Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

why buy "Made in China" ?

why buy "Made in China" ?

Old Mar 13th 2010, 2:09 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: why buy "Made in China" ?

I hope no one thinks I should not be invited to dinner for fear that I take home the silverware.
Are you free for dinner any time next week?
Old Mar 13th 2010, 2:20 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
Are you free for dinner any time next week?
I reckon so, and can bring forks.
Old Mar 13th 2010, 2:44 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
I reckon so, and can bring forks.
I just ask because C is off to Ingurland tomorrow and is flying BA. Now unfortunately her return date is right in the middle of the strike announced today. C'est la vie. But I may may need your pulled pork soon.
Old Mar 13th 2010, 2:48 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

I just ask because C is off to Ingurland tomorrow and is flying BA. Now unfortunately her return date is right in the middle of the strike announced today. C'est la vie. But I may may need your pulled pork soon.
Frozen pulled pork I have by the bucket load. New pulled pork may be a long time coming, that's not worth doing unless you have an army coming over.
Old Mar 13th 2010, 4:39 am

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

This might have been more seemly in a PM.
Old Mar 13th 2010, 5:02 am

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oink
This might have been more seemly in a PM.
Don't encourage them; I don't want to find 10 pages of low rent noel cowardian comments tomorrow.
Old Mar 13th 2010, 2:58 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute

The typical case there is that the provision of a computer related service is contracted out to an Indian firm on the basis of a reverse online auction, the cheapest bidder wins. The Indian firms typically don't have expertise in the subject technologies so what they do is to subcontract the very people made redundant by their winning the bid to do the work. The individuals are paid more as subcontractors than they were as employees. The whole thing works because the client is off the hook for the healthcare cost associated with having employees.
Have you seen the film "Outsourced"? It is, in a nutshell, the above. With some romantic fluff and colourful sets thrown in for good measure. A genteel observation of what you describe.
Old Mar 13th 2010, 3:08 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by ann m
Have you seen the film "Outsourced"? It is, in a nutshell, the above. With some romantic fluff and colourful sets thrown in for good measure. A genteel observation of what you describe.
I haven't seen the film but the process is so routine that it would draw me as much as a film called, "Getting the Bus to Work" or "Washing the Ceiling Fans in the Hope of Selling the House". I might even be more excited by the prospect of one called "Witholding Tax Considerations in the case of Support Payments to a non-Resident Former Spouse" if it was in IMAX and 3D.

Last edited by dbd33; Mar 13th 2010 at 3:11 pm.
Old Mar 13th 2010, 5:18 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute

I"Washing the Ceiling Fans in the Hope of Selling the House".
Oh, it's better than that .... but with similar levels of danger
Old Mar 13th 2010, 7:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

MarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alan2005
This is the paradox of the free market. Corporations want to drive costs down and so ultimately mechanise or offshore all their activities; however they then have no customers left to sell to.
There's no paradox. If workers in Scotland are no longer productive enough to justify paying them to shell prawns rather than shipping said prawns half way around the wall to pay someone who'll work for less, then either they need to increase productivity or find a more profitable line of work. Countries get rich by doing things that people in other countries want but can't do, not by artificially supporting business which costs more than it would elsewhere... protectionism may make you richer in the short term, but in the long term it's a fast track to poverty.

The problem the UK has is that taxes and regulations are so high that few companies wanting to start up in a new area of technology would be mad enough to do it there. If, say, you want to design new GM seeds using stem cell research (yeah, it's a contrived example) or build a new generation of small-scale nuclear reactors, would you set up in England or China?

Edit: for the record I generally try to avoid buying things that are made in China, but that's because so much of it is crap that's not worth even the discounted price. I'm sure that over time much of it will improve, particularly as the West does its best to reduce productivity with taxes and regulation.

Last edited by MarkG; Mar 13th 2010 at 7:23 pm.
Old Mar 13th 2010, 8:03 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MarkG
There's no paradox. If workers in Scotland are no longer productive enough to justify paying them to shell prawns rather than shipping said prawns half way around the wall to pay someone who'll work for less, then either they need to increase productivity or find a more profitable line of work. Countries get rich by doing things that people in other countries want but can't do, not by artificially supporting business which costs more than it would elsewhere... protectionism may make you richer in the short term, but in the long term it's a fast track to poverty.

The problem the UK has is that taxes and regulations are so high that few companies wanting to start up in a new area of technology would be mad enough to do it there. If, say, you want to design new GM seeds using stem cell research (yeah, it's a contrived example) or build a new generation of small-scale nuclear reactors, would you set up in England or China?

Edit: for the record I generally try to avoid buying things that are made in China, but that's because so much of it is crap that's not worth even the discounted price. I'm sure that over time much of it will improve, particularly as the West does its best to reduce productivity with taxes and regulation.
Yes, I know. I did say it wasn't valid. I kind of agree with your first paragraph - protectionism is only ever a short term solution to mitigate the transition of skills in the labour force.

The rest though, not sure. If I was setting up a bio-tech company then I would pick the UK over China because this is an area that the UK excels at and there is the expertise and infrastructure there already. You certainly wouldn't pick the US or Canada for your particular example because there are too many religious fruit-cakes.
Old Mar 13th 2010, 9:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

Partially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ann m
I've seen it and I thought it was quite good, although it did feature that actress who recently portrayed 'tara' on Coronation Street which did make it seem sort of strange. However, she was rather easy on the eyes
Old Mar 13th 2010, 10:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

MarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond repute

You certainly wouldn't pick the US or Canada for your particular example because there are too many religious fruit-cakes.
And in Britain there are too many 'environmental' and 'animal rights' fruit-cakes. Fear of progress is endemic across the West these days, but Britain seems to be far worse than most... any company wanting to do anything that the media could build up into the next 'GM scare' is doomed.
Old Mar 13th 2010, 10:18 pm

Originally Posted by MarkG
And in Britain there are too many 'environmental' and 'animal rights' fruit-cakes. Fear of progress is endemic across the West these days, but Britain seems to be far worse than most... any company wanting to do anything that the media could build up into the next 'GM scare' is doomed.
I think you over are over-stating it. There is plenty of this kind of research going on in the UK. The UK is rightly one of the worlds leaders in this industry.
Old Mar 13th 2010, 10:59 pm
Born again atheist

I think you over are over-stating it. There is plenty of this kind of research going on in the UK. The UK is rightly one of the worlds leaders in this industry.
I don't think Mr.G is the type to let a little fact derail his frothiness.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.