British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Canada (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/)
-   -   Where do I start?! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/where-do-i-start-868953/)

plasticcanuck Dec 11th 2015 10:55 pm

Re: Where do I start?!

I have a close friend who, as an Province of Ontario employee, was heavily involved in managing of the of private schools and colleges in the Province. If he is to be believed, I wouldn't recommend anyone attend such an educational facility. That system appears to be involved with some money grubbing scoundrels. Many schools are underfunded and depend on new entrants to provide working capital, almost like a Ponzi scheme. There is, IMO, a serious lack of control over the "industry".

bats Dec 11th 2015 11:16 pm

Originally Posted by Oliviald (Post 11812748)
Yes when applying for the visa you have to select the place your going to study and my college was on the list so I assume this is accepted

OK, and you've checked with the deppntal hygienists college that you would be eligible to write the exam after taking this course? The college website is a bit vague on that point.

Why did you chose a private college rather than a more, er, standard route?

Oliviald Dec 11th 2015 11:30 pm

Originally Posted by bats (Post 11812775)
OK, and you've checked with the deppntal hygienists college that you would be eligible to write the exam after taking this course?

I'm not really sure what you mean by this? Why wouldn't I be able to do the exam?

Oink Dec 11th 2015 11:43 pm

Originally Posted by bats (Post 11812775)
OK, and you've checked with the deppntal hygienists college that you would be eligible to write the exam after taking this course? The college website is a bit vague on that point.

Why did you chose a private college rather than a more, er, standard route?

I think she answered that specifically. Places at the 20 or so UK institutions are in few in number and have high demand thus are hard to get into. Secondly, she and her boyfriend wanted to experience another culture. This experience could work but with only rigorous due diligence and cross checking on the OP's part. I wonder if the OP has thought of enrolling in dental school as a trainee dentist? The investment might be more rewarding.

Siouxie Dec 11th 2015 11:59 pm

How do I get my Dental Hygiene Registration?

FAQs - Toronto College of Dental Hygiene and Auxiliaries Inc.

The student would attend the Dental Hygiene program and after successfully completing the program would be offered an official diploma from our accredited program. The individual would then be required to successfully complete the National Dental Hygiene Certification Board Exam

ndhcb-eng (educational requirements)

Perhaps it would be best to check...

Criterion 3 - the program must be of a minimum of two (2) full time academic years of formal dental hygiene education in a recognized Dental Hygiene program, including a clinical component with direct client care supervised by dental hygiene faculty.

ndhcb-eng (how to become certified)

Oliviald Dec 12th 2015 12:01 am

Originally Posted by Oink (Post 11812791)
I wonder if the OP has thought of enrolling in dental school as a trainee dentist? The investment might be more rewarding.

I have thought of this option, I have been working as a dental nurse in the industry for 4 years now and I am very interested in the dental hygiene side. I'd like to further my career and I see this as my next step. I don't think I would be able to get through the 5 year course for dentistry successfully

Oliviald Dec 12th 2015 12:08 am

Perhaps I am being naive but why would so many people attend this college if you can't then go on and work etc when you have finished? There are 4 intakes a year with around 80 students on each intake, surely people would have realised its all a money grabbing scheme and you don't get a proper diploma out of it and it would of been shut down or something?

I am grateful for everybodys feedback I'm just trying to understand everything that is being said, it's beginning to sound like I shouldn't go!

Oink Dec 12th 2015 12:23 am

Originally Posted by Oliviald (Post 11812805)
Perhaps I am being naive but why would so many people attend this college if you can't then go on and work etc when you have finished? There are 4 intakes a year with around 80 students on each intake, surely people would have realised its all a money grabbing scheme and you don't get a proper diploma out of it and it would of been shut down or something?

I am grateful for everybodys feedback I'm just trying to understand everything that is being said, it's beginning to sound like I shouldn't go!

They're just worried that you'll compete this course, with its considerable expense and then when you get back to the UK they won't recognize it as a valid credential and you'll of lost money and time. As long as you can be confident that it will recognized as same as a course in the UK it may well be a decent opportunity. I believe that DH's over here make at least as much as teachers. Although you'll have to work more than 9 months of the year. :lol:

HGerchikov Dec 12th 2015 1:01 am

Originally Posted by Oink (Post 11812810)
They're just worried that you'll compete this course, with its considerable expense and then when you get back to the UK they won't recognize it as a valid credential and you'll of lost money and time. As long as you can be confident that it will recognized as same as a course in the UK it may well be a decent opportunity. I believe that DH's over here make at least as much as teachers. Although you'll have to work more than 9 months of the year. :lol:

This. There have been a lot of threads over the years about people having trouble getting qualifications recognized between the different countries. So, provided you have checked with the relevant people that you can do what you plan to do and, at least most of the qualification will be good when you get back to the UK, with maybe some fill in the gaps exams, then it could be a great experience for you. I don't think anyone is saying, don't come, just do your homework first. From what you have posted it seems like you have been asking the right questions of the right people. Wishing you all the very best.

Stinkypup Dec 12th 2015 1:30 am

I have experience in dealing with both the General Dental Council as well as the General Medical Council and have to say they are very rigid in their rules- just as their equivalents in Canada are. They are deliberately very non specific in suggestion of acceptance of accepting foreign qualifications- if you wish to work here in Canada then obviously no problems, depending on your visa eligibility but I would't count on getting the Canadian qualification accepted readily in the UK- you may well need possibly considerably more training at significant cost. I am not trying to put you off but just as others said, this is not a given.

Engineer_abroad Dec 15th 2015 7:25 am

Applying for rentals before you get to Canada can be difficult, especially as you point out that you don't have a Canadian bank account yet. Also do you really want to commit to lease without seeing a place, especially at the budget end? If you get no luck/help from the college I would book into an inexpensive hotel/motel with a kitchenette (more common in North America than UK) for a few weeks until you can find somewhere. I would do some real research into Banking it is a world apart from the 'free' banking we have in the UK with almost everything you do being charged. I went with RBC who waive 6 months of the fees for new arrivals. Were also very good at explaining the differences but you can tell they are salesmen first and advisors second. As mentioned above kijiji.ca is a good website but be aware that few places are rented through an agency, like in the UK, most places are rented directly by the landlord or via the building management.

code_monkey Dec 19th 2015 9:44 pm

Somehow stumbled onto this forum/thread as I was looking for a Canadian ex-pat forum :P I have some feedback that might relevant to the OP though:

My girlfriend actually went to the college mentioned in this thread (TCDHA) and she felt her overall experience was OK, although it took her a while to find full-time employment (might not be a concern to the OP). Main problem is that because the program is compressed into 18 months, some curriculum corners are cut in terms of the health/science theory and knowledge. It was not uncommon for students in her cohort to pay for extra tutoring before writing the board exam. She's heard similar things of the other private healthcare colleges in Toronto (such as Medix). The practical/hands-on aspect was good though and her employers have been impressed by her hygiene skills.

The days are quite long (often a full day of classes and then several hours of clinic practice) so you don't have much of a life for 18 months. Not saying you won't have *any* time to explore Toronto, but it won't be like going away for university. It's quite an intense program.

In the OP's case, I think the big determining factor would be finding out how the college's syllabus lines up with aforementioned GDC requirements. If the gaps are too many, then maybe it's time to reconsider. But if manageable, it might be worth it. (stating the obvious lol)

Final bit - as others have mentioned, private colleges are a somewhat sullied in terms of their educational reputation in Canada, so just assume that the diploma itself is worthless. Pass the board certification and that's all that matters! Good luck!

christmasoompa Dec 19th 2015 11:01 pm

Originally Posted by code_monkey (Post 11817786)
Somehow stumbled onto this forum/thread as I was looking for a Canadian ex-pat forum :P I have some feedback that might relevant to the OP though:

My girlfriend actually went to the college mentioned in this thread (TCDHA) and she felt her overall experience was OK, although it took her a while to find full-time employment (might not be a concern to the OP). Main problem is that because the program is compressed into 18 months, some curriculum corners are cut in terms of the health/science theory and knowledge. It was not uncommon for students in her cohort to pay for extra tutoring before writing the board exam. She's heard similar things of the other private healthcare colleges in Toronto (such as Medix). The practical/hands-on aspect was good though and her employers have been impressed by her hygiene skills.

The days are quite long (often a full day of classes and then several hours of clinic practice) so you don't have much of a life for 18 months. Not saying you won't have *any* time to explore Toronto, but it won't be like going away for university. It's quite an intense program.

In the OP's case, I think the big determining factor would be finding out how the college's syllabus lines up with aforementioned GDC requirements. If the gaps are too many, then maybe it's time to reconsider. But if manageable, it might be worth it. (stating the obvious lol)

Final bit - as others have mentioned, private colleges are a somewhat sullied in terms of their educational reputation in Canada, so just assume that the diploma itself is worthless. Pass the board certification and that's all that matters! Good luck!

Hi, and welcome to BE. That's a hugely helpful post for the OP I'm sure, so thanks for taking the time to post.