Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Who hates BUNAC and who loves BUNAC?

Who hates BUNAC and who loves BUNAC?

Old Mar 25th 2009, 10:16 pm
Bring on the snow!

Rob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Who hates BUNAC and who loves BUNAC?

BUNAC rule

I can't imagine anyone would hate BUNAC - definitely the easiest Canadian work visa you'll ever get!
Old Mar 26th 2009, 2:58 pm
Just Joined

BetMiddler is an unknown quantity at this point

thanks Live 2 ski, thats exactly what i was looking for. every1 is willing to help but no1 really has a strong opinion or any opinion on the resorts. well i can tell you that from your account whistler isnt what i want, im looking for good sno and a relaxed atmosphere. money isnt in masses either so somewhere cheaper is good!
ive never skied befor but im a quick learner and will be looking for as much time on the slopes as possible.
thanks for your help, any more info will be lapped up!
cheers
matt
Old Mar 27th 2009, 7:11 am
BE Enthusiast

phat-dave is a splendid one to beholdphat-dave is a splendid one to beholdphat-dave is a splendid one to beholdphat-dave is a splendid one to beholdphat-dave is a splendid one to beholdphat-dave is a splendid one to beholdphat-dave is a splendid one to beholdphat-dave is a splendid one to beholdphat-dave is a splendid one to beholdphat-dave is a splendid one to beholdphat-dave is a splendid one to behold

I'll be arriving on the Australian equivalent - WHPCANADA - two years of goodness renewable until aged 31... how could one not love these programs?

I am sh1t scared of not being able to get a job though ... we're going to try and get "proper" jobs first but failing that will take anything!

In fact, only an hour ago I booked our flights... yeehaa
Old Mar 27th 2009, 8:44 am
Forum Regular

kancell will become famous soon enoughkancell will become famous soon enough

strange that oz residents can get 2 years, whilst Uk can only get 1 year...... well without applying for student then non student visa's
Old Mar 27th 2009, 9:20 am
BE Enthusiast

phat-dave is a splendid one to beholdphat-dave is a splendid one to beholdphat-dave is a splendid one to beholdphat-dave is a splendid one to beholdphat-dave is a splendid one to beholdphat-dave is a splendid one to beholdphat-dave is a splendid one to beholdphat-dave is a splendid one to beholdphat-dave is a splendid one to beholdphat-dave is a splendid one to beholdphat-dave is a splendid one to behold

us convict colonies stick together

the most interesting part of this visa is how you can continue to renew rather than the old "once in a lifetime" it used to be... ie: you could be 18 and continue to roll the visa over until youre 31.
Old Mar 27th 2009, 10:31 am
Just Joined

BetMiddler is an unknown quantity at this point

what!! you guys are v lucky! cant wait to get out there roll on october!!!!!!!!
Old Mar 27th 2009, 2:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

Little D has much to be proud ofLittle D has much to be proud ofLittle D has much to be proud ofLittle D has much to be proud ofLittle D has much to be proud ofLittle D has much to be proud ofLittle D has much to be proud ofLittle D has much to be proud ofLittle D has much to be proud ofLittle D has much to be proud ofLittle D has much to be proud of

We came over on BUNAC while our SW application was in process. It enabled us to move over here a year before we would have done otherwise.

Bunac gets a big thumbs up from us!!
Old Mar 27th 2009, 6:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

live to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BetMiddler
thanks Live 2 ski, thats exactly what i was looking for. every1 is willing to help but no1 really has a strong opinion or any opinion on the resorts. well i can tell you that from your account whistler isnt what i want, im looking for good sno and a relaxed atmosphere. money isnt in masses either so somewhere cheaper is good!
ive never skied befor but im a quick learner and will be looking for as much time on the slopes as possible.
thanks for your help, any more info will be lapped up!
cheers
matt

You're welcome. I totally know what you mean about people's opinions. I think it is easier to ask what they would do (e.g. Whistler or other resort) and why they would choose that to really get under their skin to get a real idea of the issues.

Please feel free to PM me if you want any more of my "opinions" on ski resorts!!

These websites are pretty good at giving some additional info on areas. http://www.britishcolumbia.com/regio...s/?townID=3493 and http://www.hellobc.com/TBCCW/Activity/100453.htm. They are on Fernie but do searches for other resorts too.

This one will at least list the ski resorts of BC for you to research more http://www.wilhelmus.ca/2007/11/gott..._applicat.html

The real bonus to working one of the smaller resorts is that when you go back from, the real keen UK skiers will have serious respect for you, rather than following the pack to Whistler!

Only other thing I can think of at present is (assuming you are on a fairly limited budget) to buy a cheapish pair of beginner / intermedate skies , possibly even second hand when you first get out here, then depending on how well you do, upgrade during the season as you get better. You're also more likely to get a better deal on a decent pair as you will hopefully know people who manage / own the shop once you've been there a while and also they start reducing the prices.
Old Mar 27th 2009, 10:38 pm
Forum Regular

MR MOM will become famous soon enoughMR MOM will become famous soon enough

Phat-dave are you talking about the 1 year UK BUNAC visa? Can you reapply at the end for the next year and continue your stay then? or am I confused here?
Old Mar 27th 2009, 10:47 pm
Forum Regular

ignore my last.The answer is no for non students, just found it on their site.Thanks.
Old Mar 27th 2009, 11:38 pm
Forum Regular

Has anybody here or does anybody know anyone who has had a BUNAC work visa but landed as a tourist for 6 months, gone to the states for a couple of days and then came back into Canada igniting their BUNAC work visa? , thus allowing 18 months in the country.
BUNAC say it can be done but gave out a cautionary note.....any views?
Old Mar 28th 2009, 12:18 am

ireland2canada is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by MR MOM
Has anybody here or does anybody know anyone who has had a BUNAC work visa but landed as a tourist for 6 months, gone to the states for a couple of days and then came back into Canada igniting their BUNAC work visa? , thus allowing 18 months in the country.
Yea, I just did that. Well, I arrived as a tourist with the intention of looking for work and using my Bunac visa. Job hunted for 4 weeks and got offered a job. I'm in Toronto so I got the bus to Niagara the weekend before I was due to start work. Went to the CBSA office, crossed the Rainbow Bridge on foot and entered the US, walked back to Canada and was issued with my work permit. All very easy and straightforward, it would be the same process if you wanted to spend a few days in the US.

I ran the idea past Bunac who advised me at the time that this was not a good idea at all, that my work permit would be 'activated' as soon as I entered Canada and that your year starts from that date anyway. This is, of course, complete rubbish. I chatted with the Immigration guy at the airport and he said this course of action is quite normal. Why not buy yourself some additional time? You don't want to waste your working visa when you don't have a job.

So anyway, it's all straightforward enough. Go for it and best of luck.
Old Mar 28th 2009, 12:53 am
Forum Regular

Thanks a bunch. Its for my son who is coming out in june and wants to enjoy himself this summer before starting work.I guess it also means that he will be working a full year so will eventually help with the immigration process should he decide to do so.Thanks again.
Old Mar 28th 2009, 10:00 am
Forum Regular

kancell will become famous soon enoughkancell will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by MR MOM
Originally Posted by ireland2canada
Yea, I just did that. Well, I arrived as a tourist with the intention of looking for work and using my Bunac visa. Job hunted for 4 weeks and got offered a job. I'm in Toronto so I got the bus to Niagara the weekend before I was due to start work. Went to the CBSA office, crossed the Rainbow Bridge on foot and entered the US, walked back to Canada and was issued with my work permit. All very easy and straightforward, it would be the same process if you wanted to spend a few days in the US.

I ran the idea past Bunac who advised me at the time that this was not a good idea at all, that my work permit would be 'activated' as soon as I entered Canada and that your year starts from that date anyway. This is, of course, complete rubbish. I chatted with the Immigration guy at the airport and he said this course of action is quite normal. Why not buy yourself some additional time? You don't want to waste your working visa when you don't have a job.

So anyway, it's all straightforward enough. Go for it and best of luck.
whoa, this is a bit of a news flash to me! thats sounds like a good idea. so just to confirm, you came into the country as a tourist, job hunted for 4 weeks as a tourist, once you got a job you went to USA then back to Canada and upon going back into Canada you then activated your work permit?! in effect giving you 4 weeks more time in Canada? cheers!
Old Mar 28th 2009, 5:39 pm
Banned

Auld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kancell
strange that oz residents can get 2 years, whilst Uk can only get 1 year...... well without applying for student then non student visa's
We're hoping they will bring sun. We all know about UK weather and that we do not need, lol.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.