Reload this Page >

Where to married in Canada?

Where to married in Canada?

Old Nov 23rd 2012, 1:11 am
Just Joined

victorian is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Where to married in Canada?

Hi guys

I'm new to this and am hoping you could help me with my burning question!
My partner and I are planning to get married here early next year and then go back to UK in the summer to have the celebration.

I know in UK once you have your marriage license you can head to the registry office and have it made official there. I've looked into it and can't find anything similar to a registry office in Canada. As there will only be us and our two witnesses, we don't want to rent a venue or spend too much money!

Does anyone have any suggestions on what we can do? I spoke with a marriage commissioner and they just suggested I rented somewhere for an hour for the ceremony... Are there registry offices I can go to?

Thanks for your help
Victoria
Old Nov 23rd 2012, 1:15 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Where to married in Canada?

Originally Posted by victorian
Hi guys

I'm new to this and am hoping you could help me with my burning question!
My partner and I are planning to get married here early next year and then go back to UK in the summer to have the celebration.

I know in UK once you have your marriage license you can head to the registry office and have it made official there. I've looked into it and can't find anything similar to a registry office in Canada. As there will only be us and our two witnesses, we don't want to rent a venue or spend too much money!

Does anyone have any suggestions on what we can do? I spoke with a marriage commissioner and they just suggested I rented somewhere for an hour for the ceremony... Are there registry offices I can go to?

Thanks for your help
Victoria
In Toronto you can get married at City Hall. It takes all of five minutes.
Old Nov 23rd 2012, 1:17 am
Just Joined

victorian is an unknown quantity at this point

Sorry I should have mentioned I live in Vancouver! Thanks!
Old Nov 23rd 2012, 1:20 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry I should have mentioned I live in Vancouver! Thanks!
I would imagine that Vancouver also has a town hall.
Old Nov 23rd 2012, 1:35 am
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

It can be anywhere, even the beach.
Old Nov 23rd 2012, 2:49 am
Happy Bunnies

Flossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond repute

I've been eyeing up this guy for ages...

http://www.kunelius.com/
Old Nov 23rd 2012, 3:17 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

I know in UK once you have your marriage license you can head to the registry office and have it made official there. I've looked into it and can't find anything similar to a registry office....Sorry I should have mentioned I live in Vancouver! Thanks!
Well I'll be.....

We did it in Quebec. On the website for a civil "do" it was at the court house...just like a registry office do in the UK and there was even a lovely outside area for extra photos.

I've just looked at a few sites and it says the couple arrange the location.

I found this:
VANCOUVER MARRIAGE COMMISSIONERS
Private Marriage Commissioners are individuals who are appointed under the Marriage Act of British Columbia for the purpose of performing Civil Ceremonies. Civil Marriage ceremonies may be performed at any reasonable location and time mutually agreed upon between you and the Marriage Commissioner. This Vancouver Marriage Commissioners directory will provide links to marriage commissioners and officiants in White Rock, South Surrey, Surrey, Langley, Cloverdale, Surrey, Delta, Tsawwassen, Port Coquitlam, Coquitlam, New Westminster, Burnaby, Vancouver, West Vancouver, North Vancouver, Richmond and the Greater Vancouver area.
Maybe their offices count? Perhaps they advertise something suitable on the premises?
Old Nov 23rd 2012, 4:44 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Vancouver, BC (originally from Huddersfield, W. Yorkshire)
adele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond repute

Yep, venues don't need to be licensed to host weddings here like they do in the UK - I know of people who have married at the beach, a park, or the marriage commissioner's house. I saw a wedding atop Grouse Mountain over the summer. I don't think you can get married at Vancouver City Hall.

http://www.grousemountain.com/posts/tags/weddings

https://vancouver.ca/parks-recreatio...-in-parks.aspx

http://www.vs.gov.bc.ca/marriage/howto.html

P.S. I've still never been to a wedding...anywhere!

Last edited by adele; Nov 23rd 2012 at 4:50 am.
Old Nov 23rd 2012, 6:40 am
half a century

The4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by adele
Yep, venues don't need to be licensed to host weddings here like they do in the UK - I know of people who have married at the beach, a park, or the marriage commissioner's house. I saw a wedding atop Grouse Mountain over the summer. I don't think you can get married at Vancouver City Hall.

http://www.grousemountain.com/posts/tags/weddings

https://vancouver.ca/parks-recreatio...-in-parks.aspx

http://www.vs.gov.bc.ca/marriage/howto.html

P.S. I've still never been to a wedding...anywhere!
Aww xxxxx

I went to a fabulously flamboyant gay wedding at the Harbour Park in Sooke this summer!