Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Where to start?

Where to start?

Old Dec 22nd 2010, 12:29 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Where to start?

Originally Posted by Couture
Like everything in life, I guess theres no sensible option to apply for a job, get permission to do that job and apply for permanent residence whilst there.
There is, but by the time you've found a job, the employer has applied for the LMO and then you've got the TWP, you're probably looking at at least 6 months anyway. And that's if you can find a job straight away.

As Alan has said, the waiting time for a FSW visa used to be 4 or 5 years, so a year is actually quite quick in immigration terms! There are people who applied in 2007 who are still waiting for PR on this forum.

Originally Posted by Alan2005
On the topic of consultants. You probably don't need one. The forms are simple and the supporting documentation is mostly easy to get (well depending on how easy police certs are to get from the countries you've lived in - but a lawyer isn't going to help you with that anyways).
Just for anybody reading, any decent consultant will sort all police checks out for you, it shouldn't be something a client has to do.

Old Dec 22nd 2010, 12:55 pm
Account Closed

Lorna999 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi guys

I have been posting in the UK forum lately but after receiving a job alert from Canada it got me to thinking, could my Mrs and I feasibly look at going to Canada instead?

With the UK now being shafted economically for the next couple of years I suspect we may be on the North American continent for a while (we are currently in México).

WE would like to answer our own questions but our problem is really simply where to begin. We are both architects and are finding it very tricky to find any job listings of substance. Normally they are out of date or there is a "must be canadian resident" clause for most ads.

Can anyone point us in the correct, or a better direction? We are looking at the Cities like Vancouver, Calgary, Toronto - the places which basically have a decent economy.

If anyone knows any agencies or has any useful info for us, it would be much appreciated.

Thanks

C.
Hi Guys, We moved to Halifax around 7 months ago. My husband Robert is an architect. I see you now may be staying in Mexico, but if you change your mind and need any more information we would be happy to help out with any answers. I know Halifax is a small town, but I guess the 'Canadian' process of registration etc, is the same.
Good luck with whatever you decide
Lorna
Old Dec 22nd 2010, 2:15 pm
Account Closed

Couture is an unknown quantity at this point

yup, like i say we are going to go down the FSW route, do it as by-the-book as possible and just try to ride out the year. Its pretty annoying though when you spend a whole day researching, emailing, taking calls on the subject etc and when things seem as clear as mud, the only other response you get is some profound sarcasm on a forum.

I found that fairly annoying.

Spoke to the Mrs last night, she is NOT a fan of moving within México. Looks like another tough year ahead for 2011.

thanks for your help all.
Old Dec 22nd 2010, 3:35 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

yup, like i say we are going to go down the FSW route, do it as by-the-book as possible and just try to ride out the year. Its pretty annoying though when you spend a whole day researching, emailing, taking calls on the subject etc and when things seem as clear as mud, the only other response you get is some profound sarcasm on a forum.

Spoke to the Mrs last night, she is NOT a fan of moving within México. Looks like another tough year ahead for 2011.

Don`t post on the forum then. I believe your own responses are hardly what I would call a shining example in how to win friends and influence people.

I wish you every success with your venture.
Old Dec 22nd 2010, 3:50 pm
Account Closed

Couture is an unknown quantity at this point

I wont, thanks.

For a so called epxats website, the bull**** dished out here is phenomenal. As for my own responses - you mean that ONE single response where I asked someone to stow the sarcasm?

hmmm... uhuh. Back to real life and face to face for me i guess, how dare I take insult to internet sarcasm.

Cheers for anyone who had anything constructive to say, as for this forum, I have to say with the attitude on here, I have met more helpful Narcos.

Last edited by christmasoompa; Dec 22nd 2010 at 5:33 pm. Reason: Profanity removed
Old Dec 22nd 2010, 3:58 pm
"In cruce vincam"

rivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond repute

It seems a little harsh to condemn the responses you have got because they are perhaps not what you wanted to hear. The plain fact is that the advice you have been given pretty accurately reflects your options.
Old Dec 22nd 2010, 3:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

rubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond repute

One sarcastic comment and you throw your toys out of the pram. You've had plenty of helpful advice there, too. My advice would be to take a moment to relax, this site will continue to give you advice if you're willing to nurture a sense of humour. You'll need patience to get through the process of applying for PR so you might as well settle in and get comfortable.
Old Dec 22nd 2010, 4:02 pm
"In cruce vincam"

rivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond repute

I wont, thanks.

For a so called epxats website, the bullshit dished out here is phenomenal. As for my own responses - you mean that ONE single response where I asked someone to stow the sarcasm?

hmmm... uhuh. Back to real life and face to face for me i guess, how dare I take insult to internet sarcasm.

Cheers for anyone who had anything constructive to say, as for this forum, I have to say with the attitude on here, I have met more helpful Narcos.
Bye
Old Dec 22nd 2010, 5:32 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

One slightly sarcastic response and you get upset like this?! You have received very helpful information, whether you are aware of it or not.

The nature of a public forum is that you have to take the rough with the smooth. You won't always get helpful responses, threads drift off topic, and there can be lots of typically British sarcasm in evidence, but that's just the way it goes. If you think anything crosses the 'banter' boundaries and breaks site rules then use the report button, that's what it's there for. The mods will then take any action necessary if it's genuine personal abuse (which it hasn't been thus far btw).

If you want professional advice, you'll have to pay for it. If not, then be prepared to have a sense of humour and be thankful when people have taken time to try and help you.

Last edited by christmasoompa; Dec 22nd 2010 at 5:34 pm.
Old Dec 24th 2010, 2:47 am
Soulless bureaucrat

Lemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond repute

Its pretty annoying though when you spend a whole day researching, emailing, taking calls on the subject etc and when things seem as clear as mud
I think its probably because you sound like you have a strong sense of entitlement that you're getting some abuse.

This may well not be the case, but getting peed off because you spent one day researching how to make a major life change like moving country sounds a little entitled, no?

I waited in a queue for three years, and spent god knows how long researching how I was going to make things work over here. This does not of course make me a hero. Many people do this.

It helps to bear in mind that in general Canada could really give a flying one about whether you apply or not. They have no obligation to take you or to make it easy to apply. Sad but true.

When you emigrate you are kind of like a beggar - you're the one holding out your hand and asking for something. It generally helps not to abuse the person who may give you some change.
Old Dec 24th 2010, 4:07 am
Just Joined

segan is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello everybody...I am sort of confused...i have a B.sc degree in economics and a NEBOSH general certificate..that all the educational qualification i have,i am a polish citizen and i dont need a visa to travel to canada..looking at the section for skilled workers in canada i dont seems to have a chance...cant i just simply travel to canada on a toursit visa and search for job and later obtain a permit to work there....how easy is it...please update me if you can..i do lack some information..thanks
Old Dec 27th 2010, 6:05 pm
"In cruce vincam"

Hi guys

I have been posting in the UK forum lately but after receiving a job alert from Canada it got me to thinking, could my Mrs and I feasibly look at going to Canada instead?

With the UK now being shafted economically for the next couple of years I suspect we may be on the North American continent for a while (we are currently in México).

WE would like to answer our own questions but our problem is really simply where to begin. We are both architects and are finding it very tricky to find any job listings of substance. Normally they are out of date or there is a "must be canadian resident" clause for most ads.

Can anyone point us in the correct, or a better direction? We are looking at the Cities like Vancouver, Calgary, Toronto - the places which basically have a decent economy.

If anyone knows any agencies or has any useful info for us, it would be much appreciated.

Thanks

C.
I kind of miss him....and his "Mrs".....
Old Dec 27th 2010, 6:06 pm
"In cruce vincam"

I wont, thanks.

For a so called epxats website, the bull**** dished out here is phenomenal. As for my own responses - you mean that ONE single response where I asked someone to stow the sarcasm?

Sorry - meant this quote
Old Dec 28th 2010, 2:35 am
Forum Regular

Dunstable Diva is just really niceDunstable Diva is just really niceDunstable Diva is just really niceDunstable Diva is just really niceDunstable Diva is just really niceDunstable Diva is just really niceDunstable Diva is just really niceDunstable Diva is just really niceDunstable Diva is just really niceDunstable Diva is just really niceDunstable Diva is just really nice

Have you seen the architecture in Canada. North America is so ugly. You need to get here quickly and give it a facelift!!!!!