Where to live in Calgary and Commuting

Where to live in Calgary and Commuting

Old Jan 21st 2015, 2:03 pm
Forum Regular

Location: Edinburgh - to Calgary (didn't work out) - Now Vancouver
JJHJ is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Where to live in Calgary and Commuting

Originally Posted by Amp34
My other half and I should be moving to Calgary next summer and we are just starting to narrow down options for where to live. We will both be working downtown and would ideally rather commute by either CTrain or bike (or both).

The two areas that seem most interesting are the NW (Arbour Lake/Silver Springs etc.) and the south (Southward/Lake Bonavista etc.) as they are at the end of the CTrain and houses are a little bigger (ideally a garage or at least a shed for outdoor gear). Are these reasonable places to live/am I missing something? What is the commute like on the CTrain?

Alternatively Cochrane does interest me. It would mean both of us driving in each day but it is closer to the mountains. What is the traffic and commuting times like?

There are so many options but not actually knowing the area it's a little difficult to narrow it down any further! Any other recommendations/tips would be awesome too.
Hi Amp34,
We’re in a similar situation in that we’re moving to Calgary in the spring/summer and are looking at Arbour Lake. I’m actually from Calgary originally but have lived in Europe for 15 years (the last 4 ½ in the UK).

I grew up in the NW, mostly in Silver Springs so can recommend it. Its main advantage is the ravine (it may now have a proper name but that’s how it was referred to when I was young). This takes you down to the Bow River with spots for swimming (if you can handle the rapids and the cold). If you are of the adventurous sort you can even trek up the river’s edge to the train bridge a few hundred metres away, climb it and jump off into the river below (this is strictly speaking illegal but was all part of the fun when you’re 16). The ravine has a small woods and springs that form various small waterfalls (hence the name Silver Springs). The park in which you find the ravine is quite massive and has cycle paths that will take you downtown. I’m trying to recall how long it took me to ride, but I imagine less than an hour.

The other advantage of Silver Springs is its proximity to Crowchild Trail, which can take you to downtown in 20 minutes outside of Rush Hour. On the flipside, depending where you live, it’s not necessarily that close to either the Crowfoot or Dalhousie LRT and would probably require a drive or bus to get there. There used to be a dedicated express bus from there to downtown, but I don’t know if it still runs. It’s now quite a sought after area; my sister lives there with no intention of moving. In the areas closest to the park, I’ve noticed there aren’t many places for sale and those with mountain views (which you get from the park) are asking for astronomical sums for what is essentially a very comfortable, safe neighbourhood, but hardly hyper affluent.

Our reason for Arbour Lake (apart from the fact all my family lives in the NW) is the lake itself. For me this is its only quality (I suppose also the LRT nearby). As you probably know it’s a private lake available only to the locals and guests. In summer (as brief as it sometimes is), it is something of a gem. We have a very young child, so the river is out as a swimming spot and the lake is in. Alberta isn’t a lake-heavy region, so any one is worthwhile sticking to. Otherwise, the houses are newer than Silver Springs and even more charmless if that’s possible. But they are of a good size and mostly have built-in garages, which you’ll find is exceedingly helpful in deep winter. Silver Springs homes in the older parts tend to have detached garages and thus far less protection from the cold.

I really don’t recommend Cochrane if you’re commuting daily to downtown. The drive will wear you down day after day in winter, even if you get off at Tuscany LRT. There’s a very steep ascent coming out of the town towards Calgary that can be treacherous in bad conditions. If you’re coming from London I think the culture shock might be too much. I’m perhaps prejudiced against it, but I see no merit to living there at all (except that it’s cheaper). If you live in the NW you’re already closer to the mountains than elsewhere in the city. Living in Cochrane will only shave off 20 min or so from that trip.

Best not bike in the winter. Those ‘hardcore’ really are mad.

I’m happy to help if you have any other questions.
Old Jan 21st 2015, 10:37 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JJHJ
No, the people who buy a dog that has to be walked every day are the ones who are mad. Cyclists are just mildly bonkers.

I don't live in the NW but what I would say is that traffic on Crowchild is pretty bad and probably worse than you remember.
Old Jan 21st 2015, 10:47 pm
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Photoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve_
No, the people who buy a dog that has to be walked every day are the ones who are mad. Cyclists are just mildly bonkers.

I don't live in the NW but what I would say is that traffic on Crowchild is pretty bad and probably worse than you remember.
Traffic on Crowchild is a daily nightmare, mostly because of the junctions at McMahon, 5th Ave, Kensington, but especially the bridges that cross the Bow.

Luckily my 8 minute commute only has about 1km of Crowchild, going the other way from the poor gridlocked chumps
Old Jan 22nd 2015, 4:13 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute

I drive the NW stretch of Crowchild daily coming in from Cochrane, but only as far as 16th. It's easy. It does slow down between the University and McMahon - but going any further south would likely drive me bananas. That's always super slow morning and evening.
Old Jan 22nd 2015, 7:48 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Steve_

I'm sure it's got worse, but it was always bad. There used to be intersections at Dalhousie, Shaganappi and Brentwood before the overpasses were built, which slowed things down long before McMahon. But if you live in Silver Springs and want to go for dinner downtown, your drive should be 20min. Like I said outside of rush our it's fine, but I wouldn't do it otherwise.
Old Jan 23rd 2015, 12:25 am
Happy Bunnies

Flossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond repute

I'm sure it's got worse, but it was always bad. There used to be intersections at Dalhousie, Shaganappi and Brentwood before the overpasses were built, which slowed things down long before McMahon. But if you live in Silver Springs and want to go for dinner downtown, your drive should be 20min. Like I said outside of rush our it's fine, but I wouldn't do it otherwise.
If I drive downtown I go north on Sarcee, east on John Laurie, south on 14th, west on 9th - some mornings its 20 mins and some its 40 but its not all that bad at the morning commute peak.

Its worse getting out of downtown - usually takes me 40 mins to get from east downtown out to Kensington!

bus and train is a bit of a faff if you have kids to pick up, so I park and ride at dalhousie and it takes about 45 mins door to door.
Old Jan 23rd 2015, 7:34 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Flossie and Jim
If I drive downtown I go north on Sarcee, east on John Laurie, south on 14th, west on 9th - some mornings its 20 mins and some its 40 but its not all that bad at the morning commute peak.

Its worse getting out of downtown - usually takes me 40 mins to get from east downtown out to Kensington!

bus and train is a bit of a faff if you have kids to pick up, so I park and ride at dalhousie and it takes about 45 mins door to door.
I had been curious about the state of John Laurie in rush hour; it’s good to hear it’s not too bad.
It’s funny that 14th street isn’t worse than it is going into downtown, even more so 10th St. I went back to Calgary for a few years in 2003 and lived near Confederation park, taking the bus into the centre via 10th st and was always amazed how little traffic there was at rush hour. I’m assuming it’s still the same.
Old Jan 26th 2015, 1:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

gryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond repute

I had been curious about the state of John Laurie in rush hour; it’s good to hear it’s not too bad.
It’s funny that 14th street isn’t worse than it is going into downtown, even more so 10th St. I went back to Calgary for a few years in 2003 and lived near Confederation park, taking the bus into the centre via 10th st and was always amazed how little traffic there was at rush hour. I’m assuming it’s still the same.
I commute on John Laurie and generally its OK, unless Crowchild has something going wrong on it and then its a disaster. John laurie got better when they built stoney
Old Jan 26th 2015, 2:11 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by gryphea
I commute on John Laurie and generally its OK, unless Crowchild has something going wrong on it and then its a disaster. John laurie got better when they built stoney
Good to know. thanks.
Old Jan 26th 2015, 8:33 pm
Weegie in Calgary

cbrown89 has a reputation beyond reputecbrown89 has a reputation beyond reputecbrown89 has a reputation beyond reputecbrown89 has a reputation beyond reputecbrown89 has a reputation beyond reputecbrown89 has a reputation beyond reputecbrown89 has a reputation beyond reputecbrown89 has a reputation beyond reputecbrown89 has a reputation beyond reputecbrown89 has a reputation beyond reputecbrown89 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Amp34,
We’re in a similar situation in that we’re moving to Calgary in the spring/summer and are looking at Arbour Lake. I’m actually from Calgary originally but have lived in Europe for 15 years (the last 4 ½ in the UK).

I grew up in the NW, mostly in Silver Springs so can recommend it. Its main advantage is the ravine (it may now have a proper name but that’s how it was referred to when I was young). This takes you down to the Bow River with spots for swimming (if you can handle the rapids and the cold). If you are of the adventurous sort you can even trek up the river’s edge to the train bridge a few hundred metres away, climb it and jump off into the river below (this is strictly speaking illegal but was all part of the fun when you’re 16). The ravine has a small woods and springs that form various small waterfalls (hence the name Silver Springs). The park in which you find the ravine is quite massive and has cycle paths that will take you downtown. I’m trying to recall how long it took me to ride, but I imagine less than an hour.

The other advantage of Silver Springs is its proximity to Crowchild Trail, which can take you to downtown in 20 minutes outside of Rush Hour. On the flipside, depending where you live, it’s not necessarily that close to either the Crowfoot or Dalhousie LRT and would probably require a drive or bus to get there. There used to be a dedicated express bus from there to downtown, but I don’t know if it still runs. It’s now quite a sought after area; my sister lives there with no intention of moving. In the areas closest to the park, I’ve noticed there aren’t many places for sale and those with mountain views (which you get from the park) are asking for astronomical sums for what is essentially a very comfortable, safe neighbourhood, but hardly hyper affluent.

Our reason for Arbour Lake (apart from the fact all my family lives in the NW) is the lake itself. For me this is its only quality (I suppose also the LRT nearby). As you probably know it’s a private lake available only to the locals and guests. In summer (as brief as it sometimes is), it is something of a gem. We have a very young child, so the river is out as a swimming spot and the lake is in. Alberta isn’t a lake-heavy region, so any one is worthwhile sticking to. Otherwise, the houses are newer than Silver Springs and even more charmless if that’s possible. But they are of a good size and mostly have built-in garages, which you’ll find is exceedingly helpful in deep winter. Silver Springs homes in the older parts tend to have detached garages and thus far less protection from the cold.

I really don’t recommend Cochrane if you’re commuting daily to downtown. The drive will wear you down day after day in winter, even if you get off at Tuscany LRT. There’s a very steep ascent coming out of the town towards Calgary that can be treacherous in bad conditions. If you’re coming from London I think the culture shock might be too much. I’m perhaps prejudiced against it, but I see no merit to living there at all (except that it’s cheaper). If you live in the NW you’re already closer to the mountains than elsewhere in the city. Living in Cochrane will only shave off 20 min or so from that trip.

I’m happy to help if you have any other questions.
Don't know what shock they are going to have it's full of Brits.
Old Jan 26th 2015, 9:44 pm
Forum Regular

Amp34 is an unknown quantity at this point

I didn't realise Arbour Lake was a residents only lake, it makes sense though and is definitely something to think about...

I've looked at flood maps in the past and Silver Springs appears to be on them, although it makes little sense as it's a long way above the river. I assume there is no risk of flooding in most of Silver Springs?

Lots of useful info about commuting and traffic as well, it's confirmed why we want to take the C Train or cycle.

When I was in Calgary I got the impression there were a LOT of Brits there, either way the other half is Canadian so she shouldn't have a culture shock! I think the driving culture will be the biggest issue for me. I really don't drive much at all, conversely I drive more outside the UK than in, partly because the roads are so awful in the UK.
Old Jan 27th 2015, 1:15 am
Forum Regular

Lunathecat is an unknown quantity at this point

We moved to tuscany in the NW in November, which has recently opened an LRT station. I'm not a fan of driving in winter conditions so we moved here so I could take the train downtown. Not sure if you have kids, but the other reason we picked tuscany is for the school. That and shorter journey to mountains.
Old Jan 27th 2015, 8:40 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Amp34
I didn't realise Arbour Lake was a residents only lake, it makes sense though and is definitely something to think about...

I've looked at flood maps in the past and Silver Springs appears to be on them, although it makes little sense as it's a long way above the river. I assume there is no risk of flooding in most of Silver Springs?

Lots of useful info about commuting and traffic as well, it's confirmed why we want to take the C Train or cycle.

When I was in Calgary I got the impression there were a LOT of Brits there, either way the other half is Canadian so she shouldn't have a culture shock! I think the driving culture will be the biggest issue for me. I really don't drive much at all, conversely I drive more outside the UK than in, partly because the roads are so awful in the UK.
I don't know how there could be a flood risk in Silver Springs, you're at least 30m above the river. Across the river it's of course different, but that's Bowness.

I'm glad to hear there are lots of Brits in Calgary. It means less of a culture shock for me!
Old Jan 28th 2015, 6:18 pm
Forum Regular

Amp34 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Lunathecat
We moved to tuscany in the NW in November, which has recently opened an LRT station. I'm not a fan of driving in winter conditions so we moved here so I could take the train downtown. Not sure if you have kids, but the other reason we picked tuscany is for the school. That and shorter journey to mountains.
No kids and no plans for any for a while yet...

Essentially what we are looking for in a community is quiet roads, safe location, a garage and the ability to commute downtown by public transport, with shops within walking distance of possible. Significant bonus points for being closer to the mountains!

I think the most useful to "community" map was the joke one on the last page. Stereotypes, yes, but I assume it gives a pretty good idea of the type of areas they are.
Old Jan 28th 2015, 6:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

Yorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond repute

I have one eye on an apartment near mount pleasant university, apartments seem to come available regularly to buy for about 350k, anyone know the area and the commute to downtown? Flood risk, anything else? Very grateful.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.