Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Who should I inform that I have left the UK?

Who should I inform that I have left the UK?

Old Apr 7th 2010, 5:40 pm
Welsh Canadian

jarman is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Who should I inform that I have left the UK?

Hi everyone,
Just joined the site today. Been in Canada for just over two months. This may sound a silly question, but who you should be telling that you have left or are leaving the UK??
I went through a lawyer to get to Canada, and would have thought that they would have given some sort of list of people/companies/etc. to contact giving information regarding my leaving, but didn't get anything.
I've since had a tax problem and had to contact HMRC who have now sent me forms to claim tax back!! Never knew about this.
I've contacted the Student Loans Company so they know where I am, but am not sure of who else I should be telling.
Any help is very welcome,
Thanks.
Old Apr 7th 2010, 5:49 pm
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Who should I inform that I have left the UK?

This may help...

http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Departure_To_Do_List

The tax man would be the main one.

Last edited by iaink; Apr 8th 2010 at 1:15 pm.
Old Apr 7th 2010, 8:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

AdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to behold

When I left the UK for Mexico, some 7 years ago, I didn't tell anyone - just closed off all utility and mortgage accounts and gave my solicitor power of attorney to sell the flat and transfer the money.

The only question I answered was from the bank (First Direct), "For what purpose are you transferring more than ten-thousand pounds out of the UK?"
My answer, "For cough" - the bank clerk laughed at that but didn't press the matter so I can only assume that's what she wrote on the government reporting form!
Old Apr 8th 2010, 12:06 am

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jarman
This may sound a silly question, but who you should be telling that you have left or are leaving the UK??
Your parents. girlfriend or wife (or both), children?
Old Apr 8th 2010, 1:53 am
Banned

Auld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond repute

Someone who really gives a shit, if such a person exists.
Old Apr 9th 2010, 1:56 am
Welsh Canadian

jarman is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by The Aviator
Your parents. girlfriend or wife (or both), children?
I moved to be with the girlfriend so she knew about it!! Lol!!
Old Apr 10th 2010, 11:28 am
Forum Regular

Flyingscottie is just really niceFlyingscottie is just really niceFlyingscottie is just really niceFlyingscottie is just really niceFlyingscottie is just really niceFlyingscottie is just really niceFlyingscottie is just really niceFlyingscottie is just really niceFlyingscottie is just really niceFlyingscottie is just really niceFlyingscottie is just really nice

Originally Posted by iaink
This may help...

http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Departure_To_Do_List

The tax man would be the main one.
Great thanks!