Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Where in Canada would you go if....

Where in Canada would you go if....

Old Feb 21st 2008, 6:32 pm
Forum Regular

carolinedraper is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Where in Canada would you go if....

I say head for Quinte region. We are in PEC, best of everything.
Old Feb 21st 2008, 6:40 pm
Forum Regular

KANIYANG is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Re: Where in Canada would you go if....

Hi,
How far is calgary to edmonton or rather how many mins drive btw them, trying to decide where to settle for.
Old Feb 21st 2008, 6:45 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by KANIYANG
Hi,
How far is calgary to edmonton or rather how many mins drive btw them, trying to decide where to settle for.
On average Calgary to Edmonton is a three hour drive.
Old Feb 21st 2008, 6:56 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by carolinedraper
I say head for Quinte region. We are in PEC, best of everything.
Shhhhh, we dont really want to share with all the riff raff that comes here do we?
Old Feb 21st 2008, 7:02 pm
Forum Regular

carolinedraper is an unknown quantity at this point

OOOoo forgot about that!!!!

Too true best kept secret and I think it should remain so
Old Feb 25th 2008, 1:58 am
Just Joined

britchik is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,
There are a lot of differences between these two cities that you should consider such as climate, affordability, proximity to the Rockies, economic fundamentals and the type of work you are looking for.
Old Feb 25th 2008, 10:28 am
Forum Regular

Hopefully OH will get a job in Calgary, but we wont like to stay there, any suggestions on where one can stay and drive daily to and from calgary
Old Feb 25th 2008, 10:30 am
Forum Regular

Thanks . How far is Quinte region to Calgary
Old Feb 25th 2008, 11:31 am
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks . How far is Quinte region to Calgary
About 4 hrs ..... by plane!

(It's a darn big country.)
Old Mar 12th 2008, 6:06 pm
G77
BE Forum Addict

G77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond repute

Bump for this thread as it looks like I'm getting close to an offer now

Any further suggestions?

Anything around Calgary or Vancouver that meets the criteria? (ducks) Probably not, in terms of housing anyway....
Old Mar 12th 2008, 6:30 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat
About 4 hrs ..... by plane!

(It's a darn big country.)
Actually its nearer 7, including either the hour to Kingston for the feeder flight, or 2 hrs to drive to Pearson.

To drive, Google tells me its 3659 km – about 1 day 12 hours from my door (or 1 day 21hrs if you want to stay in canada the whole time), but I cant imagine anyone actually driving it in that time?

Last edited by iaink; Mar 12th 2008 at 6:32 pm.
Old Mar 12th 2008, 6:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ontheboatout has much to be proud ofOntheboatout has much to be proud ofOntheboatout has much to be proud ofOntheboatout has much to be proud ofOntheboatout has much to be proud ofOntheboatout has much to be proud ofOntheboatout has much to be proud ofOntheboatout has much to be proud ofOntheboatout has much to be proud ofOntheboatout has much to be proud ofOntheboatout has much to be proud of

North Shore Nova Scotia fits all your criteria.

A great house for $300K possibly with pool (there's one on sale now near Pictou)

High Speed internet - I'm on 54Mbps

Halifax Airport (ok, just over an hour but easy driving as there is no traffic!)

Great and real community spirit, good schools, good doc, hospital

Minimal crime - we never lock our house or car

Combined with warm sea, great beaches, golf courses, closeness to New Brunswick and PEI, it's a great location.

Google Tatamgouche, Malagash, Pictou or pm for any other information

Originally Posted by G77
.... you wanted to meet the following criteria :-

* Can buy a 3 bed house (semi or detached) or better for $300K
* Has high speed (preferably cable) internet access
* Has access to an airport with good connections to the US within 1 hr's drive
* Is good for a family oriented life
* Low or minimal crime

Currently on the list is areas on the east of the GTA and Ottawa (Kanata). This is mainly through lack of knowledge of other areas though, so looking for suggestions.

I may have an opportunity on the horizon which allows me to pick a location anywhere in Canada, so I'm looking into potential areas which meet the above criteria.

Thanks for your help.....
Old Mar 12th 2008, 6:36 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ontheboatout
closeness to New Brunswick and PEI
How is this an advantage?
Old Mar 12th 2008, 6:41 pm

minihaha is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi. Lethbridge also ticks all your boxes. Check out the Wiki and all the local infos on there.
Sorry havent got time to add the ton of links I have but you can get 4 bed new builds for less than $ 300,000 here.

We moved here after 2 years living in Calgary and we have settled in lovely and could not fault the city one bit. Small town family friendly atmosphere and the peeps here are soo nice.

Has everything pretty much Calgary has with the exception of a curry house wich myself and some other Brits might seek to remedy soon.

Sounds like you have a ton of options so happy hunting.

x Mrs Minihaha in warm and sunny Lethbridge
Old Mar 12th 2008, 7:45 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by G77
Anything around ... Vancouver that meets the criteria? (ducks) Probably not, in terms of housing anyway....
The Sunshine Coast, north west of Vancouver will do the job. Might even get a sea view as well.

The airport is two hours away because of the ferry crossing, but otherwise it ticks all the boxs.

There is also a direct bus service to YVR, according to the the service schedule it runs EVERY day. By every day I mean it goes in the morning and comes back in the evening. A proper bus service.

Last edited by JonboyE; Mar 12th 2008 at 7:49 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.