. Most of the people I work with dont holiday overseas or have a garage full of motorised toys.

This is out in the boonies where property costs have not risen dramatically, lord knows what ordinary people in Vancouver have to do if they wish to have a family and a own a home.

Wages need to rise, perhaps
Old Nov 14th 2012, 7:30 pm
Banned

Auld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ExKiwilass
I agree Lancaster but for a lot of people that's just too much money to pay for childcare, yet they have/want to work. In this country working also means, probably, access to extended health benefits, for instance, all those things that help keep a family relatively secure when the unexpected happens in Canada. The social safety net here is so weak.

There is a disconnect there though. Agreed.

I wish schools went 8-6. Or even 9-6. That would help.
I think I can state with a degree of certainty that you're not a teacher then?
Old Nov 14th 2012, 7:31 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Isn't it simply that the more one runs, the faster one has to?

How can the cost of living increase unless people are able to meet the increase? Why is real estate in Vancouver more expensive than in Winnipeg? If people didn't wish to live there, the cost of real estate would decrease wouldn't it?

The cost of items rises each year, as more people want more stuff. It cannot rise without the demand.
Old Nov 14th 2012, 7:31 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

Originally Posted by ExKiwilass
Wages need to rise, perhaps
That would just fuel inflation leading to a vicious circle and economic peril.
Old Nov 14th 2012, 7:32 pm

Originally Posted by Auld Yin
I think I can state with a degree of certainty that you're not a teacher then?
nope, happily. I didn't say teachers doing those hours though - I said schools.
Old Nov 14th 2012, 7:32 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

The cost of items rises each year, as more people want more stuff. It cannot rise without the demand.
Tell that to the hydro and heating oil companies...
Old Nov 14th 2012, 7:33 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Seems pretty easy to solve. Just make it easier for people to become child minders and let competition do the work.
Old Nov 14th 2012, 7:37 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

Isn't it simply that the more one runs, the faster one has to?
Thats not how distance runners work... father needs a slower pace, but your point has been lost on me Im afraid.

How can the cost of living increase unless people are able to meet the increase?
Its fed by the rising debt levels perhaps, or reduced or non existent savings

Why is real estate in Vancouver more expensive than in Winnipeg?
Because of outside speculative investment?

If people didn't wish to live there, the cost of real estate would decrease wouldn't it?
You would think. Im guessing people buy thinking it will continue to go up, or that its worth it for the weather.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.