Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Where Next..>> ???

Where Next..>> ???

Old Aug 9th 2007, 12:32 am
Just Joined

MacD91 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Where Next..>> ???

Well after being in the British army for 8 years and then Norway and now Germany with my wife and kid (6 Months) . Who is German. i do not really like living here(Germany) and she dose not really want to live in Scotland ( bad weather) . I'm looking for a new home.... i have decided that it has to be a English speaking country that has good weather and a fairly good standard of living. (JOB) Well after i left the army i worked in different jobs working in Bars , Painting and some building work. but nothing i have really as a moving trade So Ive booked myself to do a plumbing and solar heating course ( £6500 ) that says it will give me the qualification needed to be a plumber. http://www.met-uk.com/MET%20Courses/...vel%202%20%203) So my plan is this..... i will do the course and then get a job as a plumber for 1 to 2 years to give me some experience and then move. Have you got any good advice where would be a good place to look for a new start. Maybe something to do with the course or how long i would need experience before i would be excepted for the working visa. Thanks for your time reading this.. Keith .
Old Aug 9th 2007, 2:08 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

macmike41 has a reputation beyond reputemacmike41 has a reputation beyond reputemacmike41 has a reputation beyond reputemacmike41 has a reputation beyond reputemacmike41 has a reputation beyond reputemacmike41 has a reputation beyond reputemacmike41 has a reputation beyond reputemacmike41 has a reputation beyond reputemacmike41 has a reputation beyond reputemacmike41 has a reputation beyond reputemacmike41 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Where Next..>> ???

Did 9 years myself in the REME waaaaay back when ’59 to ‘68.

Depends on what you mean by good weather - Ontario goes from -34C to +34C (ish) with a great spring and Autumn so if those temps sound ok then I guess Ontario will suite you.

Solar heating – don’t really see that here, seems crazy given the hot summer but I guess the cold winter would kick the H out of the panels. Plumbing would be ok - why not check out the web for jobs in various provinces.

Your time frame for moving looks like being several years away so keep in touch with Canada via the 3 site options at the top of this page.

Whatever you decide I wish you well.
Originally Posted by MacD91
Well after being in the British army for 8 years and then Norway and now Germany with my wife and kid (6 Months) . Who is German. i do not really like living here(Germany) and she dose not really want to live in Scotland ( bad weather) . I'm looking for a new home.... i have decided that it has to be a English speaking country that has good weather and a fairly good standard of living. (JOB) Well after i left the army i worked in different jobs working in Bars , Painting and some building work. but nothing i have really as a moving trade So Ive booked myself to do a plumbing and solar heating course ( £6500 ) that says it will give me the qualification needed to be a plumber. http://www.met-uk.com/MET%20Courses/...vel%202%20%203) So my plan is this..... i will do the course and then get a job as a plumber for 1 to 2 years to give me some experience and then move. Have you got any good advice where would be a good place to look for a new start. Maybe something to do with the course or how long i would need experience before i would be excepted for the working visa. Thanks for your time reading this.. Keith .
Old Aug 9th 2007, 9:20 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by macmike41
Did 9 years myself in the REME waaaaay back when ’59 to ‘68.

Depends on what you mean by good weather - Ontario goes from -34C to +34C (ish) with a great spring and Autumn so if those temps sound ok then I guess Ontario will suite you.

Solar heating – don’t really see that here, seems crazy given the hot summer but I guess the cold winter would kick the H out of the panels. Plumbing would be ok - why not check out the web for jobs in various provinces.

Your time frame for moving looks like being several years away so keep in touch with Canada via the 3 site options at the top of this page.

Whatever you decide I wish you well.
Thanks for the reply. been To Canada 2xs when in the Army exercises in MED Hat about 20 years ago went to Calgary and banff . Loved it ... was a bit younger then though just wondering if you could see any potential problems coming over , as i have a few years to decide but would like to put my energy towards the place of option .
Old Aug 9th 2007, 2:13 pm
Account Closed

Beebop is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the reply. been To Canada 2xs when in the Army exercises in MED Hat about 20 years ago went to Calgary and banff . Loved it ... was a bit younger then though just wondering if you could see any potential problems coming over , as i have a few years to decide but would like to put my energy towards the place of option .
Well, it's more a case of deciding and applying to Canada as it can take some considerable time...

There are options and it is worth looking a the various routes available but take the time to work them out as getting it wrong will waste a huge amount of time.
Old Aug 9th 2007, 4:16 pm
Just Joined

well i still have to pass my course and get a little experience ( how much)Min... ? and how long do you think it would take if i had a job to go too..>? cheers for the advice.
Old Aug 9th 2007, 4:22 pm
Account Closed

Beebop is an unknown quantity at this point

well i still have to pass my course and get a little experience ( how much)Min... ? and how long do you think it would take if i had a job to go too..>? cheers for the advice.
Have a look through some of the Immigration Forum threads and I assume you have looked at www.cic.gc.ca and tested yourself for the number of points.

It sounds like you will want to go the PNP or work permit route as it is quicker.

I'm waiting in the Skilled Worker queue and we applied 18 months ago and are not expecting to hear anything until 2009 as our estimated time to processing was 39 months. It is higher now for reasons you'll pick up if you read Andrew Millar's posts.
Old Aug 9th 2007, 5:07 pm
Now on Vancouver Island

Judy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond repute

The BE Wiki article on Skilled Trades will help.
Old Aug 10th 2007, 2:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

joelsa is a splendid one to beholdjoelsa is a splendid one to beholdjoelsa is a splendid one to beholdjoelsa is a splendid one to beholdjoelsa is a splendid one to beholdjoelsa is a splendid one to beholdjoelsa is a splendid one to beholdjoelsa is a splendid one to beholdjoelsa is a splendid one to beholdjoelsa is a splendid one to beholdjoelsa is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by macmike41

We do have a Solar heated community project project here http://www.dlsc.ca/ in Alberta. You mentioned you were in Alberta a few years ago, just thought you might be interested.

Jo xx
Old Aug 10th 2007, 2:55 pm
Just Joined

cheers ...thanks could be useful