Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Who hates BUNAC and who loves BUNAC?

Who hates BUNAC and who loves BUNAC?

Old Mar 28th 2009, 7:31 pm

ireland2canada is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Who hates BUNAC and who loves BUNAC?

Originally Posted by MR MOM
Thanks a bunch. Its for my son who is coming out in june and wants to enjoy himself this summer before starting work.I guess it also means that he will be working a full year so will eventually help with the immigration process should he decide to do so.Thanks again.
You are welcome!

Originally Posted by kancell
whoa, this is a bit of a news flash to me! thats sounds like a good idea. so just to confirm, you came into the country as a tourist, job hunted for 4 weeks as a tourist, once you got a job you went to USA then back to Canada and upon going back into Canada you then activated your work permit?! in effect giving you 4 weeks more time in Canada? cheers!
Yes, that pretty much sums it up. I had no clue how long it would take to find a job (I anticipated longer than 4 weeks that's for sure!) and I didn't want to waste my visa period on non-working time.

I explained this to the immigration guy at the airport....that I wished to enter as a tourist, that I intended to look for work (but not do any work) and that I would like to collect my work permit at the border whenever a job had been organised. He had heard it all before and gave me 6 months as a visitor. It all makes perfect sense in light of the fact that we only get 12 months on a Bunac visa.

Hope that helps!
Old Mar 28th 2009, 10:08 pm
Just Joined

BetMiddler is an unknown quantity at this point

Big up live2ski and ireland2canada your living the dream, good luck to MR MOM and kancell.
Thanks for all ya help people.
Will definatly be posting once i have more experience and helping people like people have helped me.
cheers from your extremely excited welsh friend.
Matt
Old Mar 30th 2009, 12:00 pm
Forum Regular

Rodge9 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ireland2canada
You are welcome!

Yes, that pretty much sums it up. I had no clue how long it would take to find a job (I anticipated longer than 4 weeks that's for sure!) and I didn't want to waste my visa period on non-working time.

I explained this to the immigration guy at the airport....that I wished to enter as a tourist, that I intended to look for work (but not do any work) and that I would like to collect my work permit at the border whenever a job had been organised. He had heard it all before and gave me 6 months as a visitor. It all makes perfect sense in light of the fact that we only get 12 months on a Bunac visa.

Hope that helps!
Woah yes this is very interesting indeed, and as long as it's perfectly above board -which as you've confirmed, it is - then I'll be looking to do this too then I think. So spend my job-hunting weeks in Vancouver, then when I've found one, or on the 31st Jan, (whichever is sooner) take a weekend trip to Seattle or somewhere and then activate my work visa on my return . Think I'll ask the CHC about this too just to be absolutely sure. One thing though - when you were applying for jobs, didn't the companies/agencies ask to see your Work Visa and were you able to just show them the letter instead? As I remember when I went to my orientation session the guy actually said something like 'having the visa doesn't stop you working in Canada, just getting paid', so that would seem to imply as much. What about SIN and bank account?
Old Mar 31st 2009, 1:23 am

ireland2canada is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Rodge9
Woah yes this is very interesting indeed, and as long as it's perfectly above board -which as you've confirmed, it is - then I'll be looking to do this too then I think. So spend my job-hunting weeks in Vancouver, then when I've found one, or on the 31st Jan, (whichever is sooner) take a weekend trip to Seattle or somewhere and then activate my work visa on my return . Think I'll ask the CHC about this too just to be absolutely sure. One thing though - when you were applying for jobs, didn't the companies/agencies ask to see your Work Visa and were you able to just show them the letter instead? As I remember when I went to my orientation session the guy actually said something like 'having the visa doesn't stop you working in Canada, just getting paid', so that would seem to imply as much. What about SIN and bank account?
Yep, all perfectly above board.

The more I applied for jobs and did interviews the more I appreciated that managers do not have any real understanding of the whole visa/immigration process. So I went for the simplest approach - I told them that I had a visa allowing me to work which had been arranged before I left home, and that once I had been offered a job I would be able to go to Service Canada and pick up my SIN.

Really, the less detail the better. And for me, it paid off. The hiring manager was happy enough so long as I brought my SIN with me on my first day. The only people so far who have wanted to see my visa were the bank.

It went something like this.....

Wednesday - Offered job
Saturday - Went to border & got work permit
Sunday - Opened bank account & got SIN
Monday - Started work

Hope that helps.