Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Where do I start?!

Where do I start?!

Old Dec 8th 2015, 3:08 pm
Just Joined

Oliviald has a reputation beyond reputeOliviald has a reputation beyond reputeOliviald has a reputation beyond reputeOliviald has a reputation beyond reputeOliviald has a reputation beyond reputeOliviald has a reputation beyond reputeOliviald has a reputation beyond reputeOliviald has a reputation beyond reputeOliviald has a reputation beyond reputeOliviald has a reputation beyond reputeOliviald has a reputation beyond repute
Default Where do I start?!

Hi, my name is Olivia and I have just receieved acceptance for a student visa into Canada, starting 29th August 2016 and I need some further help and advice!

I am 24 and myself and my fiance will be moving over to Toronto for the duration of my 18 month dental hygiene course.

I have no idea how to go about somewhere to live, i have been looking on the internet at rental properties but unsure whether to wait until we get there to find somewhere or organise something so we have somewhere to go when we arrive instead of staying in a hotel. I am wondering because we are new to the contry whether renting will be a problem due to refrences, credit checks etc, does anyone have any advice on where to start with this?!

Also any advice on what we do about bank accounts, changing our money to CAD?

Is there any temporary Health insurance that we can get as we are only in the contry for 18 months?

I have so many questions, i ahve been looking on the internet for information but would like to speak to people that have been through the move from the UK to Canada for more personal experiences and advice.

Thank you in advance
Old Dec 8th 2015, 3:51 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Where do I start?!

Hi, and welcome to BE.

The Wiki has articles in it that will help, including ones on short term rentals, bank accounts, and info on medical insurance.

HTH and good luck.

Last edited by christmasoompa; Dec 8th 2015 at 4:04 pm.
Old Dec 8th 2015, 3:58 pm
Magnificently Withering

Oakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond repute

For rental accommodation, I'd suggest looking on kijiji.ca or a site like padmapper.com - or ask the student office for guidance, they likely have a database of sorts. While lack of a local credit history or availability of landlord references may be an issue for higher-end rentals, it's likely less of a problem in the student rental market. Bear in mind, though, there's a pretty hot market for budget rentals in Toronto, so be prepared to apply for a few before getting a place to live. I'm sure someone more knowledgeable will be along in a minute to offer better advice.

What will be your status in Canada? If you're here on a study permit, you won't be eligible for provincial healthcare (OHIP) so will need medical insurance for the duration of your stay. There are a number of providers who cater to students and "working holiday visa" (IEC) holders - a quick search through the IEC thread on the Canada Immigration subforum will turn up a wealth of information for you.

Edited to add: what will be your fiance's status? Will he have a work permit on the back of your study permit? His eligibility for OHIP may well depend on yours. Research this carefully!

You shouldn't have any difficulty with a bank account. Just take a couple of forms of ID into a convenient bank and off you go. If you're an HSBC customer in the UK you may be able to get some assistance in setting up an HSBC account here, but HSBC branches are not as plentiful in Toronto as they are in the UK or western Canada. You may want to look at one of the online banking providers (PC FInancial, run by CIBC on behalf of the Loblaw supermarket chain, or Tangerine, the old ING Direct operation now owned by Scotiabank) seem to be the popular choices. Standby for more banking charges than you're used to in the UK. Use a foreign exchange house to transfer money - most people consider you get a slightly better deal than going direct through a bank. The bigger the lump sum you transfer in one go, the better the deal you're likely to get, but then you're gambling a bit on the exchange rate...

Last edited by Oakvillian; Dec 8th 2015 at 4:03 pm. Reason: added caveat about OH's work status and OHIP implication
Old Dec 8th 2015, 5:37 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Regarding the health insurance; if you are attending a public university then I believe you will need to take out insurance through UHIP - http://uhip.ca/all-about-uhip.aspx - if you are attending a private college/uni then you should check with their international student department to see if they have an insurance you are required to take out or if you can choose your own.

https://www.ontario.ca/page/study-on...ents#section-6

Old Dec 8th 2015, 6:16 pm
Just Joined

Oliviald has a reputation beyond reputeOliviald has a reputation beyond reputeOliviald has a reputation beyond reputeOliviald has a reputation beyond reputeOliviald has a reputation beyond reputeOliviald has a reputation beyond reputeOliviald has a reputation beyond reputeOliviald has a reputation beyond reputeOliviald has a reputation beyond reputeOliviald has a reputation beyond reputeOliviald has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oakvillian
For rental accommodation, I'd suggest looking on kijiji.ca or a site like padmapper.com - or ask the student office for guidance, they likely have a database of sorts. While lack of a local credit history or availability of landlord references may be an issue for higher-end rentals, it's likely less of a problem in the student rental market. Bear in mind, though, there's a pretty hot market for budget rentals in Toronto, so be prepared to apply for a few before getting a place to live. I'm sure someone more knowledgeable will be along in a minute to offer better advice.

Edited to add: what will be your fiance's status? Will he have a work permit on the back of your study permit? His eligibility for OHIP may well depend on yours. Research this carefully!
Reguarding the rental, would you suggest we apply for some places before we come out to Toronto so we have somewhere when we arrive or is it easy enough to find somewhere quicky. Obviously i realise how expensive acommodation is in Toronto so we will be saving up money for this if we have to change our budget!

My fiance has a open working permit which he has recieved through my study visa so he will be applying for jobs as soon as we arrive and will hopefully have work pretty soon after arriving, unsure how much work there is around the city though!

With neither of us having proof of stable income does anyone suppose if this will go against us when applying for properties to rent?

Thank you for your replies, really helpful!
Old Dec 9th 2015, 10:57 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oliviald
Reguarding the rental, would you suggest we apply for some places before we come out to Toronto so we have somewhere when we arrive or is it easy enough to find somewhere quicky. Obviously i realise how expensive acommodation is in Toronto so we will be saving up money for this if we have to change our budget!

My fiance has a open working permit which he has recieved through my study visa so he will be applying for jobs as soon as we arrive and will hopefully have work pretty soon after arriving, unsure how much work there is around the city though!

With neither of us having proof of stable income does anyone suppose if this will go against us when applying for properties to rent?

Thank you for your replies, really helpful!
You might get better advice on rentals if you mentioned at which college you'll be studying.
Old Dec 9th 2015, 12:48 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
You might get better advice on rentals if you mentioned at which college you'll be studying.
I will be studying at Toronto college dental hygiene and auxiliaries, it's a private college so there isn't any student accommodation
Old Dec 9th 2015, 12:56 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

I will be studying at Toronto college dental hygiene and auxiliaries, it's a private college so there isn't any student accommodation
That's right up your street Novo!

Weirdly, I was on that street last weekend; it's an area of light industry and educational establishments. You likely will not want to rent to the west, Jane and Finch being a notorious neighborhood. It's a good spot for cheap restaurants though, curry, roti and such, and for cheese, if you're not bothered for French cheese and can do with Italian or Quebecois.
Old Dec 9th 2015, 4:18 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

According to their pdf for new students they have a residence and also contacts for residential accommodation, so it may be worth getting in touch with their Admissions Co-ordinator.

http://www.toronto-college-dental.or...20Students.pdf
Old Dec 9th 2015, 10:55 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Wouldn't it just be easier to study dental hygiene in the UK?
Old Dec 10th 2015, 5:07 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Oink
Wouldn't it just be easier to study dental hygiene in the UK?
It probably would yes but there is only 10 places a year at each uni so it's very hard to get on. Also I'd like the experience of living in a different country, I think I've got a great opportunity
Old Dec 10th 2015, 1:00 pm
Muskoka, Ontario

Tirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond repute

It probably would yes but there is only 10 places a year at each uni so it's very hard to get on. Also I'd like the experience of living in a different country, I think I've got a great opportunity
Do you want to work here long term then?
Old Dec 10th 2015, 4:34 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Tirytory
Do you want to work here long term then?
It's a possibility but I will just see how college goes and how I adapt in that time, We may not like it. If not I can come back to England and have a qualification and I will have experienced the different culture etc
Old Dec 10th 2015, 9:23 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

It's a possibility but I will just see how college goes and how I adapt in that time, We may not like it. If not I can come back to England and have a qualification and I will have experienced the different culture etc
Have you checked that the qualification from a private college in Toronto will be recognised in the UK?

Certainly, the other way round would not be.
Old Dec 10th 2015, 10:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

Shirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
Have you checked that the qualification from a private college in Toronto will be recognised in the UK?
Hygienists who trained and qualified outside the EU/EEA countries are required to retrain before they are permitted to register with the GDC.
https://www.bda.org/dentists/advice/...-professionals

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.