Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Who's Looking to move to NS?

Wikiposts

Who's Looking to move to NS?

Old Apr 13th 2009, 8:00 pm
Forum Regular

Upupandaway is just really niceUpupandaway is just really niceUpupandaway is just really niceUpupandaway is just really niceUpupandaway is just really niceUpupandaway is just really niceUpupandaway is just really niceUpupandaway is just really nice
Smile Who's Looking to move to NS?

Hi everyone,

My wife and I have a recce booked for September (only 1 week unfortunately) and are planning to visit as much of NS as possible (Halifax , Lunenburg, Wolfville, Truro...) to try and get a feel for where we would want to relocate to as this will be a defining factor in where we will target our job hunting, etc and, ultimately, which route we go down in terms of immigration (TWP, PNP Skilled Worker or CI).

We are only in the early stages of looking at the immigration process and relocating to NS but we have managed to make contact with a few people in NS, notably Mike and Orla at UK2NovaScotia and Corey Pickens (Lunenburg RDA). However, we are really looking to get in touch with people who are at a similar stage to ourselves, or have completed the move fairly recently, so as we can interogate them and compare war stories!! So if there's anyone out there who wants to share their experiences just let me know.

Thanks!!
Old Apr 13th 2009, 8:05 pm
Citizenship Nov 10 2016!!

nikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Who's Looking to move to NS?

Hi

We move to NS on the 9th June having completed PR process through the CI Stream. We are moving to just south of Truro, if I can help with any info, please let me know

Good luck
Old Apr 13th 2009, 9:33 pm
Forum Regular

Upupandaway is just really niceUpupandaway is just really niceUpupandaway is just really niceUpupandaway is just really niceUpupandaway is just really niceUpupandaway is just really niceUpupandaway is just really niceUpupandaway is just really nice

Thanks Nikki.

How did you find the CI route. The more I read about it the more I get confused. I go from one extreme to the other in that one minute I think it looks fairly straight forward then I'll read another post and it confuses the hell out of me.

Corey Pickens from Luneneburg RDA has asked we supply him with a resume, a letter of intent and proof of funds. I know this is standard for the CI stream but I don't really see how I can write a letter of intent if i've never even visited the province let alone the region.

Still, I will battle on and continue reading and by the time September swings around I might just have got it!!
Old Apr 13th 2009, 9:59 pm
Forum Regular

rickuk is a jewel in the roughrickuk is a jewel in the roughrickuk is a jewel in the roughrickuk is a jewel in the rough

Hi,

We are moving over on the 28th, not too far away from Nikki....just south of Truro.We have done this via the TWP route as i was offered a job there.

Depending on what type of lifestyle you live or want to live, be it city, rural or coastal NS can provide it and to some extent all 3 together !! so well worth a recci or 2 so you can experience all NS has to offer. Try the different seasons too ie Summer and Winter.

Richard & Natalie
Old Apr 13th 2009, 10:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

Arris has a reputation beyond reputeArris has a reputation beyond reputeArris has a reputation beyond reputeArris has a reputation beyond reputeArris has a reputation beyond reputeArris has a reputation beyond reputeArris has a reputation beyond reputeArris has a reputation beyond reputeArris has a reputation beyond reputeArris has a reputation beyond reputeArris has a reputation beyond repute

Hubby & I are going to be booking a recce trip for Sept/Oct for a couple of weeks - really looking forward to it
Old Apr 13th 2009, 11:06 pm
Forum Regular

hepburn has a brilliant futurehepburn has a brilliant futurehepburn has a brilliant futurehepburn has a brilliant futurehepburn has a brilliant futurehepburn has a brilliant futurehepburn has a brilliant future

Hi
We have just got back from Halifax. It was absolutely fantastic and we can't wait to make the move. We applied for PR 18 months ago and are initially going on my Student Visa. Just waiting now for our house in the UK to sell, which is a little depressing.
Lisa
Old Apr 13th 2009, 11:07 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by rickuk
Hi,

We are moving over on the 28th, not too far away from Nikki....just south of Truro.We have done this via the TWP route as i was offered a job there.

Depending on what type of lifestyle you live or want to live, be it city, rural or coastal NS can provide it and to some extent all 3 together !! so well worth a recci or 2 so you can experience all NS has to offer. Try the different seasons too ie Summer and Winter.

Richard & Natalie
Thanks guys.

Excellent news on the job offer. On this topic, how/when did you get your job offer? Was it whilst you were on a recce or did you manage to organise it from the UK? This is another thing I struggle to comprehend, I've read on here that some people get their job offers then don't land in NS til 3-6months later and I can't see why an employer would be willing to wait that long to fill a position. Sorry for all the questions!!

We will definitley be trying different seasons so as we can get the 'full picture'. I realise that it might be colder during winter (and that winter lasts longer than the UK) but if there is a trade off for more reliable summers (doesn't rain ALL the time!) along with a better, safer standard of living then I guess thats the decision we've got to make.

Old Apr 13th 2009, 11:10 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Arris
Hubby & I are going to be booking a recce trip for Sept/Oct for a couple of weeks - really looking forward to it
We can't wait either. I'm almost looking forward to it more than holiday I'm going on in 10days!!

Where are you thinking of relocating to?
Old Apr 13th 2009, 11:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

deanjp32 is just really nicedeanjp32 is just really nicedeanjp32 is just really nicedeanjp32 is just really nicedeanjp32 is just really nicedeanjp32 is just really nicedeanjp32 is just really nicedeanjp32 is just really nice

Hi,

We have been here a year at the end of April although we only did the landing on Saturday. We came through the CI route also but did it from within. It took exactly 9 months from start to the end of the CI process, could of been quicker though!!

If you need any info on area's north of Truro then feel free to ask
Old Apr 13th 2009, 11:38 pm
Forum Regular

rickuk is a jewel in the roughrickuk is a jewel in the roughrickuk is a jewel in the roughrickuk is a jewel in the rough

Hi,
Don't worry about asking questions...this is what the site is here for.

I got offered a few jobs by applying from here in the UK. Basically phoning and emailing companies. Nova Scotia was the place we most wanted to be having spent so much time there in the past, so took the job I was offered there.
From job offer to landing will have been 4 months in total and I have 6 weeks over there to settle in before I start work.
Employers over there will wait for you because they need you and know the process...good things are worth waiting for !!
Coming over to experience the cold is not exactly what I meant but if you don't like the cold or snow...don't bother. Coming over in the winer enables you to see what goes on at this time of year...and to show that Canada does not close when it snows(might have the odd power cut) unlike the UK.
Crime is all over the world including NS, but it's not so much in your face as it is in the UK. Crime rate in NS is very low though and people generally feel very safe and secure.
There are 6 of us and our dog going over and it has been hard work organising everything and doubts always creep up in your head, but sometimes you have to follow your dreams and do what you think is best for your family.
Money is not great for everyone there, food can be expensive but life is 100% better for all !!
Old Apr 14th 2009, 12:07 am
BE Forum Addict

Arris has a reputation beyond reputeArris has a reputation beyond reputeArris has a reputation beyond reputeArris has a reputation beyond reputeArris has a reputation beyond reputeArris has a reputation beyond reputeArris has a reputation beyond reputeArris has a reputation beyond reputeArris has a reputation beyond reputeArris has a reputation beyond reputeArris has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Upupandaway
We can't wait either. I'm almost looking forward to it more than holiday I'm going on in 10days!!

Where are you thinking of relocating to?
Originally we were looking to settle in Alberta but we feel Nova Scotia is more suitable for us.

We're hoping to live semi rural with 1-2 acres (i'm into dog agility - so need some space) hubby would like even more!.

We like the look of Porters Lake area (plus a friend already lives there ) but we're going to travel around & get a feel for Nova Scotia & the different regions & also get an idea with regards to work.
Old Apr 14th 2009, 12:27 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by rickuk
Hi,
Don't worry about asking questions...this is what the site is here for.

I got offered a few jobs by applying from here in the UK. Basically phoning and emailing companies. Nova Scotia was the place we most wanted to be having spent so much time there in the past, so took the job I was offered there.
From job offer to landing will have been 4 months in total and I have 6 weeks over there to settle in before I start work.
Employers over there will wait for you because they need you and know the process...good things are worth waiting for !!
Coming over to experience the cold is not exactly what I meant but if you don't like the cold or snow...don't bother. Coming over in the winer enables you to see what goes on at this time of year...and to show that Canada does not close when it snows(might have the odd power cut) unlike the UK.
Crime is all over the world including NS, but it's not so much in your face as it is in the UK. Crime rate in NS is very low though and people generally feel very safe and secure.
There are 6 of us and our dog going over and it has been hard work organising everything and doubts always creep up in your head, but sometimes you have to follow your dreams and do what you think is best for your family.
Money is not great for everyone there, food can be expensive but life is 100% better for all !!
It's not that I don't like the cold but more that I dislike the lack of decent weather in NE Scotland. Think the last 3-4 summers have had about 2 weeks of sun each year and because you can't predict when its going to be (anytime from May to September) I always end up working and unable to take advantage! :curse:

Too be honest, the lure of NS, for me, is more to do with the sense of community, invlovement and a slower pace of life (or so i'm lead to believe!).

I know there's crime everywhere and, too be honest, its really not that bad where I am just now but I am more p**sed off with the complete lack of respect from kids these days and you just don't know what they are going to do. I make it sound like i'm a pensioner, complaining about the 'youth of today' but I'm only 30 so I was one of them not that long ago but I never kicked peoples cars when they were driving past, stood in the middle of the road and refused to move for an oncoming car or threatened to stab someone for getting told to stop throwing rocks at a dog (yes, i have experienced all of these!!). Its these things I just want to get away from as I will end up being arrested or worse when I eventually lose my rag with one of these little b***ards! OK i'll get off my high horse now!

Good to hear about your (successful) job hunting experience and it makes me feel a little better that companies in NS are willing to make the effort to get the person they want as the majority of the time it just wouldn't happen in the UK. Sadly, always the quick fix.
Old Apr 14th 2009, 12:29 am
BE Forum Addict

Silverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond repute

Been here 12 months and settled really well, approx 2 hours from Halifax and 1 hour from Moncton but no problems buying locally. Have 18 acres land so plenty of room for our 4 dogs and a house which we couldn't afford back in the UK

All in all a very good move as far as we are concerned
Old Apr 14th 2009, 12:39 am
BE Enthusiast

AdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to behold

Well, after 3 months here in Toronto, trying, vainly, for work (and eventual PR) on the LMO/TWP route, I have come to the conclusion that NS looks like a better deal for getting what I want for me and mine.

So, I have decided to move to Truro at the beginning of June, contact the RDA, begin the process of community integration and begin future-building. It's always encouraging to hear of folk who are facing their changes with a positive attitude and I hope to be able to meet some of you very soon.
Old Apr 14th 2009, 6:24 am
Forum Regular

Thumbs up Re: Who's Looking to move to NS?

Originally Posted by AdrianR
Well, after 3 months here in Toronto, trying, vainly, for work (and eventual PR) on the LMO/TWP route, I have come to the conclusion that NS looks like a better deal for getting what I want for me and mine.

So, I have decided to move to Truro at the beginning of June, contact the RDA, begin the process of community integration and begin future-building. It's always encouraging to hear of folk who are facing their changes with a positive attitude and I hope to be able to meet some of you very soon.

Hey AdrianR,

What was it about Toronto that didn't tick the box for you and why do you think NS is a better deal?

We initially thought of going to Vancouver after spending a couple of weeks there and loved it, however, it was the draw of the people/attitude/culture of NS that has turned our heads.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.