Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Why can't I buy a sandwich here ?

Why can't I buy a sandwich here ?

Old Nov 23rd 2007, 12:11 am
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Why can't I buy a sandwich here ?

It may sound like BS, but it makes them serious money. One example I heard of was a major burger chain in the early 90s that was concerned about the fall in sales of their french fries. Market research discovered this was because consumers were becoming concerned that fried food was unhealthy and making them fat.

The answer? They re-named their regular fries as "small" fries. Same portion, same amount of unhealthy fat, but a 40% increase in sales.
Old Nov 23rd 2007, 12:21 am
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Or, to put it another way, We can see its BS when its not aimed at us. When it is aimed at us we don't even notice it.
Old Nov 23rd 2007, 12:21 am
BE Enthusiast

Pompeyboy has much to be proud ofPompeyboy has much to be proud ofPompeyboy has much to be proud ofPompeyboy has much to be proud ofPompeyboy has much to be proud ofPompeyboy has much to be proud ofPompeyboy has much to be proud ofPompeyboy has much to be proud ofPompeyboy has much to be proud ofPompeyboy has much to be proud ofPompeyboy has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Cyan
All I want is the option to buy a simple sandwich (and maybe a small packet of crisps/'chips') during my office lunch hour. I don't want a honking Godzilla sized sub where they ask you a 101 questions about types of meat, cheese, salads, dressings.......and make you feel self-conscious when you ask for 'tom-ato' instead of 'toma-toe'. No wonder people get fat here.

On days like this I miss M&S / Boots / Tesco etc.
I have decided to sod the sarnies and invited everyone to my house this Sunday evening for fish and chips followed by "Hot Fuzz" (the movie, not kinky stuff).. Proper fish and chips in newspaper sent over from Blighty..
Old Nov 23rd 2007, 12:24 am

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Pompeyboy
I have decided to sod the sarnies and invited everyone to my house this Sunday evening for fish and chips followed by "Hot Fuzz" (the movie, not kinky stuff).. Proper fish and chips in newspaper sent over from Blighty..
You could get into the Canadian spirit and watch the football game rather than a movie.

It's the Grey Cup this Sunday, the CFL version of the FA Cup.
Old Nov 23rd 2007, 12:26 am
Banned

startwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AdrianTO
And to answer your question as to why there are no sandwiches in stores, it is simply because there is no demand for it.

Canadians much prefer to eat crappy fast foods like hamburgers made from frozen hamburger patties at McDonalds. It is only very recently with the advent of Subways etc.. that "sandwiches" of any sort have start making any headway. Otherwise the focus is heavily on fried, fatty fast foods.. Sandwiches are not filling enough for them.
Adrian, you need to get out more. You seem to have a very narrow opinion and experience, of Canada. You tout so much stuff as fact, and show a total lack of knowledge of most of Canada and its inhabitants.
Old Nov 23rd 2007, 12:27 am
BE Enthusiast

Pompeyboy has much to be proud ofPompeyboy has much to be proud ofPompeyboy has much to be proud ofPompeyboy has much to be proud ofPompeyboy has much to be proud ofPompeyboy has much to be proud ofPompeyboy has much to be proud ofPompeyboy has much to be proud ofPompeyboy has much to be proud ofPompeyboy has much to be proud ofPompeyboy has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Steve_P
You could get into the Canadian spirit and watch the football game rather than a movie.

It's the Grey Cup this Sunday, the CFL version of the FA Cup.
I am sure you meant the CFL version of the local pub league Sunday Cup..
Old Nov 23rd 2007, 12:43 am

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Pompeyboy
I am sure you meant the CFL version of the local pub league Sunday Cup..

I meant what I said.

There's no need to be a jackass about it.

If you're not impressed fine, but don't demean it just because you don't either care or understand it.
Old Nov 23rd 2007, 12:47 am
BE Enthusiast

I meant what I said.

If you're not impressed fine, but don't demean it just because you don't either care or understand it.
Easy, of course I understand I once tried out as a kicker for The Dallas Cowboys believe it or not..its just that the Edmonton eskimos got knocked out so maybe I am a bit bitter...
Old Nov 23rd 2007, 12:53 am
BE Enthusiast

I meant what I said.

Just discussed it with the mob and we are going to do all three..The match, fish and chips and hot fuzz..didnt mean to sound flippant..
Old Nov 23rd 2007, 1:09 am
Now on Vancouver Island

Judy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JonboyE
Or, to put it another way, We can see its BS when its not aimed at us. When it is aimed at us we don't even notice it.
A profound observation.
Old Nov 23rd 2007, 3:10 am
Cynically amused.

dingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Biiiiink
I think the PC range is clearly taking its inspiration from British supermarkets... their own brand stuff looks more and more like Tesco/M&S every time I go. Perhaps it won't be long until they get round to sandwiches?!
OMG - it's not just me!! I thought I was suffering from some sort of delusion that the products and packaging were starting to look like Tesco and Asda! Now all they need is to taste the same, as I have to say the PC Vegetable Curry is pants, and pasta dishes do not have to be drowing in garlic to taste good!! I might just have to stay after all if they crack the taste barrier
Old Nov 23rd 2007, 3:53 am
Forum Regular

ManBearPig has a spectacular aura aboutManBearPig has a spectacular aura aboutManBearPig has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by Judy in Calgary
A profound observation.
yes everybody is open to some kind of marketing BS. I know I get lured into plenty of product choices which have even more BS than 'Italian Sausage'.

It doesn't bother me that we live in a total consumer world, except when people claim that we don't.
Old Nov 23rd 2007, 4:01 am
Forum Regular

Hart50 is an unknown quantity at this point

I find it rather amusing that Brits are complaining about the quality of food in Canada. I appreciate that the culinary scene has improved in Britain over the years but let's be clear, Britain will never be described as the height of culinary excellence. The advantage of living in Canada is that for the most part we have access to a vast array of culinary delights and the fact that one cannot get a cucumber sarnie is perhaps a good thing.
Old Nov 23rd 2007, 10:05 pm
Forum Regular

Raymate has much to be proud ofRaymate has much to be proud ofRaymate has much to be proud ofRaymate has much to be proud ofRaymate has much to be proud ofRaymate has much to be proud ofRaymate has much to be proud ofRaymate has much to be proud ofRaymate has much to be proud ofRaymate has much to be proud ofRaymate has much to be proud of

I love marmite, when you get older you can take more of it.

Years ago it was a very thin spread now I just cake it on

And now we have the squeezable Marmite... lets me put it on anything.... great

Anyway back to the OP question, yes I miss the lack of a nice sarnie, yes when I land I'm going to open a "Pret A Manger" now they have some nice sarnies

Last edited by Raymate; Nov 23rd 2007 at 10:08 pm.
Old Nov 23rd 2007, 10:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

Rob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Raymate
I love marmite, when you get older you can take more of it.

Years ago it was a very thin spread now I just cake it on

And now we have the squeezable Marmite... lets me put it on anything.... great

Anyway back to the OP question, yes I miss the lack of a nice sarnie, yes when I land I'm going to open a "Pret A Manger" now they have some nice sarnies
Now you're talking good sarnies!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.