Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Where in Nova Scotia

Where in Nova Scotia

Old Oct 17th 2008, 4:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

Silverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Where in Nova Scotia

Originally Posted by BristolUK
It sounds like you preferred Amherst over Truro before finding that requirement - the house/land/rural setting - or was your preference because that requirement was more prevalent in Amherst?

What else made Amherst more attractive for you?
I just loved the feel of the area, although we live outside Amherst (40km) I have found the friendliness brilliant (know it is the same for most of Canada) but did feel out of sorts in Truro, hard to describe but making such a life changing commitment we went with where I felt most comfortable. DH left it all to me as he would be working from home and isn't really a social animal and tends to stay at home unless I drag him out because he wants to buy a new toy for his workshop. The area we live in is only small with approx 24 neighbours but we all get along. We also have dogs so wanted land for then and did look at a house in Truro with nearly 100 acres of land but the house would need a lot of work and didn't really have somewhere hubby could work from. Yes we have had a few issues mainly internet as we need satellite but eventually found a company that gives a better service and download to the original one we picked, so would say in general we are very happy with our choice
Old Oct 17th 2008, 4:53 pm
Nova Scotia

aid1970 is just really niceaid1970 is just really niceaid1970 is just really niceaid1970 is just really niceaid1970 is just really niceaid1970 is just really niceaid1970 is just really niceaid1970 is just really nice

Well when you come out, give us a bit of warning and we can all arrange a get together![/QUOTE]

That all sounds absolutely perfect, bit scary about the storms but not alot to put up with when you compare it to the benefits. We love snow so not too worried on that score, although Im sure that could wear off in time.

Yes will definitely get in touch before we come out and a meet up would be great as long as you are prepared to get a grilling No seriously thanks your info has been a great help.
Old Oct 17th 2008, 5:00 pm
Nova Scotia

aid1970 is just really niceaid1970 is just really niceaid1970 is just really niceaid1970 is just really niceaid1970 is just really niceaid1970 is just really niceaid1970 is just really niceaid1970 is just really nice

Originally Posted by Silverdragon102
I just loved the feel of the area, although we live outside Amherst (40km) I have found the friendliness brilliant (know it is the same for most of Canada) but did feel out of sorts in Truro, hard to describe but making such a life changing commitment we went with where I felt most comfortable. DH left it all to me as he would be working from home and isn't really a social animal and tends to stay at home unless I drag him out because he wants to buy a new toy for his workshop. The area we live in is only small with approx 24 neighbours but we all get along. We also have dogs so wanted land for then and did look at a house in Truro with nearly 100 acres of land but the house would need a lot of work and didn't really have somewhere hubby could work from. Yes we have had a few issues mainly internet as we need satellite but eventually found a company that gives a better service and download to the original one we picked, so would say in general we are very happy with our choice
Your husband sounds just like mine into his toys and gagdets and only going shopping if I say its something for him - Yes Im hoping like you we get there and find somewhere that feels right. We were looking at Truro but having read all the threads am definitely looking further a field. We are also looking to have a dog so will need a bit of space for that too. so much to think about!!!
Old Oct 17th 2008, 7:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

Silverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by aid1970
Your husband sounds just like mine into his toys and gagdets and only going shopping if I say its something for him - Yes Im hoping like you we get there and find somewhere that feels right. We were looking at Truro but having read all the threads am definitely looking further a field. We are also looking to have a dog so will need a bit of space for that too. so much to think about!!!
Well if you come up my way let me know and we can always get together
Old Oct 17th 2008, 9:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

Winston Green is just really niceWinston Green is just really niceWinston Green is just really niceWinston Green is just really niceWinston Green is just really niceWinston Green is just really niceWinston Green is just really niceWinston Green is just really niceWinston Green is just really niceWinston Green is just really niceWinston Green is just really nice
Smile Re: Where in Nova Scotia

Thanks for your reply. I was thinking of starting on my own in small engine repairs and servicing motor cars. What do you all think.
Hi You might consider this place MLS®: 40431637. You would hve a place to live and work on the same land. it is also on the ocean and near the local school.I pass it most days although it has been on the market for a while so may be open to offers.

just a thought.
Old Oct 18th 2008, 7:23 am
Nova Scotia

Originally Posted by Winston Green
Hi You might consider this place MLS®: 40431637. You would hve a place to live and work on the same land. it is also on the ocean and near the local school.I pass it most days although it has been on the market for a while so may be open to offers.

just a thought.
Looks good what is the area like.do you use them?.whats the weather like so close to the water.is the school a good onesorry for all the questions but we are keen to get out and sorted
Old Oct 18th 2008, 3:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

Corky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Winston Green

just a thought.

gee that is a nice looking house and a bonus being on the ocean....how nice. Lawrenctown isn't abad area, I would think the kids would be bused to school if they are in elementry school or high school for that matter.
Old Oct 18th 2008, 11:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

destinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Poppy2
I know Destinationnovascotia lives in Musqadobit (?sp) Harbour Musquodoboit sweetie....go to the back of the class and has a diect view of the Ocean, and is 40 minutes (you really have no idea how fast I drive do you?) away from Dartmouth (or so) and loves it.
Originally Posted by Poppy2
Well when you come out, give us a bit of warning and we can all arrange a get together! We should arrange recce tours. Tuppence could do Fall River and surrounding areas - walking tours with the pram. I'll do the Eastern Shore, you take Halifax to Bridgewater and Corky can do South of there. Who is going to apply for the North Shore I wonder? Might be some competition there.
For the record, I went to Truro last week and didn't like it either. Some lovely countryside nearby though, and the haunted corn maze was brilliant.
Old Oct 19th 2008, 10:51 am
NS covern member #1

Poppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by destinationnovascotia
For the record, I went to Truro last week and didn't like it either. Some lovely countryside nearby though, and the haunted corn maze was brilliant.

I are is useless
Old Oct 19th 2008, 12:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

destinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond repute

Old Oct 19th 2008, 2:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

Winston Green is just really niceWinston Green is just really niceWinston Green is just really niceWinston Green is just really niceWinston Green is just really niceWinston Green is just really niceWinston Green is just really niceWinston Green is just really niceWinston Green is just really niceWinston Green is just really niceWinston Green is just really nice

Looks good what is the area like.do you use them?.whats the weather like so close to the water.is the school a good onesorry for all the questions but we are keen to get out and sorted
lawerencetown is nice and only a few minutes from Cole harbour for shoping. You can also park and ride at Cole Harbour into Halifax. We don't use the school but are friends send their young son (5) there and say it is great. The secondary school is OK by accounts but not the best arround. The weather is foggy in june but lovely in the summers sea breaze keeps it cooler than in land. In the winter the salty sea air reduces the risk of snow and the coast is warmer in winter than in land.

This house is on a cove so is not exposed to the full sea winter weather. The beach at lawerecetown is lovely and very popular with youngsters and surfers.

Regards

Winston
Old Oct 19th 2008, 6:30 pm
Nova Scotia

Thanks for the reply - is the area busy enough and do you think there would be call for servicing work, brake work etc. Do people in Nova Scotia have regular services on their vehicles or is it just a case of waiting for something to go wrong. How about MOT's does anything like this exist in Canada. Cant seem to find any information on this kind of thing so all your help would be appreciated.
Old Oct 20th 2008, 1:27 am
BE Forum Addict

Tuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by destinationnovascotia
Happy to show people the delights of Fall River

We were over your way the other day. We went for a lovely drive across to Clam Harbour beach. I love the coast along there - very scenic.
Old Oct 20th 2008, 6:52 pm
Nova Scotia

Thanks for the reply - is the area busy enough and do you think there would be call for servicing work, brake work etc. Do people in Nova Scotia have regular services on their vehicles or is it just a case of waiting for something to go wrong. How about MOT's does anything like this exist in Canada. Cant seem to find any information on this kind of thing so all your help would be appreciated.
Come on guys can anyone help with local knowledge
Old Oct 20th 2008, 7:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

Well I know I have to get the truck serviced in March/April and a couple of months ago the local police had road blocks and was checking all vehicles window stamp was up to date.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.