Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Where to live in Calgary and Commuting

Where to live in Calgary and Commuting

Old Feb 6th 2015, 5:56 pm
Just Joined

Caerus is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Where to live in Calgary and Commuting

My daughter lived-in Ranchlands for a while. If you live on the west edge it would be about a 8-10 minute walk to the station in Crowfoot. From the furthest east edge you would catch a bus to either the Crowfoot station or the Dalhousie station. Both would be about a 23 minute ride.

Try this Transit website for routes and schedules:
HASTINFO Web
Old Feb 6th 2015, 6:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

haggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Where to live in Calgary and Commuting

Originally Posted by Caerus
Haggis 88. I've lived in Calgary for 58 years. Grew up in Forest Lawn and then lived in both the NE and now Tuscany. Your map is remarkably accurate.

Along the NW LRT line, one area I have not yet seen mentioned is Ranchlands. It is directly east of Arbour Lake and while your map shows it as Kinda Rich People it is in fact more working class and I think you'll find the house prices are less than any of the surrounding areas. I might be wrong in this but worth a look.

The media have lately been speculating that house prices (throughout Canada) are overpriced by up to 30% and the current oil price certainly won't help house prices in Calgary. However, Calgarians have been through this boom and bust cycle every few years and don't generally panic. My experience has been that it's more likely that house prices will remain relatively flat for a number of years rather than suffer significant drops in price. That's not to say that prices won't soften somewhat.
I think the map actually came from Huffington Post, although I wish I could take credit for it

Most people who've looked at it and lived in Calgary generally agree, my girlfriend grew up in Erin Woods and constantly refers to it as "the ghetto" (although in my opinion if you can leave your vehicle running in the street in the morning, its not very ghetto )