Reload this Page >

where to live in Edmonton,Alberta

where to live in Edmonton,Alberta

Old Oct 9th 2008, 5:13 pm
Just Joined

khilat is an unknown quantity at this point
Lightbulb where to live in Edmonton,Alberta

HI everyone,

My Work permit is under process and got my LMO as well , i will be working in edmonton,alberta as an IT support engineer. Can anyone who already in Edmonton,AB could suggest me,which part of edmonton is cost effective to live plus safety wise as well. I am single so will be looking for a
1 bedroom flat or something similar.

My job will be all around edmonton as i am a field engineer, but my office is based in NW edmonton. Any suggestion Plssssssss will be thankful.

Thanks in advance.
Old Oct 9th 2008, 5:52 pm
Forum Regular

TheStennings is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: where to live in Edmonton,Alberta

Wow

That is the job I currently do websupport/DBA (sql mainly) and some VB.net work occasionally. Most of the time its sorting out webpages or writing the odd applications/websites.

If you dont mind me asking, if this is the kind of job you do or anyone else out there does, I would be interested to kow what sort of average wage a basic support guy would get so I know that would be a minimum wage if i was to do a basic version of what i do.

Feel free to PM me.

Good luck in Edmonton !
Old Oct 10th 2008, 12:32 am
Just Joined

projectbliss is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: where to live in Edmonton,Alberta

I have been living in Edmonton for about a year, tho' I don't profess to being an expert (yet) on the place.

For safety, I don't recommend the North East of the city, or some parts of the downtown area. There's somewhere called Alberta Avenue which seems dodgy too. These are the areas that seem to be reported on in the media for shootings and drugs. I hear from Canadian friends that Millwoods is associated with gang violence amongst Asian immigrants.

Most of Edmonton, however, appears to be pretty safe. Much more so than the UK. You don't see gangs of youths/drunks, and Canadians are typically mild mannered, kind and civilized.

The expensive areas appear to be those around the University area, or which border the main river valley. I think there are some pricey hotspots in the West End too. Best to get in touch with a real estate agent for some advice.

I would say that prices get cheaper the further you get out of Edmonton. Apartments/flats are also newer and therefore might be cleaner/nicer too. There are so many different areas, and so many different types of accommodation, that you are best off seeking the advice of an expert.
Old Oct 10th 2008, 1:55 am
Account Closed

jericho is an unknown quantity at this point

We just arrived 5/6 weeks ago from the UK and moved to Sherwood Park.
It's a really easy commute in to downtown Edmonton- takes me half an hour in the morning and more or less the same coming back.
I'd recommend Sherwood Park if you have a family- drop me a PM if you have any questions...
Old Oct 10th 2008, 5:07 am
Canuck/Aussie

comet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by jericho
We just arrived 5/6 weeks ago from the UK and moved to Sherwood Park.
It's a really easy commute in to downtown Edmonton- takes me half an hour in the morning and more or less the same coming back.
I'd recommend Sherwood Park if you have a family- drop me a PM if you have any questions...
The OP mentioned he was single so don't think he needs a family place.

A closer suburb would be St. Albert as that is NW of the city centre. Would be a lot closer commute than coming from Sherwood Park.
Old Oct 10th 2008, 5:30 pm
Just Joined

khilat is an unknown quantity at this point

guys thanks for your guidance.