British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Canada (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/)
-   -   Where do I start?! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/where-do-i-start-868953/)

Siouxie Dec 11th 2015 12:16 am

Re: Where do I start?!

Originally Posted by Shirtback (Post 11812038)

and

DCPs qualified overseas

and

http://gdc-uk.org/Dentalprofessional...ment%20FAQ.pdf

Oliviald Dec 11th 2015 4:46 am

Originally Posted by Novocastrian (Post 11811984)
Have you checked that the qualification from a private college in Toronto will be recognised in the UK?

Certainly, the other way round would not be.

I have spoken on the phone several times with the gdc and they have told me that they assess each case individually, I may need to sit an exam to get back into the register but they have said they have American and Canadian hygienists on the register working in the UK

plasticcanuck Dec 11th 2015 12:04 pm

Originally Posted by Oliviald (Post 11812201)
I have spoken on the phone several times with the gdc and they have told me that they assess each case individually, I may need to sit an exam to get back into the register but they have said they have American and Canadian hygienists on the register working in the UK

Private colleges are often more interested in your money than the quality of education you receive, but then so are some public institutions today. Very few applicants, if any, if any, are refused admission and I would hesitate to accept everything they tell you.

dbd33 Dec 11th 2015 12:16 pm

Originally Posted by plasticcanuck (Post 11812341)
Private colleges are often more interested in your money than the quality of education you receive, but then so are some public institutions today. Very few applicants, if any, if any, are refused admission and I would hesitate to accept everything they tell you.

The General Dental Council is not likely be influenced in its opinion by money flowing in the colonies.

Oliviald Dec 11th 2015 12:59 pm

Originally Posted by plasticcanuck (Post 11812341)

The GDC are the people you register with to work in the dental industry in the UK, so they have nothing to do with the college. I have spoken to them again today and they have said when I apply I just send in the college syllabus and if I have any uk modules missing I just have them in the uk. They said they can't guarantee I can work but they havnt said no I can't

Novocastrian Dec 11th 2015 4:20 pm

Originally Posted by Oliviald (Post 11812382)
The GDC are the people you register with to work in the dental industry in the UK, so they have nothing to do with the college. I have spoken to them again today and they have said when I apply I just send in the college syllabus and if I have any uk modules missing I just have them in the uk. They said they can't guarantee I can work but they havnt said no I can't

Wouldn't it be more prudent to send the curriculum for assessment by the GDC before you spend $31000 on tuition fees?

Oliviald Dec 11th 2015 4:36 pm

Originally Posted by Novocastrian (Post 11812515)
Wouldn't it be more prudent to send the curriculum for assessment by the GDC before you spend $31000 on tuition fees?

I am doing this already, just awaiting the message back from the college...
It seems your trying to put me off coming over to Toronto?

Novocastrian Dec 11th 2015 4:40 pm

Originally Posted by Oliviald (Post 11812526)
I am doing this already, just awaiting the message back from the college...
It seems your trying to put me off coming over to Toronto?

Not at all. I hope it all works out and good for you checking the curriculum ahead of time.

Basically I don't trust or approve of private colleges anywhere.

plasticcanuck Dec 11th 2015 4:40 pm

I don't think anyone is trying to put you off, they're just trying to point out some of the pitfalls you could encounter.

Oliviald Dec 11th 2015 4:52 pm

Originally Posted by Novocastrian (Post 11812528)

What makes you say this? Have you had a bad experience with a private college?

Oink Dec 11th 2015 6:38 pm

Originally Posted by Novocastrian (Post 11812528)
Not at all. I hope it all works out and good for you checking the curriculum ahead of time.

Harvard and Stanford are rubbish. ;)

Oink Dec 11th 2015 6:46 pm

Originally Posted by Oliviald (Post 11812538)
What makes you say this? Have you had a bad experience with a private college?

I think what he means is that, private professional training in North America can be very suspect. They're profit driven, so they focus on enrolment and tuition rather than quality of instruction and scholastic rigour. I'm sure your college is fine and is simply filling a gap in the market place but beware there are a lot of private colleges and universities over here that have a very poor reputation and where you may end up with a diploma that will have very little labour market value.

Novocastrian Dec 11th 2015 9:50 pm

Originally Posted by Oink (Post 11812633)
Harvard and Stanford are rubbish. ;)

Originally Posted by Oink (Post 11812640)
I think what he means is that, private professional training in North America can be very suspect. They're profit driven, so they focus on enrolment and tuition rather than quality of instruction and scholastic rigour. I'm sure your college is fine and is simply filling a gap in the market place but beware there are a lot of private colleges and universities over here that have a very poor reputation and where you may end up with a diploma that will have very little labour market value.

I see you agree with me.

bats Dec 11th 2015 9:57 pm

Originally Posted by Oliviald (Post 11810913)
I will be studying at Toronto college dental hygiene and auxiliaries, it's a private college so there isn't any student accommodation

When I came on a student visa the course had to be at diploma level and ar specified type of colle, private colleges were excluded. I presume you've checked this out and that your college is accepted by the visa people.

PS proper colleges include medical cover in the fees.

Oliviald Dec 11th 2015 10:19 pm

Originally Posted by bats (Post 11812734)
When I came on a student visa the course had to be at diploma level and ar specified type of colle, private colleges were excluded. I presume you've checked this out and that your college is accepted by the visa people.

PS proper colleges include medical cover in the fees.

Yes when applying for the visa you have to select the place your going to study and my college was on the list so I assume this is accepted