Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

why buy "Made in China" ?

why buy "Made in China" ?

Old Mar 13th 2010, 11:47 pm
BE Troll

Lord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: why buy "Made in China" ?

Originally Posted by Alan2005
Yes, I know. I did say it wasn't valid. I kind of agree with your first paragraph - protectionism is only ever a short term solution to mitigate the transition of skills in the labour force.

The rest though, not sure. If I was setting up a bio-tech company then I would pick the UK over China because this is an area that the UK excels at and there is the expertise and infrastructure there already. You certainly wouldn't pick the US or Canada for your particular example because there are too many religious fruit-cakes.
Supposing that there are more active Christians in NA and more home grown Muslim lunatics in the UK, what difference would it make as to where to set up a biotech company?

Last edited by Lord Vader; Mar 13th 2010 at 11:50 pm.
Old Mar 14th 2010, 12:50 am

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lord Vader
Supposing that there are more active Christians in NA and more home grown Muslim lunatics in the UK, what difference would it make as to where to set up a biotech company?
The example was stem cell research which is still very controversial in north america because of crazy christian fundamentalists (it is actually banned in several US states). These issues don't really exist in the UK (muslim extremists have other things on their plate I guess).

The point being you would start up a company like that where the research is legal, the infrastructure exists and you can get the people with the skills. The UK is such a place and China isn't (yet).

In terms on manufacturing, the UK is (or at least was - not got the latest figures) the worlds 6th largest exporter, and a good chunk of these exports are pharma and bio-tech. Not the most labour intensive industries perhaps, but highly skilled.
Old Mar 14th 2010, 4:16 am
BE Forum Addict

MarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond repute

The point being you would start up a company like that where the research is legal, the infrastructure exists and you can get the people with the skills. The UK is such a place and China isn't (yet).
Until the Daily Mail start a campaign against your evil genetically-modified products, which have DNA and atoms. As for building nukes, forget it.

And the best people will go to where they can do the best work.
Old Mar 14th 2010, 4:29 am

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MarkG
Until the Daily Mail start a campaign against your evil genetically-modified products, which have DNA and atoms. As for building nukes, forget it.

And the best people will go to where they can do the best work.
But that hasn't happened yet. Right now the UK is a world leader in bio-tech.
Old Mar 14th 2010, 5:06 pm
BE Troll

Lord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond repute

But that hasn't happened yet. Right now the UK is a world leader in bio-tech.
I figure Germany or the US would be the first choices though, I'm just saying,..
Old Mar 14th 2010, 6:18 pm

I figure Germany or the US would be the first choices though, I'm just saying,..
Stem cell research is illegal in Germany and much of the US.

Look, it wasn't me that picked that as an example and I'm sure that other area's of bio-tech could be done in the US, Germany or even Canada. I'm not even sure why I'm debating this - it is not my opinion that the UK punches above it's weight in the bio-tech and pharma industry - it is fact.

Last edited by Alan2005; Mar 14th 2010 at 6:24 pm.
Old Mar 14th 2010, 7:18 pm
BE Troll

Stem cell research is illegal in Germany and much of the US.

Look, it wasn't me that picked that as an example and I'm sure that other area's of bio-tech could be done in the US, Germany or even Canada. I'm not even sure why I'm debating this - it is not my opinion that the UK punches above it's weight in the bio-tech and pharma industry - it is fact.
I'm trolling the troll man.
Old Mar 14th 2010, 7:30 pm

I'm trolling the troll man.
pwned... grrr!
Old Mar 15th 2010, 10:53 am
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

pwned
Ok i've seen that spelling before. What does it mean?
Old Mar 15th 2010, 11:50 am
BE Enthusiast

Trophy is a glorious beacon of lightTrophy is a glorious beacon of lightTrophy is a glorious beacon of lightTrophy is a glorious beacon of lightTrophy is a glorious beacon of lightTrophy is a glorious beacon of lightTrophy is a glorious beacon of lightTrophy is a glorious beacon of lightTrophy is a glorious beacon of lightTrophy is a glorious beacon of lightTrophy is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by el_richo
Ok i've seen that spelling before. What does it mean?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pwn
Old Mar 15th 2010, 1:20 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Trophy
Well you learn something new every day.

Thanks for that.
Old Mar 15th 2010, 3:18 pm
Magnificently Withering

Oakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
What I do, that is what provides my primary income, is to write, or "employ" people to write, software products and sell them around the world. [...]
that's pretty much how I would describe what my organization does, except that I wouldn't need to put quote marks around the word "employ" since our 140,000-odd employees are all proper employees and all get a full benefits package.

I wrote a longer response, but it came across as a bit combative so I won't post it. Suffice to say that I would indeed take issue with your characterisation - if that was the way my employer did business I wouldn't be working here.

I would like to think that I could also be relied upon to leave the knives and forks behind when I dine - perhaps there's hope for us both yet?
Old Mar 15th 2010, 3:35 pm
Magnificently Withering

Oakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
No, you (not personally of course) move the work to where the people are cheaper. Not the same thing. And as a result, the people who used to do the job are SOL. This means that everybody else in a responsible country is faced with increased social costs. But so what? The profit is bigger for the multinational.
No back at you; increasingly it really is about the availability of qualified people at any price - labour cost doesn't come into it. It's always a bit of a numbers game when it comes to India: as one example, my company (and we're but one of many) recruited over 30,000 fresh graduates in computing and engineering disciplines last year. We could not possibly have fulfilled that recruitment need in North America, where as it is we hired a couple of thousand people last year.

In the same vein in this country we have been working with industry bodies, the Canadian government, and a number of University and College administrations, to advise on how to halt the staggering decline in enrollment for engineering and other technology degree courses in Canada.
True enough on the environment. A bit mealy mouthed on the bits & bytes. When the Breton Woods system came under assault, the internet wasn't even on the horizon. Please don't suggest that off-shoring is environmentally friendly. It's not.
I'm not that familiar with the background to the assault on the Bretton Woods agreement, but wasn't that to do with the US administration at the time deciding to decouple the dollar from gold? And the subsequent run on gold in London? Perhaps I misunderstand, but I don't quite see what that has to do with the internet or with outsourcing...

Again, perhaps I'm being dense, but why would it not be environmentally friendly to deliver a particular IT process from a building in India with less than half of the power (and therefore, broadly, carbon consumption) requirement of delivering the same service from a building in California?
Old Mar 15th 2010, 4:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

jimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oakvillian
No back at you; increasingly it really is about the availability of qualified people at any price - labour cost doesn't come into it. It's always a bit of a numbers game when it comes to India: as one example, my company (and we're but one of many) recruited over 30,000 fresh graduates in computing and engineering disciplines last year. We could not possibly have fulfilled that recruitment need in North America, where as it is we hired a couple of thousand people last year.

In the same vein in this country we have been working with industry bodies, the Canadian government, and a number of University and College administrations, to advise on how to halt the staggering decline in enrollment for engineering and other technology degree courses in Canada.

I'm not that familiar with the background to the assault on the Bretton Woods agreement, but wasn't that to do with the US administration at the time deciding to decouple the dollar from gold? And the subsequent run on gold in London? Perhaps I misunderstand, but I don't quite see what that has to do with the internet or with outsourcing...

Again, perhaps I'm being dense, but why would it not be environmentally friendly to deliver a particular IT process from a building in India with less than half of the power (and therefore, broadly, carbon consumption) requirement of delivering the same service from a building in California?
If engineering/technology graduates in the west have to compete with graduates in India where wages are far lower why would any sensible school leaver go into that business if there are better options?

The company I used to work for in the UK, like most, has offices in India where design work is sent to for financial reasons. Work is still being sent to India despite redundancies in the UK. No doubt it is more profitable for the company to do that.
Old Mar 15th 2010, 4:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

jimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
Ah thanks for that. Earlier I was searching for a link to a similar case in Germany a few years ago. There's a thriving shrimping fleet on the North Sea Coast of Friesland and up until a while ago many local women were employed in the peeling sheds. But then the multinational involved in providing peeled shrimps to market figured out it would be more profitable to load them into refrigerated trucks and drive them via Spain to Morocco where the labour costs where cheaper.

Then they drove them back to Germany for sale.

MNC's bottom line up a smidgen, so A-OK. Environmental costs and social costs resulting from a bunch of unemployed Friesians not their problem of course.

Way to go globalizers.

Edit: I shall be very annoyed if anyone tries to be funny about local women employed in peeling shops.
I was talking to someone at work from Holland about these sorts of issues recently. He mentioned a shrimp peeling operation which sounds like the one you've described.

Governments do seem to be relying on the "entrepreneurs" to be able to set up businesses which provide the new employment but the reality is that doesn't seem to be happening. Labour do a lot of talking about encouraging entrepreneurship and people starting their own businesses but in reality it seems to amount to school leavers setting up a pizza delivery shop.

That said some countries do export successfully to China. I read somewhere that Germany and Japan are successful in exporting the equipment used to manufacture the plastic toys etc that China exports. When the UK "exports" such equipment it is done rather differently - dismantling of the MG production line to send to China and the cranes from the shipyards in Wallsend to send to India.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.