Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

where to live in fraser valley?

where to live in fraser valley?

Old May 21st 2008, 4:15 am
Forum Regular

HellyWelly has a spectacular aura aboutHellyWelly has a spectacular aura aboutHellyWelly has a spectacular aura about
Default where to live in fraser valley?

Hi Everyone
We are currently in Vancouver on our research trip. I need some help in finding good areas and schools for our family of 4. Any suggestions? My husband needs to commute to Surrey and doesn't mind driving up to 1hr.
Thanks
Old May 21st 2008, 4:50 am
BE Forum Addict

rwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: where to live in fraser valley?

Try Fort Langley.
Old May 21st 2008, 4:51 am
Forum Regular

poll72000 is a glorious beacon of lightpoll72000 is a glorious beacon of lightpoll72000 is a glorious beacon of lightpoll72000 is a glorious beacon of lightpoll72000 is a glorious beacon of lightpoll72000 is a glorious beacon of lightpoll72000 is a glorious beacon of lightpoll72000 is a glorious beacon of lightpoll72000 is a glorious beacon of lightpoll72000 is a glorious beacon of lightpoll72000 is a glorious beacon of light

Hi,

How old are your children? We live in Pitt Meadows and love it, it has all you could need.
Also when the bridges are finished next year,the commute will be even better i hope.

Phil
Old May 21st 2008, 4:57 am
Forum Regular

HellyWelly has a spectacular aura aboutHellyWelly has a spectacular aura aboutHellyWelly has a spectacular aura about

The kids are ages 9yrs and 6yrs. We haven't looked at Pitt Meadows yet, mls here we come
Old May 21st 2008, 4:58 am
Forum Regular

Think Fort Langley may be out of our price range but it is very beautiful
Old May 21st 2008, 5:12 am
BE Forum Addict

rwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, it is kind of pricey isn't it. I forgot about that part.
Old May 21st 2008, 5:38 am
Banned

Surrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond repute

Depends which part of Surrey. Along the #1 corridor, there is Langley/Walnut Grove, Aldergrove, Abbotsford & Chilliwack, all within 1 hours drive. The further east you go, the lower the housing cost, although up goes the driving costs.

Quality of schools, each area will have good and not so good. Pretty much it is drive around, see what housing fits your needs & price and the locale you like. Rent first, you can then move easily if you don't like the area. Many people have their favorite areas, however as its you who has to live there, take a close look yourselves. If you have the time, stay in motels in each area and scout it out.

If you have the choice, avoid anything that involves, ferries (Maple Ridge to Fort Langley), bridges (Port Mann & Alex Fraser to name two of many) or tunnels (George Massey). They create traffic nightmares and the novelty of gawking at the river wears off really quickly.
Old May 21st 2008, 5:42 am
Forum Regular

Thanks
Looks like we are looking in the right sort of area. Love the hints about bridges etc. We've been round Abbortsford today and liked the area on the East so we'll look for more.
How bad is Surrey?
Old May 21st 2008, 5:55 am
Banned

Surrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HellyWelly
Thanks
Looks like we are looking in the right sort of area. Love the hints about bridges etc. We've been round Abbortsford today and liked the area on the East so we'll look for more.
How bad is Surrey?
Surrey is not a place I would choose, but as I say each person has their own preferences. There are likely some nicer parts, but have never really looked from a perspective of living there. Since being in BC we've lived mainly in Abbotsford and Chilliwack.

I get to drive into Vancouver and around the lower mainland at present at least three times a week, 5 last week and I have that pleasure for the next three days. It is not a lot of fun.

If you can find a place to live close to work and with as few traffic problems as possible, it makes life so much easier. Why waste time sitting in a car, lined up in traffic, polluting the air and getting wound up by other motorists if you don't have to.
Old May 21st 2008, 2:05 pm
Forum Regular

JulesinUK is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks
How bad is Surrey?
Hi Hellywelly,
We are moving out to Abbotsford this August. We did alot of research beforehand, and Abbotsford seemed to tick alot of boxes for us. Our children are older than yours, (18 and 15) and we wanted alot going on for them but it still seems quite rural in places. I think it will suit us.
(Schools seem pretty good too!)
Good luck with your search.
Old May 21st 2008, 3:32 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

How bad is Surrey?
Surrey has the worst, and the best, places to live in the Lower Mainland/Fraser Valley.

I would avoid most of Whalley, Guildford and Newton (though Panorama Ridge in south Newton, and Frasier Heights are both very good places to live). Fleetwood is OK and Cloverdale has a lot of new subdivisions with may styles of reasonably priced homes. If you decide to drive around you should be able to visit open houses for condos, townhomes and single family homes.

South Surrey has some of the nicest, and most expensive, housing in British Columbia.

Whatever you decide I would take Surrey Expat's advice and consider renting at first. I certainly would not buy a place that makes for a long commute until you are certain that you love the area, and that you can live with the drive.