Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Quebec Driving licence experience/ problem

Quebec Driving licence experience/ problem

Old Oct 10th 2008, 8:55 pm
Forum Regular

dgpondhoppper is a jewel in the roughdgpondhoppper is a jewel in the roughdgpondhoppper is a jewel in the roughdgpondhoppper is a jewel in the rough
Default Quebec Driving licence experience/ problem

Hi
I am a UK to Can PR in Quebec and ran into this problem.

drivng on a uk licence for the first 90 days, no problem until I decided to buy a new car, purchase was approved by ford and I was to pick the vehicle up the next day, Called the insurance company that I had been with on father-in-laws policy for 12 months as a named driver and was told "no insurance unless you have Quebec licence AND your named insurance on father-in-laws car is not valid anymore as you dont have UK insurance."so go walk home !!!..........Ok ,off to get the quebec licence and was told I needed to go to Montreal, (not the local driver licence centre some 60miles away)!!!! first appointment 3 weeks!!!!. Grrr

Eventually found a different ins. company, got an apology from the first one for the wrong info and went 60 miles the other way for a next day appointment in Sherbrooke.. Beware that Quebec insurance companies will not sell insurance without a Quebec licence

So now I have Quebec ins, Licence and a nice new ford on credit. Great but a very frustrating and costly 2 days...
Watch out when you change your licence. you only get an Automobile licence even if you have goods licence on your UK lic. I get the quebec lic and my old UK one back with the extra classes so I can still use it in the UK if I have to. a test is needed for Quebec(later) license is $62CAN /year inc insurance for unisured drivers.(compulsary)

Have fun, I going driving.